Imagine the Absurd- Is it Legal?

patfitz

Let's disregard the motive for a minute and simply consider the legality. What if Mary Wilson decides to sell the Bills, to say Jim Kelly for what her late husband paid to start the franchise, or alternatively deed it to the Erie County or the city of Buffalo for $1. Are any of these options even legal? I simply ask because it is unclear to me to extent what the NFL has legal jurisdication in a business transaction involving a private sale. Any experts care to weigh in?

Edited by patfitz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's disregard the motive for a minute and simply consider the legality. What if Mary Wilson decides to sell the Bills, to say Jim Kelly for what her late husband paid to start the franchise, or alternatively deed it to the Erie County or the city of Buffalo for $1. Are any of these options even legal? I simply ask because it is unclear to me to extent what the NFL has legal jurisdication in a business transaction involving a private sale. Any experts care to weigh in?

You own a $900M business and you want to sell it for $25K or less? I'm not sure what to say.

It would depend on what the Trust says. That's the legally binding document you'd have to follow here first. Generally speaking, if you own something, regardless of how valuable it is, and you want to give it away for free or for much less than it is worth, you can do it. This is America after all.

Edited by Mark80

Just given the fact that a supermajority of the owners need to approve a sale makes me think this is out of the realm of possibility.

Sure is a nice idea though, I'll give you that.

+1. The majority of owners (75% sticks in my mind but not sure if that’s the number) have to approve the sale and no way someone like Jerry Jones would go for this since it would most likely affect the value of their franchises.

Just like if you sell your house for much less than the market value, it will lower the value of your neighbor’s homes until others sell because values are based on comparable sales. In that situation, you can do whatever you want but imagine if your neighbors had the right to veto your sale.

+1. The majority of owners (75% sticks in my mind but not sure if that’s the number) have to approve the sale and no way someone like Jerry Jones would go for this since it would most likely affect the value of their franchises.

Just like if you sell your house for much less than the market value, it will lower the value of your neighbor’s homes until others sell because values are based on comparable sales. In that situation, you can do whatever you want but imagine if your neighbors had the right to veto your sale.

He's only asking if it's legal. Obviously it would never happen, but it is legal if the trust allows it.

Such a nice idea, and conceptually legal for sure. But yea, as I've harped about on this thread in the past - NFL Owners won't let anyone devalue their toy collection.

Just like most powerful and influential enormous corporations, rules can and will be bent and changed for them in the courts. Not to mention that they can tie up opponents in court costing them millions if necessary, which is chump change for the NFL.

I anticipate that this whole notion that the Bills can't leave Buffalo until 2020 will play out quite differently for exactly that reason. Despite the fact that we all want the team to remain here, the fact is that the region simply is no longer capable of sustaining an NFL team, by the NFL's corporate-driven standards along with PSL licensing, whether we are honest enough to admit that to ourselves or not being irrelevant.

Buffalo is a blue collar "lunch pail" kinda town, not one that fits the current NFL model for teams. I personally can't stand where the NFL has taken itself, but unfortunately that doesn't matter either.

It wasn't that long ago that the Bills were competitive, only 20 years or so ago, and during the Kelly/Bruce/Thurman/Reed era, it was still very much a blue-collar kinda gig. For us Buffalonians it still is, but for the NFL it is not.

I see this pushing north of the border and much more quickly than we all assume. $400M is really not all that much, and all it's going to take is a new owner telling the county, behind closed doors of course, that he/she/they will simply let the team "rot" in Buffalo for its last few years, or they can take the grease money and feign something like that the county gets nothing if the team simply leaves and that "this way" the county would at least get a buyout at a fraction of that $400M, which of course they'll sell to the public as a good deal.

Entirely lost will be the irony that having and NFL team is supposed to have a net positive impact on the economy, including getting all those taxpayer dollars back, a false notion, but one that will be stood on its head nonetheless if/when that happens, likely without anyone challenging it like that.

This entire thing, including where the NFL has taken itself, could not be a whole lot more tragic, particularly for WNY-ers.

And frankly, if we cannot have a "blue collar" team/stadium etc., then I'm not sure that I'm all that interested. I've seen what this does, as many of us have, to football in other cities, like D.C. for example.

Just given the fact that a supermajority of the owners need to approve a sale makes me think this is out of the realm of possibility.

Sure is a nice idea though, I'll give you that.

I thought this too but do they have the power to agree on the money aspect of the sale? I think they have a say (vote) on the approval of the potential new owner and things like that but my guess is they can't say boo about the money.