Favorite draft pick by the Bills this millenium?

At the time the player was drafted I assume is what you are asking. My top 3 favorite draft picks at the moment they were announced were as follows:

1. Kiko - LOVED him coming out of college and said he was a better prospect than Dion, but never thought the Bills would take him given his prior off field history even if it was behind him a bit. Went nuts when we drafted him as that alone signaled a major change in player evaluation which was much needed and exciting.

2. Byrd - Told everyone on the boards who was freaking out over a DB in the 2nd that we just drafted he best FS prospect in the draft.

3. Spiller - Anytime we draft the most exciting playmaker in the draft, thats exciting, even if we didn't need him. Gave me hope of a high flying and explosive offense.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was stoked when the Bills select one Mike Williams in 2002.

Mike Williams was supposed to be one of the safest picks of the 2002 NFL draft. When Buffalo selected the large tackle out of Texas, fans assumed the Bills had an anchor at tackle for years to come. Instead, he lasted four years in Buffalo and after sitting out of the league for three years, played one more season at guard for the Washington Redskins. Selected fourth overall in 2002, Williams’ bust is perhaps why the team has not selected a tackle in the first round since.

What friggin disaster... Probably why so many on this board resist the idea of an OT at #9. Let's hope we do and get better this year!

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

At the time the player was drafted I assume is what you are asking. My top 3 favorite draft picks at the moment they were announced were as follows:

1. Kiko - LOVED him coming out of college and said he was a better prospect than Dion, but never thought the Bills would take him given his prior off field history even if it was behind him a bit. Went nuts when we drafted him as that alone signaled a major change in player evaluation which was much needed and exciting.

2. Byrd - Told everyone on the boards who was freaking out over a DB in the 2nd that we just drafted he best FS prospect in the draft.

3. Spiller - Anytime we draft the most exciting playmaker in the draft, thats exciting, even if we didn't need him. Gave me hope of a high flying and explosive offense.

Are you an Oregon fan by any chance? Since you were big on Kiko and Byrd before the draft? I don't remember a ton of hype on them, so just curious. Both great picks by the Bills.

indifferent at the time. Hate it now.

Yea, getting a Pro-Bowl, 330lb beast of a DT whom already has 18.5 sacks in just 3 seasons (That would be a pretty damn good career for most top DT's) & is a major part of the most dominating defensive line in the NFL (44 sacks- would rank 7th best) was a terrible ppick.. Especially after they had neglected the trenches for so long.

To answer OP's question, it is a toss up between Dareus & Cordy Glenn. I wanted Glenn so badly & was glued to the radio as those picks came off the board in the 2nd. Each time a pick was announced & it wasn't Glenn, my heart began to beat faster. When they finally got on the clock with Glenn there for the taking, I was near a cardiac event. Then they announced "The Buffalo Bills select OT from Georgia, Cordy Glenn" and I literally cheered at my radio, haha.

Another example of the Bills "getting it" & investing in trenches is a common thread between the two. The NFL goes thru phases of en vogue positions (TE seems to be current one) but grabbing elite linemen will never go out of style. If you can win the battle at the line, it makes everyone else look so much better... Much like a great QB can make average WR's into highly productive stars

Yea, getting a Pro-Bowl, 330lb beast of a DT whom already has 18.5 sacks in just 3 seasons (That would be a pretty damn good career for most top DT's) & is a major part of the most dominating defensive line in the NFL (44 sacks- would rank 7th best) was a terrible ppick.. Especially after they had neglected the trenches for so long.

I did not say Dareus is a terrible player; he's pretty good and he is not a bust. But he has underachieved in his first 3 years. He is hardly a beast and is not someone that other teams need to account for on every play. At least five d-linemen chosen after him in the first round have outplayed him every year.

You use his selection as an example of the Bills finally "getting it". I believe it is the opposite. Not only were there more impactful defenders on the board at the time, there were two incredibly dynamic WRs selected soon afterward. Those two (Julio Jones and AJ Green) are players that demand constant attention from the defense, opening up the field for everyone else. They are a rare and precious commodity in the modern game, second only to franchise QBs, but Buddy was too far behind the curve to recognize it.

And if you think the Bills' defensive line was "dominant", you are seriously deluded. At any rate, Dareus was maybe the third best player on that line.

Edited by mannc

I was thrilled when they drafted Levitre. The truth is, I wanted them to select him with the pick in which they took Wood. When they passed on him I was sure he would be gone. Apparently so were the Bills because they traded up to take him in round 2. AL stepped in from day one and did a very good job for this football team.

And btw, looking at the situation in Cleveland (26 million guaranteed for a Center), his contract doesn't look so bad now, does it? The Bills OL with Levitre and a first round OT (providing he is a good one) might have been actually GREAT.

At the "time of the draft" it would have to be Cordy Glenn. Lets recall the context. I think that was the first draft where the 2nd round was broken out to the next day. We were picking 9th and Glenn was still on the board with every team having overnight to think about it. He was on a bunch of mocks as our 1st round pick, Tackle was a HUGE need and I'm sure every team (as well as everyone on this board) knew the Bills wanted Glenn. I was positive the only way to get him was to move up... .which never happened. When he dropped to the Bills, I was ecstatic!

Edited by cage

To answer OP's question, it is a toss up between Dareus & Cordy Glenn. I wanted Glenn so badly & was glued to the radio as those picks came off the board in the 2nd. Each time a pick was announced & it wasn't Glenn, my heart began to beat faster. When they finally got on the clock with Glenn there for the taking, I was near a cardiac event. Then they announced "The Buffalo Bills select OT from Georgia, Cordy Glenn" and I literally cheered at my radio, haha.

Another example of the Bills "getting it" & investing in trenches is a common thread between the two. The NFL goes thru phases of en vogue positions (TE seems to be current one) but grabbing elite linemen will never go out of style. If you can win the battle at the line, it makes everyone else look so much better... Much like a great QB can make average WR's into highly productive stars

This year's SB was evidence of that!

Marshawn Lynch - I had been getting stoked on his sick Cal highlight reels weeks ahead of time and was hoping but not at all sure we would get him.

Last year, the trade down had me very excited, then as an FSU fan I was excited (though a little worried) with the EJ pick. Even at the time, on paper the trade down and still getting their 1st choice at QB was obviously brilliant, but at the time I didn't know how well any of the three would turn out - so this is still 2nd to Lynch for me.

jasper.

It's funny you say that as I really thought he could play either defense or if not, convert to a Guard. How could a guy with those athletic abilities and size, and strength, speed for a big boy not even make it as a guard.

Of the top drafts, i loved the Glenn pick. I followed him down in Florida, and just knew he would make it in the NFL. He has far exceeded my expectations as a stud LT. It just tells me Mario will be gone three years from now. He'll be older, and we'll have to pay Glenn and Gillmore. My point there is we need to look for other pass rushers in the next two drafts.

Dareus - he was a Man among boys in college. So happy he fell to us.

yeah, it would have sucked if the Broncos or Panthers had snapped him up, leaving us with Cam Newton or Vonn Miller--or AJ Green, JJ Watt or Patrick Peterson, or . . .

Marshawn Lynch - I had been getting stoked on his sick Cal highlight reels weeks ahead of time and was hoping but not at all sure we would get him.

Last year, the trade down had me very excited, then as an FSU fan I was excited (though a little worried) with the EJ pick. Even at the time, on paper the trade down and still getting their 1st choice at QB was obviously brilliant, but at the time I didn't know how well any of the three would turn out - so this is still 2nd to Lynch for me.

This is how I feel every time the Bills draft an OSU player. I think it is because we see every snap these players take in college for 3-4 years, plus all of their pressers, issues on and off the field..., Too much analysis! Edited by YoloinOhio