Game of Thrones Part Deax: The Readers Thread

Kevin

No problem at all. I wanted to make sure you knew there was more than just the next abbreviated season. I don't care at all about nitpicking the episode numbers. Hell, I think they might well change their minds and add a few, especially if the next book comes out this year.

You know HBO wants a full season...that's for sure.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to hear benioff state (inside the episode on Go) that jon's survival was more luck than anything else. I got the impression, which I thought they were trying to create, that there was some divine intervention there. Ramsey's constant volleys of arrows to take snow down, and his frustration when he couldn't, gave me the impression there was something more than luck going on?

Since when have "luck" and "divine intervention" not been interchangeable concepts? They're basically the same thing, dependent only on the observer's subjective view of reality as random or deterministic.

For the unknowing observer in our reality, yes. However, in a tv/book fantasy, we may find out that there IS a Lord of the Light who is guiding an outcome, because I'm pretty sure "luck" did not bring JS back to life.

Since when have "luck" and "divine intervention" not been interchangeable concepts? They're basically the same thing, dependent only on the observer's subjective view of reality as random or deterministic.

Good point, but it's a relevant distinction in terms of whether you see Jon as more of a Chosen One or as a Mr. Magoo.

I think it suggests that the popular subjective view of reality is as neither random nor deterministic, but as Wonderfully Purposefully Magical.

Edited by Cugalabanza

For the unknowing observer in our reality, yes. However, in a tv/book fantasy, we may find out that there IS a Lord of the Light who is guiding an outcome, because I'm pretty sure "luck" did not bring JS back to life.

I speculated several pages ago after Hodor's epic fate was revealed that there is a Lord of Light driving events, and it is Bran Stark

I speculated several pages ago after Hodor's epic fate was revealed that there is a Lord of Light driving events, and it is Bran Stark

yes, I read that here (and elsewhere), which is why I suggested there is a difference between luck and divine intervention.

If B&W view Snow's survival as a random lucky event, that would contradict the notion that some "being" resurrected him for a purpose. However, as the show stretches out from GRRM's vision in the books--which I haven't read, it seems the producers are creating more inconsistencies than when he was consulting for the show--would that be a correct assessment?

However, B&W also discussed Snow's death at the end of last season as if it was final, so Benioff's comment about luck could be more of the same type of obfuscation.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-made-long-action-shot-battle-bastards-003203325.html

“My original pitch to [showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff] was I wanted to put Jon in the middle of super busy intersection with horses instead of cars,” he said. “I was trying get to the idea that sometimes it’s not being a hero or a great fighter that means you make it through a battle — it’s a miracle or sheer luck.”

Re the final episode, I will be shocked if they don't reveal Jon's lineage.

From a strict narrative perspective, they must.

Then again, based on all the hints they've been dropping this year about Lady Stoneheart, I would argue it's a must she make an appearance this week as well. Though, it seems, she will not.

One thing about Stoneheart I thought of the other day, if they really aren't going to bring her into the world of the show I guess they could substitute the Hound in her place. He was thought to be dead, he's now with the Brotherhood, he loves Sansa and respects/cares for Arya while holding a grudge against Brianne and Jaimie both. I don't think it's the best solution, but it's one they could make work if they need a Stoneheart substitute.

No problem at all. I wanted to make sure you knew there was more than just the next abbreviated season. I don't care at all about nitpicking the episode numbers. Hell, I think they might well change their minds and add a few, especially if the next book comes out this year.

I'm sure HBO would love to have a full season if they could, but I also think the showrunners are spent. The amount of work that goes into making the show, just from the writing/producing side of the equation (let alone the physical production) is quite literally a year round job. After 6 years I think they see the light at the end of the tunnel and want to move on -- and they've got two full years still left to go.

I think Warner's is getting ready to move the franchise into the film world (or possibly more HBO series) with some spin off stories. GRRM made a comment a few months back now that there are hundreds of stories they can tell that don't revolve around the Starks, Lannisters, and our primary cast of players in his books. I'm not sure how well it would work without Martin or the familiar cast folks are used to, but they'll certainly take a stab at it.

yes, I read that here (and elsewhere), which is why I suggested there is a difference between luck and divine intervention.

If B&W view Snow's survival as a random lucky event, that would contradict the notion that some "being" resurrected him for a purpose. However, as the show stretches out from GRRM's vision in the books--which I haven't read, it seems the producers are creating more inconsistencies than when he was consulting for the show--would that be a correct assessment?

However, B&W also discussed Snow's death at the end of last season as if it was final, so Benioff's comment about luck could be more of the same type of obfuscation.

Martin is still consulting for the show, he's an Executive Producer and signs off on all the outlines (which are based on his own outline of where the books are headed/how they will conclude) before they go to script. He gives the showrunners freedom, but he's still the main source of the narrative. He passed up writing an episode this season, unlike season's past, but he's still very much involved in the creative direction of the show (not the day to day).

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/game-thrones-made-long-action-shot-battle-bastards-003203325.html

My original pitch to [showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff] was I wanted to put Jon in the middle of super busy intersection with horses instead of cars, he said. I was trying get to the idea that sometimes its not being a hero or a great fighter that means you make it through a battle its a miracle or sheer luck.

Sure, I can see the director trying to make that point, but the truth is he survives because he IS the hero, so it doesn't matter how it comes about--divine or luck.

As I said, I got the impression from Ramsey's reaction to no arrows hitting jon that there was some intervention going on. Either way, it works because he survives so he can eventually take on the dead. It remains to be seen whether or not they reveal how and why he was resurrected?

So I guess Tyrion, Cersie, Jamie, Daenerys and Jon all survive Season 6 since the actors that portray them signed new deals for season's 7 & 8.

All were pretty much givens except for Cersie whom I thought might bite it. With that type of pay, $500k per episode, I can see being really upset if you picked up a script and saw you were killed before the series finally.

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-stars-get-pay-raises-for-future-seasons-2016-6

So I guess Tyrion, Cersie, Jamie, Daenerys and Jon all survive Season 6 since the actors that portray them signed new deals for season's 7 & 8.

All were pretty much givens except for Cersie whom I thought might bite it. With that type of pay, $500k per episode, I can see being really upset if you picked up a script and saw you were killed before the series finally.

http://www.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-stars-get-pay-raises-for-future-seasons-2016-6

I saw that and had the same thought, because I too was wondering if Cersei bites it this week? Most likely Tommen is done, so she has a few more episodes of misery left...

OMG - they didn't mention an contract extension for Ghost. Noooooo!

OMG - they didn't mention an contract extension for Ghost. Noooooo!

Considering he was cut from the battle of the bastard because of money, it's no surprise!

Does anyone else think the Sansa character transformation on GOT is a bit like the Carole transformation on the Walking Dead?

Maybe that is a bit out there

Good call! You have to realize the world you live in and adjust according in order to survive...

Edited by ricojes

Anybody else catch the script error this week? At the end of the episode Sansa tells Ramsey his dogs will devour him because, "you haven't fed them for seven days...you said it yourself." Except Sansa wasn't still at the "walk up" when Ramsey said it. She had already ridden off after telling him he would die tomorrow.

Not a huge deal, but I found it interesting they missed lining that up.

Anybody else catch the script error this week? At the end of the episode Sansa tells Ramsey his dogs will devour him because, "you haven't fed them for seven days...you said it yourself." Except Sansa wasn't still at the "walk up" when Ramsey said it. She had already ridden off after telling him he would die tomorrow.

I always find it funny how the leaders of these massive armies give speeches before battle and everyone appears to hear them...

I noticed that, but just assumed that it was brought up again later when she was around. Like Tormund telling one of his men, "Then this crazy little f%@$ said he was gonna feed us to his dogs. They haven't eaten in 7 days."