Mathews or Glenn at LT??

I'm on record as believing that Matthews would be an outstanding pick at #9. To answer the OPs question...you don't move a known top producer for an unknown (at the NFL level).

I would personally love, love, love to see them line up shoulder to shoulder. I know it will never happen, but, oh my goodness.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think initially Mathews would play RT for at least next year

I dont think there is much difference anymore between RT and LT like there used to be when teams would primarily lineup in 2 WR 2 back 1 TE formations the majority of the time.

Isn't there still some premium associated with watching the QB's (gag) blind side? Or do I base most of my football knowledge off of movies and bubblegum wrappers?

In these days of free agency, ;you cannot count on retaining any of your draft picks. they will get paid whatever the market says they are worth. all you get to do is decide how much money up to the cap you are going to spend at what position. Now, Cordy Glenn has been and is a bargain for the Buffalo Bills. He will get a BIG payday when his contract is up....I think the rules allow the Bills to match. that will be their choice. having Mathews means having an heir apparent available under contract..if he, in fact, is left tackle material. Michael Oher went through that cycle with the Ravens.....RT, LT, free agent departure.......The NFL teams no longer have any hometown discount when talking about putting a roster together. Its kind of like making a movie...cast the actors you can afford...and see what happens. Some organizations are better than others at that. (see NE)

Someone, anyone, please explain why drafting Matthews, who's never played LT, means that te team won't re-sign Glenn.

So far, I've seen it suggested about a dozen times, but with absolutely zero justification...How's about those that proclaim it so provide some?

Someone, anyone, please explain why drafting Matthews, who's never played LT, means that te team won't re-sign Glenn.

So far, I've seen it suggested about a dozen times, but with absolutely zero justification...How's about those that proclaim it so provide some?

in this thread its because the OP is saying move glenn to RT.

IF they did that, then sure...most of the suggestions I've seen--in this thread and others--are that TE simple drafting of Matthews means Glenn won't be re-signed.

And I don't think there's any chance at all that they move Glenn.

it doesn't

true, but, there are other threads with posts that assume that if the Bills choose Matthews & play him at RT it means Glenn will walk because there is no way the Bills can/will pay two top OT's top OT money. Personally I don't get that, but, it is what is believed by some.

Glen is playing well and has two years left on his deal. What do you estimate his contract to be after this one? 8 mil per? Just under what the elite guys make?

I'd offer him the same deal that Branden Albert just signed the minute the 2014 season ends (which is the soonest he's allowed to sign a new deal).

true, but, there are other threads with posts that assume that if the Bills choose Matthews & play him at RT it means Glenn will walk because there is no way the Bills can/will pay two top OT's top OT money. Personally I don't get that, but, it is what is believed by some.

ive said that we are unlikely to pay them both probowl LT dollars, should the best case scenario play out and they are both great. that however would put the decision 4 years down the line, not with paying glenn now.... and the decision might not be ours, unless we are willing to have the highest paid RT in the league by a margin (assuming he plays great and thinks he can be a LT). if he doesnt play to that level, was he worth a top ten pick? its an interesting way to frame it i think.

I'd offer him the same deal that Branden Albert just signed the minute the 2014 season ends (which is the soonest he's allowed to sign a new deal).

i wouldnt be shocked if he wants clady money, not albert.

though obviously getting the pay bump a year early makes a big difference in the career dollars so he may be interested in the offer.

Edited by NoSaint

ive said that we are unlikely to pay them both probowl LT dollars, should the best case scenario play out and they are both great. that however would put the decision 4 years down the line, not with paying glenn now.

Exactly...the decision is how the team would handle Matthews if he wanted to be paid LT money.

ive said that we are unlikely to pay them both probowl LT dollars, should the best case scenario play out and they are both great. that however would put the decision 4 years down the line, not with paying glenn now.

i wouldnt be shocked if he wants clady money, not albert.

though obviously getting the pay bump a year early makes a big difference in the career dollars so he may be interested in the offer.

That wouldn't surprise me either NoSaint.

I think that he'd take the pay bump early as you mentioned, but if not, I'd have no trouble going up to Clady $$...assuming he continues along his career arc he'll be we'll worth it.

Glenn is already a great LT in the league, he had to battle against top competition to get there, if you draft Matthews (or Lewan) you do so to play him on the right side of the line.

Next year you have to pay Glenn and if the rookie is good you re-sign him to keep him at RT, we already have Woods locked up for a couple of years and keep plugging guards from the street, never overpaid that position.

Edited by Fixxxer

The thing is what the beauty is of drafting Mathews (or Lewan for that matter)

picks are now slotted......and LESS then previously.....Mathews isnt gonna hold out because he isnt getting paid LT money because the draft picks are SLOTTED. And then he is into his initial contract for what......5 years?

Its a PERFECT time to bring in another outstanding OT

The thing is what the beauty is of drafting Mathews (or Lewan for that matter)

picks are now slotted......and LESS then previously.....Mathews isnt gonna hold out because he isnt getting paid LT money because the draft picks are SLOTTED. And then he is into his initial contract for what......5 years?

Its a PERFECT time to bring in another outstanding OT

Thank you! I wish I could make this required reading for everyone. (4 years with a club option for a 5th)

If Glenn continues to play well in 2014...sign him to his extension in the off season. If Matthews plays to expectations you have "bookend" tackles through the 2018 season.

Why would anyone consider not picking Matthews because of what may happen in 2018? We don't know where the cap will be in 2018. We don't know how the player's health will change by 2018. We don't know a lot about what will happen between May 2014 and February 2019.

We don't know where the cap will be in 2018.

shouldnt make a big difference unless you think how teams value a position as a percentage of cap is going to change.

4 years with a club option for a 5th

just a note, that the 5th year is a transition tag value, which would essentially be at LT pay used to calculate it.

i definitely understand the sentiment that of all the problems to have, two tackles that are great for 4 years is a great one to have though.

Why the hell is there talk of moving Glenn? He's been a damned rock at LT.

I totally agree, Glenn is a top 5 LT, who gets better by the minute. Show the man the respect he deserves.

Rookies play where they are told, Mathews, Lewan or Robinson will be playing RT, unless Cordy gets hurt.