CB in Round 1

I wouldn't get too worried. They could get him later than 9... also due diligence if someone wants to trade up to them in the 2nd rd if Fuller is still there - SD is a team who is desperate at corner and could very well give up picks to get one like that if they went DL in the 1st. Teams work out guys who they may not be able to draft or plan on drafting to assess trade value at whatever pick he might land to them and other info.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I wouldn't get too worried. They could get him later than 9... also due diligence if someone wants to trade up to them in the 2nd rd if Fuller is still there - SD is a team who is desperate at corner and could very well give up picks to get one like that if they went DL in the 1st. Teams work out guys who they may not be able to draft or plan on drafting to assess trade value at whatever pick he might land to them and other info.

I will echo these sentiments. I'm not worried about it. We'll probably grab a depth DB later, but we have our starters.

Rob Quinn@RQUINN619 47m

13 drafts Whaley was with Steelers, they had 104 total picks.. 37 of them were DB/WR and only 4 times that DB/WR wasn't 1 of first 2 picks

13 drafts? Thought he was only there 10 years? 1999-2009. Here's how that plays out:

http://goo.gl/6SiiYb

From 1999 until 2009.

I count 4 DB's taken in the first two rounds, and only one of them (Palamalu) taken in the first.

The others:

1. Ricardo Colclough (2004)
  2. Scott Shields (1999)
  3. Bryant McFadden (2005)

And 5 WR's taken in the first two rounds, all of them taken in the first except Atwan Randal-El.

The others:

1. Troy Edwards (1999)

2. Santonio Holmes (2006)

3. Plaxico Burress (2000)

4. Limas Sweed (2008)

Mr. Quinn's is a very confusing/very misleading factoid, IMO.

Edited by The Big Cat

13 drafts? Thought he was only there 10 years? 1999-2009. Here's how that plays out:

http://goo.gl/6SiiYb

From 1999 until 2009.

I count 4 DB's taken in the first two rounds, and only one of them (Palamalu) taken in the first.

The others:

1. Ricardo Colclough (2004)

2. Scott Shields (1999)

3. Bryant McFadden (2005)

And 5 WR's taken in the first two rounds, all of them taken in the first except Atwan Randal-El.

The others:

1. Troy Edwards (1999)

2. Santonio Holmes (2006)

3. Plaxico Burress (2000)

4. Limas Sweed (2008)

Mr. Quinn's is a very confusing/very misleading factoid, IMO.

Maybe he's just confused. lol.

Not too worried, just a visit and the guy could easily be taken by the Jets. Don't think the Bills would entertain the thought of CB in the first, probably a option if he is BPA in the 2nd or have a cheap trade up deal. VT defenders have a bad track record, haven't watched much on the guy all I know is it definetly seems like Gilbert/Dennard are considered better talents. For the record if we are talking about CB's I've watched every MSU game the past 2 seasons and Dennard will be a top 15 CB in this league.

If anything maybe we see a vet brought in after the draft but with the Graham signing idk.

Can any VT fans give us some bits about him? Hate when people just copy/paste, some amateur reports are so off and often conflict with themselves=P

I highly doubt that a CB is the pick at 9. That said, if Graham is going to move to FS like Marrone mentioned could happen, the Bills are dangerously thin at CB. Robey, while a phenomenal slot corner would get torched on the outside. Considering Brooks is the next man down on the depth chart, it would be nice to have someone with the height and speed to play the position. I wouldn't be shocked if a CB would be our #41 pick, especially if we wind up trading back.

Absolutely not...if they want a CB, go out and get Stanley Jean-Baptiste. (Or Keith McGill)

He can play CB and he could step in at FS, as well...they say he is going to be a poor man's Richard Sherman. (I think he'll be just as good, within time.)

Both of these guys are 6-3 and 210+ lbs...

Stanley Jean-Baptiste:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/stanley-jean-baptiste?id=2543736

Keith McGill:

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/keith-mcgill?id=2543762

Edited by Bob Malooga

Absolutely not...if they want a CB, go out and get Stanley Jean-Baptiste. (Or Keith McGill)

He can play CB and he could step in at FS, as well...they say he is going to be a poor man's Richard Sherman. (I think he'll be just as good, within time.)

Both of these guys are 6-3 and 210+ lbs...

Stanley Jean-Baptiste:

http://www.nfl.com/c...iste?id=2543736

Keith McGill:

http://www.nfl.com/c...gill?id=2543762

i agree with this. especially since the success the seahawks have had with the tall physical corners

I would be somewhat disappointed if the Bills selected Fuller at pick 9, though the highly respected Mike Mayock has him as the 2nd best CB in this draft. I have not seen anything that would suggest that Fuller would be one of the top 15-20 players in this year's draft and I don't see CB as an urgent need, so I am not seeing any way this would line up, unless he were available in round 2. Even still, I don't understand how you would project him to beat out Gilmore or mckelvin for playing time.

While I freely acknowledge that the pros deserve the benefit of the doubt - esp after what looks like a very good draft last year, I would still be confused and under-whelmed with Fuller in round 1 (even in round 2)

Edited by OldTimer1960

I would be somewhat disappointed if the Bills selected Fuller at pick 9, though the highly respected Mike Mayock has him as the 2nd best CB in this draft. I have not seen anything that would suggest that Fuller would be one of the top 15-20 players in this year's draft and I don't see CB as an urgent need, so I am not seeing any way this would line up, unless he were available in round 2. Even still, I don't understand how you would project him to beat out Gilmore or mckelvin for playing time.

While I freely acknowledge that the pros deserve the benefit of the doubt - esp after what looks like a very good draft last year, I would still be confused and under-whelmed with Fuller in round 1 (even in round 2)

The may take him in round 2 (or 3) of he is there but I suspect that they are bringing in so many corners because of their draft position at the top of the 2nd and the fact that there are a lot of CB-needy teams and corner is highly coveted position. The overall strength of this year's draft is undoubtedly going to push good players down who have 1st or 2nd grade talent. There could very well be teams happy to trade picks to get Fuller or Roby or any other CB they bring in and they need to go through the vetting process. I also think this is why they brought in Shazier. Some team is going to want that kid at the top of the 2nd if he is still available.

The may take him in round 2 (or 3) of he is there but I suspect that they are bringing in so many corners because of their draft position at the top of the 2nd and the fact that there are a lot of CB-needy teams and corner is highly coveted position. The overall strength of this year's draft is undoubtedly going to push good players down who have 1st or 2nd grade talent. There could very well be teams happy to trade picks to get Fuller or Roby or any other CB they bring in and they need to go through the vetting process. I also think this is why they brought in Shazier. Some team is going to want that kid at the top of the 2nd if he is still available.

I hope that you are right (or that I am wrong and Fuller really is a top 10 talent).

To be clear, I am not opposed to further bolstering the defense, even as early as round 1. It is just that (from what I've read/ heard), none of the CBs except maybe Dennard are very top prospects. Even if Mike Evans is gone, I'd rather have Marquise Lee, Odell Bekham or Brandon Cooks than Fuller. Likewise, any of the 3 top OTs and maybe Zach Martin, too. I am not a big Ebron fan, but I'd gamble on him before Fuller. On D, Mack, Mosley, (possibly Barr), and Aaron Donald would be higher on my list.

Even if they were to trade down 10 spots, I think that there would be better players than Fuller available (purely based on what I've read - I am not really qualified to do my own scouting).

Pretty misleading thread title...how about a change to "Kyle Fuller Visits One Bills Drive"?

Exactly. Do we need a thread started for every visit or interview? Than followed by the sky is falling we are going punter at 9! Damn you Jauron, Damn you Levy! Damn you Donaputs!

Seriously, if they took Fuller in the 1st, I am done. No one franchise can own that much stupidity and spread it across several management regimes.

It's just not possible. My guess is…it's the smokescreen to get Pittsburgh or another team to trade up to 9 for a CB.

LMAO after all these years you guys still buy all the smoke and BS coming from OBD.

They're not looking at Fuller as a possibility at #9...That much I can pretty much guarantee...In a trade down, or in the 2nd maybe (if he slides a bit)...But not at #9...No way... B-)

Exactly

Fuller's skillset matches the Bills' prototype in the backfield. One of the most versatile players in the Draft, Fuller can play outside at Corner, inside at Nickel, back deep at Safety, and has even played in the box as a Linebacker . His versatility is unmatched.

However, not at 9.

There are several teams on the 19-29 slots that want backfield, and we're checking Fuller's value to us vs value of a tradedown. or two.

I really think that it's not a smoke screen and they are going their due diligence in putting together a BPA list. Now the smokescreen will come when they talk to other scouts but I feel like they are putting themselves in a position to get good value if a trade down offer happens that they can't refuse.

Edited by SJDK

Pretty misleading thread title...how about a change to "Kyle Fuller Visits One Bills Drive"?

How is it misleading? The draft has yet to happen and accordingly we have drafted no one thus far.

It is no different than OT in RD 1 or WR in RD1....

If I put a question mark after it, would it make that much different??

Some interesting things about the cornerback and safety position- if we can speculate from the Bills pre-draft visitors and one list (Walter Football's 5 round mock draft, is what I used here- nothing special and had to start somewhere)

FIRST, the safety position. Since we lost all-world&universe Jaris Byrd, one might suspect that the Bills would be bringing in safeties by the dozens to desperately search for a replacement. "Walter's" mock shows the following number of safeties drafted in each round. ROUND ONE= 3, ROUND TWO= 3, ROUND THREE= 4, ROUND FOUR= 5, ROUND FIVE= 2. Number that the Bills have brought in for a look-see? ZERO. Hint, they seem to feel that the safety position is not a priority.

SECOND, the cornerback position. What I have in the following list is the {{{round/overall pick}}} that "walter" has a CB being drafted as well as which ones have the Bills brought it.

1/11

..................................................#9 a Bills pick

1/13 Roby(Ohio State)....BILLS BROUGHT HIM IN

1/24

2/46

2/34 Fuller(V Tech)....BILLS BROUGHT HIM IN

..................................................#41 a Bills pick

2/51

2/56

3/73 Breeland....BILS BROUGH HIM IN..............#72 a Bills pick

3/86

3/89

3/90

3/99

.....................................................#105 a Bills pick

4/125

4/126

4/134

...........................................................#137 a Bills pick

5/159....Aikens (Liberty)....BILLS BROUGH HIM IN

5/168....Cockrell (Duke)...BILLS BROUGH HIM IN

..............................................................#169 a Bills pick

5/174

5/176...Gaines (Rice).....BILLS BROUGH HIM IN

To me the following might be.

The Bills are planning on picking a CB with their 5th round pick and,

the Bills are setting the table for a trade down of their first, second or third round picks by somebody desperate to get the CB that they had in for a visit. Maybe they might draft one themselves, but with RIGHT OT, DE, LB, OG and TE as higher needs, I don't see that happening.

I don't think they go corner in round one, but if they do trade back some of those guys might be in the conversation as BPA. I agree with mayrland bills fan above - I think the Bills feel comfortable with converting Graham to safety and are going to look for another corner somewhere in this draft (although I suspect their preference is to take a guy in the middle rounds rather than early).

How is it misleading? The draft has yet to happen and accordingly we have drafted no one thus far.

It is no different than OT in RD 1 or WR in RD1....

If I put a question mark after it, would it make that much different??

IMO it was misleading. The crux of the PFT item was that Fuller was visiting the Bills...the thread title seemed to imply that the discussion would center around the idea that the Bills will be taking a CB in round 1.

It's just my opinion, but I feel that the title and content were not in concert with each other.

They definitely will draft a CB in the 5th round as that is where the three small school, under-the-radar guys are likely to be taken. In the first three rounds, they have brought in (see my post #28 above) guys who would very likely be available at the Bills' pick in each of the first three rounds. I can see two reasons for this. The first is that the Bills are showing other teams that they just might take that CB with their pick. (Why else bring the CB in for a look?). If another team has him high on their draft board and are hoping that he falls to them, they might want to move up a couple of places to be sure of getting him. We get more picks in a deep draft that can be used for either the additional pick, to bundle and used to move up a lower round pick, or we might get a next-highest round pick in 2015. .....OR, they might just pick another corner- maybe because other targeted players all got taken.

I think the round 1,2,3 cornerback visits is a draft day ploy by a ONES BILLS DRIVE team that moved down in the draft last year. Sneaky guys.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan