Some observations about potential new ownership

jahnyc

Some thoughts:

1. Whaley and Marrone must feel a lot of pressure to perform this year. If there is new ownership is in place before the beginning of the 2015 season, I would expect that they will want to hire their own people to run the team, including a new GM and head coach, particularly if the team does not perform well this year. If Brandon stays or is part of the new ownership team, then this may not be the case. Otherwise, the team's performance this year will have a significant impact on the future prospects of Whaley and Marrone, both with the Bills or with another opportunity in the future.

2. I hope there are other potential owners whose names have not surfaced up to this point. I had not heard of Haslan or Kahn (other than when he bid for the Rams before purchasing the Jaguars) before the purchases of their respective franchises. Bon Jovi would be a disaster since he is a part of a group that seems to want to move the team to Toronto. I cannot believe current league owners would be excited about Trump owning the Bills. I also read an old Wall Street Journal article about Milstein, which seemed to suggest that the NFL had issues with him when he was bidding for the Redskins because of his prior ownership of the Islanders.

3. I hope that Schumer and Cuomo will do whatever they can to ensure a local ownership group. In an election year, it would look bad for Cuomo to lose the Bills to another state/country.

4. I think there would a lot of support from the fans of other teams (maybe players/former players as well) for a drive to keep the Bills in Buffalo. I live in NYC, and I am always amazed that very few fans dislike or hate the Bills compared to other teams. How about an online petition to keep the Bills in Buffalo? If there was an organization/entity behind it and money available, hiring a PR firm would also help. NFL owners will always want to maximize revenue, but they will be wary of the bad publicity associated with moving the Bills.

5. My biggest fear is that the new owner will buy the team and be silent (or coy) about future plans or at least silent about what happens after the new lease has expired. This would give the NFL and the NFL owners enough cover to approve the sale of the team, even if everyone understands that the new owner will ultimately really want to move the team.

6. Seems that our current front office is more willing to take on players with more complicated backgrounds (Spikes and Williams).

7. If the Bills move to another city, I will stop being a fan of the team.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts:

1. Whaley and Marrone must feel a lot of pressure to perform this year. If there is new ownership is in place before the beginning of the 2015 season, I would expect that they will want to hire their own people to run the team, including a new GM and head coach, particularly if the team does not perform well this year. If Brandon stays or is part of the new ownership team, then this may not be the case. Otherwise, the team's performance this year will have a significant impact on the future prospects of Whaley and Marrone, both with the Bills or with another opportunity in the future.

2. I hope there are other potential owners whose names have not surfaced up to this point. I had not heard of Haslan or Kahn (other than when he bid for the Rams before purchasing the Jaguars) before the purchases of their respective franchises. Bon Jovi would be a disaster since he is a part of a group that seems to want to move the team to Toronto. I cannot believe current league owners would be excited about Trump owning the Bills. I also read an old Wall Street Journal article about Milstein, which seemed to suggest that the NFL had issues with him when he was bidding for the Redskins because of his prior ownership of the Islanders.

3. I hope that Schumer and Cuomo will do whatever they can to ensure a local ownership group. In an election year, it would look bad for Cuomo to lose the Bills to another state/country.

4. I think there would a lot of support from the fans of other teams (maybe players/former players as well) for a drive to keep the Bills in Buffalo. I live in NYC, and I am always amazed that very few fans dislike or hate the Bills compared to other teams. How about an online petition to keep the Bills in Buffalo? If there was an organization/entity behind it and money available, hiring a PR firm would also help. NFL owners will always want to maximize revenue, but they will be wary of the bad publicity associated with moving the Bills.

5. My biggest fear is that the new owner will buy the team and be silent (or coy) about future plans or at least silent about what happens after the new lease has expired. This would give the NFL and the NFL owners enough cover to approve the sale of the team, even if everyone understands that the new owner will ultimately really want to move the team.

6. Seems that our current front office is more willing to take on players with more complicated backgrounds (Spikes and Williams).

7. If the Bills move to another city, I will stop being a fan of the team.

Very good post. (1) A great point, and one that has not been mentioned much here. (2) I agree, but I think the type of person who ultimately buys the team is unlikely to be making public statements now or anytime in the near future. I don't know if that's good or bad. (4) I agree that other teams' fans generally don't hate the Bills; they just never give them much thought one way or the other. Why should they? (7) Absolutely. Hell, with their record of astonishing incompetence, it's hard enough to continue to support them even now.

Edited by mannc

5. makes no sense. How will a new buyer be coy about moving the team. He would have to have a stadium in place somewhere before 2020. How do you keep the construction of a new stadium secret?

Also, the re-election of Cuomo and Schumer will not turn on the Bills staying in Buffalo and they know this. There is little they can do anyway to keep them.

I'm already sick of talking about who is going to take over ownership of this team.

I've said this once, I've said this twice, I've said this a hundred thousand times over the last 15 years, but here it is again:

If the Bills left Buffalo tomorrow morning, there would be a line of teams 10-15 deep to move to Buffalo tomorrow night.

11th highest tv ratings in the league after 15 years of absolutely mind numbing, pathetic football. Literally running 53 men out onto that field, so long as theyre wearing Bills jerseys, guarantees you will be one of the most popular franchises in the sport.

And you think tarp city (Jacksonville) is going to sit down there with their 15,000 fans, while the Ralph sits empty and millions of (former) Bills fans curse Bon Jovi for moving the team to Toron... god this sentence, this IDEA, is so f*cking ridiculous I'm not even going to finish it im going to get dinner.

Edited by JohnnyGold

If the Bills leave, there will be no other team taking their place. If the Bills are moved away, tge NFL would be dead to me. In fact, everyone I know that is a Bills fan says this. If somebody from Toronto buys the Bills and thinks that they aregetting support from Buffalo and Rochester they would be sadly mistaken.

It's real simple - the team will be sold to who Mary Wilson decides to sell it to. My guess is that Ralph already told her who he would like them sold to or some guidelines and she'll carry out his wishes. The team isn't up for auction therefore Bon Jovi can want to buy them all he wants but if Mary says no, it's over. The NFL and their owners only have to approve an owner of Mary's choosing (or Ralph's wishes).

It's real simple - the team will be sold to who Mary Wilson decides to sell it to. My guess is that Ralph already told her who he would like them sold to or some guidelines and she'll carry out his wishes. The team isn't up for auction therefore Bon Jovi can want to buy them all he wants but if Mary says no, it's over. The NFL and their owners only have to approve an owner of Mary's choosing (or Ralph's wishes).

yes

I'm already sick of talking about who is going to take over ownership of this team.

I've said this once, I've said this twice, I've said this a hundred thousand times over the last 15 years, but here it is again:

If the Bills left Buffalo tomorrow morning, there would be a line of teams 10-15 deep to move to Buffalo tomorrow night.

11th highest tv ratings in the league after 15 years of absolutely mind numbing, pathetic football. Literally running 53 men out onto that field, so long as theyre wearing Bills jerseys, guarantees you will be one of the most popular franchises in the sport.

And you think tarp city (Jacksonville) is going to sit down there with their 15,000 fans, while the Ralph sits empty and millions of (former) Bills fans curse Bon Jovi for moving the team to Toron... god this sentence, this IDEA, is so f*cking ridiculous I'm not even going to finish it im going to get dinner.

saying there would be teams lining up to move here may be the most ridiculous statement ever posted here. Really.

No, not so simple. It has been widely reported that the team is now "owned" by a trust, not by Mary Wilson. If that is true, then the trustee, or trustees, of the trust would decide how the team is disposed of. (It has been reported that Mary Wilson is one of the trustees.) The terms of the trust itself might also put conditions on the sale. The trustees have a fiduciary duty to maximize the value of the trust's assets for the beneficiaries, so it would be problematic for the executors to sell to anyone other than the highest bidder who obtained NFL approval.

Edited by mannc

No, not so simple. It has been widely reported that the team is now "owned" by a trust, not by Mary Wilson. If that is true, then the trustee, or trustees, of the trust would decide how the team is disposed of. (It has been reported that Mary Wilson is one of the trustees.) The terms of the trust itself might also put conditions on the sale. The trustees have a fiduciary duty to maximize the value of the trust's assets for the beneficiaries, so it would be problematic for the executors to sell to anyone other than the highest bidder who obtained NFL approval.

Executors relate to a Will...not a trust. The Trustees can sell to a lower bidder with consent of the beneficiaries (who are presumably Ralph's wife and children). If they say it's ok to sell for a slightly lower price, it is perfectly legal to do so.

They sure did not like us for a certain four year period not all that long ago. I sure wish we have something even remotely close to those glory days soon!!! Go Bills!!!

Yeah, I hear a lot of vitriol from older fans of other teams about Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, etc. When you're good, you're hated.

Executors relate to a Will...not a trust. The Trustees can sell to a lower bidder with consent of the beneficiaries (who are presumably Ralph's wife and children). If they say it's ok to sell for a slightly lower price, it is perfectly legal to do so.

Yes, I meant to say trustee. And you are right, the trustees could sell at a lower price if the beneficiaries consent. However, we don't know who the beneficiaries are or even how many there are. Probably lots of them, though.

If the Bills end up in Toronto they will have a whole new name, a whole new identity, they won't be the Buffalo Bills of Toronto. They come up with some new name new logo, uniform and brand.

Governor Cuomo well likely slow down the sale of the Bills until after the election if it's going to be sold and moved out of town.

Well, personally I have a feeling they stay already surprised by the amount of support the Bills seems to be getting. Agreed if they move to Toronto they will lose the WNY territory support, already been thinking about how it would feel to be a full-time Browns fan....really hope it doesn't come to that. No educated opinion it just seems to be the consensus from insiders.

About the teams lining up to come here it isn't farfetched. If Toronto gets taken by Bills, willin to bet the Rams go back to LA and the Jags (who WILL move in the next decade) will be eyeing the city up. Buffalo is not a fresh thing, but is a established market that can be available and be a big upgrade from Jacksonville either way.

The Buffalo Jags, and now I will head to the bathroom.

It is within possibility.

Sorry man. I appreciate your sentiment, but if the Bills leave Buffalo, there won't be a new team in Buffalo any time soon...if ever.

It's widely reported she is the controlling owner. Yes there is a board of trustees and one is Jeff Littman who is one of the executors of Ralph Wilson's estate. Mary is in charge with some advisors to help her execute Ralph's wishes. I'm not saying they won't be sold to someone like Bon Jovi but it's not his decision to be involved or not be involved, it's Mary Wilson's.