Mathews or Glenn at LT??

Obviously it's not a given that the Bills will select LT/RT J. Mathews or that he will even last until the #9 pick overall, but for the sake of argument let's assume that he does make it to #9 and the Bills smartly select him.

Would it be a given that he would play RT?? Not necessarily.

Glenn has proven to be a very capable LT, there's no doubt about that, but if Mathews proves to be even better, and by my estimation he is definitely a better LT than Glenn, then I think the Bills would play Mathews at LT and Glenn at RT. That would certainly make us very strong at the OT position for many years to come.

When you consider that aspect of it, Mathews becomes very highly coveted.

For the most part, RTs are a dime a dozen. LTs are not. Because LTs have to protect the QB's blind side (considering that most NFL QBs are right-handed) and go up against the opposition's best, most athletic pass rusher for the most part, they are much more in demand and well worth a top ten selection.

Considering that Mathews would have been the #1 selection overall last year had he opted for the draft as a Junior and that the three top OTs in this year's draft (Mathews/Robinson/Lewan) are all considered to be better than the top two OTs that were drafted last year in the top 5, that should really tell you the kind of player that Mathews is and the great value that the Bills would be getting at #9 overall.

For my money, being able to select J. Mathews at #9 overall would be a God-send for EJ Manuel and the Bills. He is my pick for the Bills in R1.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think initially Mathews would play RT for at least next year

I dont think there is much difference anymore between RT and LT like there used to be when teams would primarily lineup in 2 WR 2 back 1 TE formations the majority of the time.

I'd keep Glenn at LT until he shows otherwise. At this time during his draft, all the talk was about how he would barely scratch by as a RT & would probably be a lot better off playing OG in the NFL. LT was certainly out of the question. All he's done is played his butt off and become a very good LT. He only allowed 1.5 sacks on a team that gave up 48. Resigning him is essential to the success of this line long term.

I like Matthews a lot but he can play either spot as he demonstrated in his 48 starts at A&M. If I'm Marrone, I'd much rather show my players that spots are earned and not just given away. Glenn has earned his LT spot so it's his until he proves otherwise. The tackle spots are pretty close to interchangeable in today's game. A lot of defenses have 2 very good pass rushers which they use to attack both sides of the line. Having two very good tackles lets you have your OT's take on those 2 guys 1 on 1 instead of having to commit a TE or RB to stay in and block.

I think initially Mathews would play RT for at least next year

I dont think there is much difference anymore between RT and LT like there used to be when teams would primarily lineup in 2 WR 2 back 1 TE formations the majority of the time.

I agree. Players such as Mario line up all over the place as well.

If we were so blessed with two such talented OTs I would let them both have time at both LT and RT in camp and the preseason. I would pencil in Matthews at RT, but make it clear the best man at LT will start there. Winning Football is about putting the best players in the best position to win the game. If Matthews is better than Glenn at LT, then that is where he should be. If Glenn is better at LT, then that is where he should be. You earn a spot by being the best man on the team at that position, not by what you did a year ago, but who is better in the NOW. And if it changes during the season, then so be it, whoever is the better at the position should play there. It is not about a players EGO, it is about WINNING as a team.

Edited by simpleman

Obviously it's not a given that the Bills will select LT/RT J. Mathews or that he will even last until the #9 pick overall, but for the sake of argument let's assume that he does make it to #9 and the Bills smartly select him.

Glenn has proven to be a very capable LT, there's no doubt about that, but if Mathews proves to be even better, and by my estimation he is definitely a better LT than Glenn, then I think the Bills would play Mathews at LT and Glenn at RT. That would certainly make us very strong at the OT position for many years to come.

For the most part, RTs are a dime a dozen. LTs are not. Because LTs have to protect the QB's blind side (considering that most NFL QBs are right-handed) and go up against the opposition's best, most athletic pass rusher for the most part, they are much more in demand and well worth a top ten selection.

Considering that Mathews would have been the #1 selection overall last year had he opted for the draft as a Junior and that the three top OTs in this year's draft (Mathews/Robinson/Lewan) are all considered to be better than the top two OTs that were drafted last year in the top 5, that should really tell you the kind of player that Mathews is and the great value that the Bills would be getting at #9 overall.

For my money, being able to select J. Mathews at #9 overall would be a God-send for EJ Manuel and the Bills. He is my pick for the Bills in R1.

What is the basis of your arguement that Matthews is a better LT? He's not played a single down in the NFL. A statement like that shows your ignorance to the transition from the NCAA to the NFL. There are absolutely no guarantees in football. Matthews has a 50/50 shot of being a stud at the next level, as does any prospect in this draft.

You can be sure that the Bills will put the best player at LT.

Bill Parcells once said, "Get me a stud LT and I'll fill in the rest" (i.e. the rest of the O-line).

My point above is that the Bills would be getting a stud LT in J. Mathews, not just a RT. In fact, they would be getting a better LT than they already have on the roster. That makes him very worthy of the #9 selection overall. His value to the team would be greatly helping to improve the running, the passing game, and helping to keep EJ healthy for 16 games.

I don't think that it's a reach to project that Mathews would be a better LT than Glenn given the info that I provided above.

You can be sure that the Bills will put the best player at LT.

Bill Parcells once said, "Get me a stud LT and I'll fill in the rest" (i.e. the rest of the O-line).

My point above is that the Bills would be getting a stud LT in J. Mathews, not just a RT. In fact, they would be getting a better LT than they already have on the roster. That makes him very worthy of the #9 selection overall. His value to the team would be greatly helping to improve the running, the passing game, and helping to keep EJ healthy for 16 games.

I don't think that it's a reach to project that Mathews would be a better LT than Glenn given the info that I provided above.

They are NOT getting a better LT than is on the roster. Glenn is now a veteran, a young veteran, who only gave up 1.5 sacks last year. Posts like this are what make me end up getting banned for a week due to the pure stupidity and lack of any football knowledge whatso ever of the poster

Posts like this are what make me end up getting banned for a week due to the pure stupidity and lack of any football knowledge whatso ever of the poster

I have a feeling that your attitude contributes more to this than others' posts.

Just sayin'

Glenn is the 7th best LT in the NFL. he isn't being moved anywhere for anyone.

this . . . :thumbsup:

Yes, draft Matthews if he's there, put him at RT . . . strengthens the entire line, and gives you insurance if Glenn gets hurt, or walks at the end of his contract

Drafting Matthews means the Bills will not be re-signing one of their best young players in Cordy Glenn. This move would make me lose faith that Whaley/Brandon are doing anything different than before where we kept drafting running backs or cornerbacks to replace young players we let go to free agency.

Here's a radical proposal. Let's keep our best young players and ADD to them so we can compete for a playoff spot.

Edited by jeffismagic

Drafting Matthews means the Bills will not be re-signing one of their best young players in Cordy Glenn. This move would make me lose faith that Whaley/Brandon are doing anything different than before where we kept drafting running backs or cornerbacks to replace young players we let go to free agency.

Here's a radical proposal. Let's keep our best young players and ADD to them so we can compete for a playoff spot.

Why? The 9th pick in the draft on a four year deal is relatively inexpensive. Easily could have both. I can only think you're saying this to try and find any reason to slam the FO.

Why? The 9th pick in the draft on a four year deal is relatively inexpensive. Easily could have both. I can only think you're saying this to try and find any reason to slam the FO.

I am not looking for a reason to slam the front office until they give me one. I loved their draft last year but if they take a tackle with a top ten pick I will be enraged. This means Cordy Glenn will most likely not be resigned. Can we afford both for a few years? Sure. But when Glenn is up to resign having another player that can play left tackle already on the roster WILL play a role in what the front office offers.

You can make the same argument for cornerbacks. Having two great shut down corners would be great but you can only afford to pay one a big contract. My preference would be to find a player that is a mauler and athletic in the 2nd or 3rd round and draft them as a right tackle. Ignoring salary cap is not the way to run a team.

Edited by jeffismagic

It would be very smart of the bills to take Mathews

It would not be very smart to put him at LT when we already have a solid LT (lets face it...Glenn is BETTER then solid) so that then it can become a problem in contract negotiations

You draft Mathews....who will have a very affordable rookie OT contract.....and you restructure Glenn as soon as possible to give him his money....AND YOU KEEP THEM AT THEIR POSITIONS

Then....if god forbid an injury happens at LT.....you have a very good option to move into that spot. Nobody is talking about that......injuries can really make us wish we had rethought draft selections.