Who believes in Manuel?

I read somewhere(can't remember where) that if there is a QB you want and your going to take him early the best place to take him is mid first. You won't over pay and you get fifth year option.

Well next year maybe we should :nana:

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no one is paying attention to K-9 because he disagrees with you? Heisman Trophy winning QB equals success, got it.

No, of course not. Tebow won the HT. 'Nuff said. Many people who are paid to assess college talent as it relates to the NFL have stated early and often there are 5 -1st Rd QBs in this draft. Will they all be correct? Not likely. Then again, they all said no QB last year was worthy of the 1st Round and -while all indicators appear to be accurate, only desperate teams jumped in anyway.

The normalized production of EJ's and Flacco's rookie seasons are vitually identical. As far as 2013 goes, Flacco returned to rookie/EJ-like production once again in what was his sixth year. I do not think Flacco is elite nor is he on a HOF path. I doubt he can justify that contract he received espcecially since Baltimore had to purge their roster to accomodate it.

He has held the starting job for 6 years (and not missed a game) and been good enough to get a consistently good team to the playoffs multiple times. Winning it all was surprising to me but Ozzie Newsome is generally credited with being one of the best organizational talent evaluators in the NFL and Flacco did not screw it up when they got their chance.

So, using Joe Flacco as the standard for EJ is not really setting the bar too high, imo.

Well, not even close-- unless you choose to remove the games he didn't play due to injury from the data curve, which is completely contrary to my point.

And, really, that's only one reason that a normalization curve is deceptive in this comparison. One of EJ's biggest criticisms has been that he is inconsistent. A normalized production metric will mask inconsistency.

Edited by Rocky Landing

No, of course not. Tebow won the HT. 'Nuff said. Many people who are paid to assess college talent as it relates to the NFL have stated early and often there are 5 -1st Rd QBs in this draft. Will they all be correct? Not likely. Then again, they all said no QB last year was worthy of the 1st Round and -while all indicators appear to be accurate, only desperate teams jumped in anyway.

I'm baffled by this QB class. Before the 2013 college season the top three were Bridgewater, Boyd, and Manziel. Boyd is is now at best a mid rounder. Bridgewater was sure fire now in some mocks he's falling. I don't know if Manziel's game translates to the NFL, but I believe based on his ego the worst places for him would be Cleveland or Buffalo. Was Blake Bortles on anyone's radar ten months ago? When I read his scouting reports I feel like I could just substitute Manuel's name. Derek Carr? Every time Jake Mathews is mentioned so is his genealogy, what about Carr's? The rest of the guys, I'd take one in the fourth.

I may guess that picking QBs is driven by need more than any other player. The Bills may have been the penultimate example. Waiting and waiting for the perfect guy. then having to pick . I think a couple 3 teams are in need regardless of smoke and mirrors going on now.

In your opinion, which again, no one's listening. There's a Heisman Trophy winner among this group and every year QB play at the college level improves as ex-NFL coaches take more reins there. I don't think Manuel will be good, unlike you who KNOWS everything.

You're shtick is old and boring. News flash: you don't know crap about the future -just like all the rest of humankind.

In your opinion which I'm listening and it's wrong.

In your opinion, which again, no one's listening. There's a Heisman Trophy winner among this group and every year QB play at the college level improves as ex-NFL coaches take more reins there. I don't think Manuel will be good, unlike you who KNOWS everything.

You're shtick is old and boring. News flash: you don't know crap about the future -just like all the rest of humankind.

:lol:

Right on, Chandler81. :thumbsup:

Well, not even close-- unless you choose to remove the games he didn't play due to injury from the data curve, which is completely contrary to my point.

And, really, that's only one reason that a normalization curve is deceptive in this comparison. One of EJ's biggest criticisms has been that he is inconsistent. A normalized production metric will mask inconsistency.

Normalized meaning one number divided by another. Comp% (completions normalized to attempts) TD%, INT%, Yds/game, YPA, sack%, etc. Flacco hasn't missed a start which is commendable. He gets alot of credit from me in that regard. Taking hits in the NFL is like being in a car wreck once a week. Answering the bell for 96 starts + 13 playoff games is not a fluke. Here's hoping that EJ's injuries were.

I read somewhere(can't remember where) that if there is a QB you want and your going to take him early the best place to take him is mid first. You won't over pay and you get fifth year option.

I wouldn't mind trying to trade back, to more or less try the EJ trade of last year. Maybe a OT or WR in the first, and QB in the second if a good one is still there. I wouldn't make it priority number one, but I would keep the option open.

What's with all the hostility?

That makes no sense. There have only been 48 Superbowls. With guys who have won multiples.

How many QB busts have there been over the years? Probably quadruple that number.

What said makes no sense because you dont have a fricken clue in what we have in EJ Manuel going into his second year without even a full season yet....

What is interesting is there were parts of last season that EJ actually played WELL......but even if he had played horribly it still would of held true that you cant judge him from his rookie season....

It is also true that people comparing him to the great QBs of the league also have no idea and are just hoping that he is that good....we should all be hoping his is that good because the bills are all in on EJ Manuel

I can see it now... unless the Bills win the Superbowl next year, EJ will be a bust, because Wilson did it, so why can't EJ?

One can dislike the pick, but as a QB,he was a project to begin with and everyone knew this including the Bills. This is why they signed Kolb. He had no QB coach, a rookie OC, and 2 rookie WRs, and a turnstyle at LG. He missed a ton of TC with injury and for a rookie QB that is tough to recoup but still looked good in his first 2 games, and IMO several of his games overall. I think the original question was who still believes in him, not let's all attack posters who don't fall in line with our own thoughts. I don't see any reason to not believe in him.

This should be who believes in Hackett. Gailey was light years ahead of Hackett. C.J. was much better under Gailey .

He also didn't play with a high ankle sprain.

One can dislike the pick, but as a QB,he was a project to begin with and everyone knew this including the Bills. This is why they signed Kolb. He had no QB coach, a rookie OC, and 2 rookie WRs, and a turnstyle at LG. He missed a ton of TC with injury and for a rookie QB that is tough to recoup but still looked good in his first 2 games, and IMO several of his games overall. I think the original question was who still believes in him, not let's all attack posters who don't fall in line with our own thoughts. I don't see any reason to not believe in him.

He also didn't play with a high ankle sprain.

Aw, I can't make predictions? :(