Unions - you can't make up stuff like this

!@#$ you, leftist.

Remember, he used to be a chef and he must be highly influenced by that, otherwise I don't think that he would be promoting legislating eating habits. The real question is if MacDonald's workers get $25 an hour should the dishwasher in the Grey Poupon restaurants get the same?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sears/Kmart had a plan a few years ago to begin making shoes in a plant near Chicago. They held negotiations with local officials to get some incentives in place and their analysis was that even with low paid labor and the incentives it was still more costly than making them in China. However, they were willing to do it as they felt they could capitalize on the American made label and they really wanted to do this. As plans continued to evolve, a union was introduced to the project and suddenly the incentives were tied to a requirement that the factory had to employ union labor. After plugging in some new labor cost numbers to their spreadsheet, the cost to operate became to high. They walked away from the project. Sure low paying jobs were lost but so were many of the better paid positions such as designers, supervisors, managers and all the construction folks and equipment suppliers that would have built and outfitted the plant.

Sears/Kmart had a plan a few years ago to begin making shoes in a plant near Chicago. They held negotiations with local officials to get some incentives in place and their analysis was that even with low paid labor and the incentives it was still more costly than making them in China. However, they were willing to do it as they felt they could capitalize on the American made label and they really wanted to do this. As plans continued to evolve, a union was introduced to the project and suddenly the incentives were tied to a requirement that the factory had to employ union labor. After plugging in some new labor cost numbers to their spreadsheet, the cost to operate became to high. They walked away from the project. Sure low paying jobs were lost but so were many of the better paid positions such as designers, supervisors, managers and all the construction folks and equipment suppliers that would have built and outfitted the plant.

But think about how many union dock workers jobs were saved!

But think about how many union dock workers jobs were saved!

Hey... Their loss is our gain. The inland rivers, middle of the country is ALL NON-union.

"The Jobs 1st Alliance fears that the ports could lose as many as 100,000 jobs when the Panama Canal overhaul allows much larger ships to bypass California.

"Worst case, there could be a 25% diversion from Los Angeles-Long Beach," said Paul Bingham, the group's chief economist. "That's upwards of 3 million cargo containers. That's a lot of dockworkers who don't get work, truckers with less to haul and trains that don't run."

The biggest ships that can squeeze through the Panama Canal now carry 4,400 to 5,000 containers. But modern cargo vessels routinely hold three times as many of the big metal boxes.

So importers often use West Coast ports to land their products from Asia. Then the containers crammed with apparel, toys and other goods move from ships to trucks or trains and on to warehouses and retailer shelves throughout the U.S.

A wider Panama Canal would accommodate some of the biggest ships afloat — 12,600-container vessels — which will present a vastly improved "all water" cargo movement option for Asian goods bound for the southern and eastern U.S."

Just get those containers to the non-union hinterlands:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/port-cities-prep-for-wider-panama-canal-1404852994?mobile=y

Screw the high cost of overland travel and the strangle hold the West Coast has on the Asian Rim products.

Once the new Panama Canal is finished, some of those containers will just avoid places like Long Beach/LA all together. Those shoes will be floating up a non-union river to a non-union intermodal point in a container in no time!

We're getting closer to that day. From 2011:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/28/business/la-fi-panama-canal-20111229

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Really? No! Don't tell me!

Honestly... Sorry I made it sound like they were physically doing the calling themselves... My bad. Don't take things so literally. I meant to say the people doing the calling (or using their affliation in whatever little way they are able to) for the police and firefighters. I thought that was implied.

EIL, Tom is 100% correct. The NYC PBA would not accept money if you walked in and offered it to them. They NEVER solicit. They do accept donations to the Widows and Orphans Fund but again, they NEVERR, EVER solicit.

People will call from time to time and choose to donate from the goodness of their hearts.

I KNOW that the above is true.

Hey... Their loss is our gain. The inland rivers, middle of the country is ALL NON-union.

"The Jobs 1st Alliance fears that the ports could lose as many as 100,000 jobs when the Panama Canal overhaul allows much larger ships to bypass California.

"Worst case, there could be a 25% diversion from Los Angeles-Long Beach," said Paul Bingham, the group's chief economist. "That's upwards of 3 million cargo containers. That's a lot of dockworkers who don't get work, truckers with less to haul and trains that don't run."

The biggest ships that can squeeze through the Panama Canal now carry 4,400 to 5,000 containers. But modern cargo vessels routinely hold three times as many of the big metal boxes.

So importers often use West Coast ports to land their products from Asia. Then the containers crammed with apparel, toys and other goods move from ships to trucks or trains and on to warehouses and retailer shelves throughout the U.S.

A wider Panama Canal would accommodate some of the biggest ships afloat — 12,600-container vessels — which will present a vastly improved "all water" cargo movement option for Asian goods bound for the southern and eastern U.S."

Just get those containers to the non-union hinterlands:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/port-cities-prep-for-wider-panama-canal-1404852994?mobile=y

Screw the high cost of overland travel and the strangle hold the West Coast has on the Asian Rim products.

Once the new Panama Canal is finished, some of those containers will just avoid places like Long Beach/LA all together. Those shoes will be floating up a non-union river to a non-union intermodal point in a container in no time!

We're getting closer to that day. From 2011:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/28/business/la-fi-panama-canal-20111229

Anyone know what east coast railroad CSX or NS is better positioned to take advantage of the increased intermodal traffic?

Meanwhile, back in the land of common sense…

816_1391012747.jpg

Have you seen these yet?

http://www.ziosk.com/

Seen them at Chili's and Buffalo Wild Wings. You can't order the complete menu yet, usually entree's still need to go through the wait staff, but the day is coming when you won't need a waitress any more, just an order runner to bring you your food when it's ready.

Anyone know what east coast railroad CSX or NS is better positioned to take advantage of the increased intermodal traffic?

Just get it to the Gulf and block Cali out of it. They probably are both in good position. The thing now is figuring out logistics with containers on barges... They can solve that issue and the whole heartland/inlands are in play.

I did read somewhere Norfolk Southern is a mess and backlogged up? I am more familiar with CSX... They have water terminal right here.

Not to get all carpy... IMO, this one of the reasons they are pushing the fish thing, hydro separation. USCG is already considering allowing river barges to cross Lake Michigan... Look up the Muskegon Harbor thing they are proposing... Enviros are going nuts!

We're in deep trouble if we don't follow this wise man's advice!

http://youtu.be/7PWr6Pg8jkk

I know... I know... Savannah, Charleston... :lol:

The Gulf Coast Intracoastal Waterway (GCIWW) is part of the Intracoastal Waterway (ICWW)... Charleston and Savannah being on the Atlantic is on the ICWW and connects with the GCIWW.

But... Try explaining that to the masses and Leno idiots in 22 seconds. He should have just used GCIWW ports like: Port Arthur, TX, Baton Rouge, LA, or Panama City, FLA... BUT what idiot knows where the phuck those are? OR should have said ICWW if using Charleston/Savannah.

FWIW... Sloppy prep... But what isn't sloppy now anyway! :wallbash:

Have you seen these yet?

http://www.ziosk.com/

Seen them at Chili's and Buffalo Wild Wings. You can't order the complete menu yet, usually entree's still need to go through the wait staff, but the day is coming when you won't need a waitress any more, just an order runner to bring you your food when it's ready.

Wait? Isn't a waiter/waitress an "order runner?"

News flash: it's not REALLY the police and/or firefighters calling. It's a third-party call center hired by the charity that's usually only tenuously affiliated with the police/firefighters.

Basically, it's a huge revenue stream, because it's one big scam. Of all that money, something like 10% or less gets to the supposed beneficiaries. You'd do better stopping a cop on the streets and handing him a fifty.

Look up the Texas State Troopers Association. I will not go into detail but I had to use some hard ass tactics to get them to stop calling my house when we said repeatedly that we would not donate. They are crooked and prey on people who either just can't say no or succumb to their harassment.

Look up the Texas State Troopers Association. I will not go into detail but I had to use some hard ass tactics to get them to stop calling my house when we said repeatedly that we would not donate. They are crooked and prey on people who either just can't say no or succumb to their harassment.

Get caller ID and don't answer the phone when they call.

Just get it to the Gulf and block Cali out of it. They probably are both in good position. The thing now is figuring out logistics with containers on barges... They can solve that issue and the whole heartland/inlands are in play.

I did read somewhere Norfolk Southern is a mess and backlogged up? I am more familiar with CSX... They have water terminal right here.

Not to get all carpy... IMO, this one of the reasons they are pushing the fish thing, hydro separation. USCG is already considering allowing river barges to cross Lake Michigan... Look up the Muskegon Harbor thing they are proposing... Enviros are going nuts!

Do you ever stop talking/thinking about the great lakes?

Do you ever stop talking/thinking about the great lakes?

No. Its my life and pays the bills for me and the country. It is also hot politically with a divide between the environment & industry/business.

I also talk about the inland waterways and the vital element it plays in the economy & national security.

Why does it bother you? Why do you feel so insecure? Please choose to ignore me if you want.

Well, he does wax poetic from time to time about the virtues of living in a $50,000 home in rural Illinois/Indiana.

Yes... There is some virtue in staying in your home for 30+ years... Keeps prices down. I wish I could have fullfilled the same career in WNY (waterborne transportation)... Go figure.

True I forgot about that. Never mind no sane person would live in Illinois.

I am sorry 10 million people think otherwise in the Chicago statistical area... The sane ones must live in WI & IN and leech off Chicago as a market...