Buyout clause in lease ONLY to move to new stadium NOT for relocation

Fingon

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not saying they are going there. But if everything had been worked out and the team was to move to Toronto, I could see the NFL letting them play at Rogers for a couple years, assuming a new stadium was in the works and approved to be built.

My biggest concern re:Toronto is that they build a stadium on the Buffalo side and once the current lease runs it's course, the NFL considers it the same territory and not a relocation.

As that would remove a whole bunch of obstacles regarding relocation that we are all hoping would convince someone to stay.

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

Ok, so if the Bon Jovi group buys the Bills, keeps them in Buffalo until year 7 then moves them to Toronto to the Already built SkyDome.

Not gonna happen. SkyDome is switching to grass in 2018 and so they are kicking out the Argonauts.

The most ridiculous scenario to me is the one in which the league smiles upon a sale that occurs this year to a Toronto-based group that is clearly intending to move to Toronto in 2020. Yep, the NFL will be thrilled with a disastrous situation in Buffalo in which local fans mutiny publicly on an annual basis from late 2014 through 2019. And in which NY State politicians - especially Schumer, who is actually quite powerful - target the league every year over the Bills relocation issue.

Like that'll happen.

and yet with a difference of 372 million dollars and the fact that anything could happen in the next 6 years as regards LA, etc, it is really the only possible scenario that I see for relocation. I think it's incredibly bad form, and unlikely. it would also be a horrible business decision to sabotage the brand for 6 years, no matter how excited the new city is about eventually getting the team. I should add that I think this is great news for Buffalo Bills fans.

Not saying they are going there. But if everything had been worked out and the team was to move to Toronto, I could see the NFL letting them play at Rogers for a couple years, assuming a new stadium was in the works and approved to be built.

My biggest concern re:Toronto is that they build a stadium on the Buffalo side and once the current lease runs it's course, the NFL considers it the same territory and not a relocation.

That's an unfounded fear. No new stadium is getting built without a decades (emphasis on the plural)-long lease.

Nobody will buy that team and sit on it for 6 years with plans to move. They would lose hundreds of millions. If someone from LA buys them and plans to move them and the Raiders move before they can do it, then what? Bon Jovi and Larry Tannebaum combined don't have the cash to do it. The Bills will be bought at fair price by a local group or a group that plans to keep them in Buffalo and they will be playing in a new stadium by 2020. I would lay cash on that. In fact, a lot of people in Buffalo and NYS will because a new stadium will be funded by taxes. That will be the cost of keeping them in the area.

and yet with a difference of 372 million dollars and the fact that anything could happen in the next 6 years as regards LA, etc, it is really the only possible scenario that I see for relocation. I think it's incredibly bad form, and unlikely. it would also be a horrible business decision to sabotage the brand for 6 years, no matter how excited the new city is about eventually getting the team. I should add that I think this is great news for Buffalo Bills fans.

Yep- there is no way the NFL will allow that PR nightmare to happen. If they want to enter the Canadian market full on, they won't have it botched in that fashion. Years of an empty stadium while a rebellious fan base waits out its team to be stolen away to a city that is less than enthusiastic about the NFL is not happening. they need a sane path to creating their own brand. There have been some colossal mistakes made with relocation. I don't think Goodell will allow another major blunder on his watch. That said, he said we need a new stadium and we will need it by the time this lease runs out.

Actually, both are facts. 19.2% of the census results from 2010 show dual state residency (also known as snowbirds). That number shows a continued exodus from the region.

I never stated they have no power, I stated they have no leadership which leads to no power. There is a difference there.

I am not a laywer, but I am a snowbird. To my knowledge, NYS does not recognize anything called "dual state residency". If you own property in the state, have a business, or even visit your family here on a regular basis, if you a substantial interest here, you are a resident. If you are a NYS resident you must pay taxes here. You can not choose which state you choose to pay taxes in if you spend time in NYS. There is no 50% 50% choice.

Edited by simpleman

and the Rogers center is 75% empty every week

Maybe the Bills after they move to Toronto, The ( insert new Bills team name here) agree to play 1 game at the Ralph each year and wear the throwbacks., and everyone can complain about how we lost the Bills,and what a cheap SOB Ralph was.

After years and years of hearing whispers of the Bills leaving Buffalo combined with the passion of fans across multiple socail media sites one thing is abunduntly clear, Bills fans let their emotions blind them to the realities of the situation both the organization and the region find themselves in.

The truth is, Buffalo is a continuing shrinking region population wise. Even if it flatlines and levels off to non population losses, the damage already done is far to serious to believe relocation isn't a very real possibility.

The facts are clear here.

Fact, Buffalo is not an NFL market that makes or breaks the bank. It's a low end market in point of fact. Once you get past the ticket sales, you have to consider a multitude of other revenue streams, not the least of which is television veiwership and NFL merchandise sales. Don't think for one moment there aren't better markets out there for this, there is.

Fact, the regional leadership of WNY (i.e. political, business, community) is devoid of any real power. The only individual with the financial means to purchase the team and put a new stadium up is Terry Pegula in all earnest. There isn't another local wealth family/individual with the financial capabilities to do both at this time.

Fact, given the projections of stagnation economically for the greater region, there is not one single projection of any substantial growth in the area for the forseeable future.

There are many more facets of factors that come in to play. But be not fooled, the Bills, in my most humble opinion, are gone, either in year 7 or at the end of the lease. The writing is on the wall here people, don't get angry about my opinion. It's just that, but it's also formulated by a great deal of facts.

Signed,

Hopeful Future

:blink:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Aren't they violating the lease themselves then by having this group talk about a new stadium?

If the clause is regarding a move out of RWS to a new one, and as some have said in other move related posts that a new owner couldn't come in and discuss moving or a stadium being built anywhere, how can they not view the current discussions about building a new stadium as being in violation of this?

Plus that would mean that in September they would have the Argo's and Jays playing there as well

CBF

Argos are gone before they add the grass so they would just have to share with the Jays (and coming from a Jays fan it painsme to say it, but they would only have to share for the month of September)

It's not just that it woul be expensive, it's that they have to win in court to gain the right to pay the exorbitant costs to break the lease...a victory that the language of the lease makes extremely difficult to attain.

You left out the part where they win in court & build a new stadium since Rogers Centre is a relic that the NFL won't approve.

Maybe they'll put them in London instead. I don't see Buffalo or Toronto building a new Stadium anytime in the next 6 years...

Argos are gone before they add the grass so they would just have to share with the Jays (and coming from a Jays fan it painsme to say it, but they would only have to share for the month of September)

Jays fan here as well. They are switching to grass and won't allow any football to be played on it, hence kicking out the Argos. The rumblings I hear are that if the Argos get a new stadium at all, it will be smaller capacity, kind of like the Alouettes did in Montreal. They may even end up sharing Varsity Stadium with UT. Neither of those scenarios are conducive to an NFL team.

So, there's not likely to be any ready-made, move-the-Bills-here-tomorrow stadium solution in Toronto.