Mathews or Glenn at LT??

If we were so blessed with two such talented OTs I would let them both have time at both LT and RT in camp and the preseason. I would pencil in Matthews at RT, but make it clear the best man at LT will start there. Winning Football is about putting the best players in the best position to win the game. If Matthews is better than Glenn at LT, then that is where he should be. If Glenn is better at LT, then that is where he should be. You earn a spot by being the best man on the team at that position, not by what you did a year ago, but who is better in the NOW. And if it changes during the season, then so be it, whoever is the better at the position should play there. It is not about a players EGO, it is about WINNING as a team.

From the players stand point it's not about any of that, it's about money.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe we are actually entertaining this dialogue from an athletic perfect size, speed, and skills to be a rock for the next four years.

2012. 6 sacks allowed as a rookie

2013. 1.5 sacks allowed

Glenn is a Pro Bowler and would take him over Jason Peters anyway as he is durable. Also, have you thought if you keep Cordy Glenn at LT, resign him as early as possible so in the beginning of his 4 th year, and if you have Matthews you get him for 5 years if you take that option.

The other conversation which I agree on NFL Radio is the days of RT a dime a dozen are over. With 65% passing in so many NFL, you have to protect both sides well. Two months ago I wanted a big WR like Evans, but now with Williams, the idea of Matthews as our RT would be fantastic. It would also move us potentially to the #1 running team in the NFL which makes it even easier for EJ to do his job.

We have to hope these QBs don't drop and four of the, are taken by the top picks in the draft. If they are plus Mack and Clowney gone, plus Watkins and Ezans, it is possible Robinson or Matthews are there.

Go Bills!

They are NOT getting a better LT than is on the roster. Glenn is now a veteran, a young veteran, who only gave up 1.5 sacks last year. Posts like this are what make me end up getting banned for a week due to the pure stupidity and lack of any football knowledge whatso ever of the poster

I agree its unlikely that a rook would ever come in and win the LT job, Glenn will be even better this year if he stays healthy. I still take a tackle high in this draft though, start him at RT. Most importantly WE NEED A LEFT GUARD PEOPLE. Forget the free agency fodder we picked up, last year it was a turnstile and it needs to get fixed asap.

The best offensive weapons and gameplanning in the world mean nothing if your line has holes. We are in for another 50 sack season and injured qb's if our LG is not adequate.

I agree its unlikely that a rook would ever come in and win the LT job, Glenn will be even better this year if he stays healthy. I still take a tackle high in this draft though, start him at RT. Most importantly WE NEED A LEFT GUARD PEOPLE. Forget the free agency fodder we picked up, last year it was a turnstile and it needs to get fixed asap.

The best offensive weapons and gameplanning in the world mean nothing if your line has holes. We are in for another 50 sack season and injured qb's if our LG is not adequate.

Serious question: which QB injury did our LG cause?

This ^^^ :thumbsup:

/endthread

Very well said. I still want to know how the OP definitely knows Mathews is better, and good RTs are not a dime a dozen, that thinking needs to be and is being updated.

I honestly don't know if this is a master troll job or if people actually think like this!

The pay scales for top offensive tackles is much different for the left and right sides.

The top 10 LEFT offensive tackles go $12.6M to $5.5M

The top 10 RIGHT offensive tackles go $7.0M to $3.0M.

The bottom 16 of 32 LOT and ROT stream downwards from $3.8M or $2.0M.

(these are cap numbers from http://overthecap.co...=LT&Year=2013 )

If you draft a top LEFT offensive tackle and want to keep him past his rookie contract, be prepared to spend $8-10M a year. If you draft a top RIGHT offensive tackle, you will pay him $5 - $7M a year. Most of the league pays the position less than $2M a year.

It would be unwise and stupid to invest that much money and cap space to that position. It would be unwise and stupid to use up a top ten draft pick a RIGHT offensive tackle, when you can get a top guy in the late first or second round. We should trade down in the first round but still use one of our first two picks on a ROT and the other on a LB, DE or safety.

Shouldn't we wait until we have 2 top OT's on the roster? Why are you worried about 2018 today? Do you not want the strongest team possible between 2014 & 2018?

Shouldn't we wait until we have 2 top OT's on the roster? Why are you worried about 2018 today? Do you not want the strongest team possible between 2014 & 2018?

How do you feel about my post on the economics of 2014-2018.... That we can get a very good (top ten based on that posts numbers) RT for the pay the 9 pick will get paid, but we will only get a situational pass rusher, nickel corner, etc... At that price.... Long story short get a high end vet RT that's proven and swing for the fences on a high priced position instead of getting a situational vet at a key spot and swinging for the fences at RT

Part of the value of the pick is the discount and RT, to a degree, forgoes that discount unless he ends up the #1 RT in the league.

Similarly, you could say the RT would have to be elite to be worth the 3-4m pay, while another position might be a bust by #9 standards and still be a contractual value...

All questions that move the discussion from 2019 to today.

Great point. And count me as one who thinks that if the Bills draft an OT, the coaches should place him wherever they choose. This stuff about upsetting Glenn or hurting his feelings is a bit nauseating.

Great point. And count me as one who thinks that if the Bills draft an OT, the coaches should place him wherever they choose. This stuff about upsetting Glenn or hurting his feelings is a bit nauseating.

It's not about hurting its feelings, it's about the reality that it's a demotion and there'd be a line of teams ready to give him his old job back if it happened.

If you think it's a big upgrade, go for it but its a reality that there would be likely consequences and I wouldn't fault Glenn. Without going through the contracts and just using the number 1 LT vs 1RT pay, and the #10 likewise -- the pays like an 80% raise on the left side at both slots. (Disclaimer, again just using a post in the thread for numbers, don't know if they are 100% correct but broad strokes I think the concept stands)

Edited by NoSaint

How do you feel about my post on the economics of 2014-2018.... That we can get a very good (top ten based on that posts numbers) RT for the pay the 9 pick will get paid, but we will only get a situational pass rusher, nickel corner, etc... At that price.... Long story short get a high end vet RT that's proven and swing for the fences on a high priced position instead of getting a situational vet at a key spot and swinging for the fences at RT

Part of the value of the pick is the discount and RT, to a degree, forgoes that discount unless he ends up the #1 RT in the league.

Similarly, you could say the RT would have to be elite to be worth the 3-4m pay, while another position might be a bust by #9 standards and still be a contractual value...

All questions that move the discussion from 2019 to today.

If that pass rusher (Donald?) is worth his salt it is also a position of need. I don't know enough about him, but I see sentiment for him growing. The thing I worry about is whether people get distracted....squirrel!!!.......shiny.... (pass rusher=sacks) by the position. If he's good...we have a need opposite Mario.

But...that RT isn't coming via FA this off season, is he? More likely a pick later in the draft.

Not opposed to a pass rusher...(but I'll haunt your dreams if he turns into AM 2.0 :devil: )

If that pass rusher (Donald?) is worth his salt it is also a position of need. I don't know enough about him, but I see sentiment for him growing. The thing I worry about is whether people get distracted....squirrel!!!.......shiny.... (pass rusher=sacks) by the position. If he's good...we have a need opposite Mario.

But...that RT isn't coming via FA this off season, is he? More likely a pick later in the draft.

Not opposed to a pass rusher...(but I'll haunt your dreams if he turns into AM 2.0 :devil: )

You could sub corner, WR, or such in for pass rusher..... I was getting a bit broader with the concept than a particular player

And it may not work out for the 2014 bills in an ideal fashion but I'm not sure the short term patch outweighs the long term difference.... I've said before that a tackle may end up being the right pick but I'd be disappointed that the chips fell that way. I guess you could say it might be maximum available value for us but it wouldn't be great value for the 9th pick, if that makes sense

Edited by NoSaint

A sure fire starter day one , well rounded RT who is rating as the #1 or #2 tackle in the draft . And some are saying no. Potential probowler is consensus.

A guy that can move over and probably own the LT position if Glenn goes down ( heaven forbid ) .

And you guys are talking yourself out of this pick ?

We should be so lucky.

Move Glenn? thats not a need right now. worry about Matthews contract ? same.

Maybe in a couple years we can fret over that

A sure fire starter day one , well rounded RT who is rating as the #1 or #2 tackle in the draft . And some are saying no. Potential probowler is consensus.

A guy that can move over and probably own the LT position if Glenn goes down ( heaven forbid ) .

And you guys are talking yourself out of this pick ?

We should be so lucky.

Move Glenn? thats not a need right now. worry about Matthews contract ? same.

Maybe in a couple years we can fret over that

How long is the list of RTs in the league you would trade the #9 pick for if they were available?

How long is the list of RTs in the league you would trade the #9 pick for if they were available?

Im sorry i dont understand the question.

I only have two that i consider # 9 worthy though . and i consider them to be elite

This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel. It doesn't mean that I don't think that RT is important; it means that I don't feel that there is a RT in the world that I would use a top 10 pick on. I would just assume James or Bitonio or Moses in the 2nd.

this . . . :thumbsup:

Yes, draft Matthews if he's there, put him at RT . . . strengthens the entire line, and gives you insurance if Glenn gets hurt, or walks at the end of his contract

BINGO. This /\ + 1

So we're not going to agree. How can we when some of you think Glenn is a Pro Bowl player. If he's been to the Pro Bowl it's only because he had a ticket.

I just want to point out that I feel vey strongly that Matthews will be Buffalo's pick at #9 overall................................if he makes it that far. Why?? Because he will be the best player on the board at #9 overall, because he's good enough to be selected #2 overall, because Buffalo's HC (a former NFL OL himself) believes strongly that a solid O-line is a very high priority, because Matthews could become a starting LT in the NFL, and because his daddy was a 19 yr NFL veteran OL who is in the HOF.

Let me ask you this, who do you project to be a better player in the NFL long term, Glenn or Matthews and why??

Who will make it to more Pro Bowls ...................and not because they have a ticket??

Serious question: which QB injury did our LG cause?

Ej's main injury was that hit as he ran out of bounds. Not related to LG as far as I remember, although he was scrambling which could have been due to a line breakdown. Maybe not.

I re-watch all of the plays on DVR, and remember how glaring our lack of LG play was (both brown and legursky) where we simply had no pocket for Thad or EJ despite Glenn and Wood doing their job. Most times it was 2 seconds and they were unable to set their feet so the throws were suffering and the plays were broken and even with Freddy in there chipping it was simply awful.

It was strange that so many people on the board were saying it was good we didn't re sign levitre and that our running game was OK so it was better to save the money. It was like they weren't watching the games or something. Go watch either Jets game and see how Richardson and Wilkerson just steamroll us up the middle. Embarrassing.

We can't go through that again.