Donald Trump asked to invest in the Bills

Where's Warren Buffett?

It's not like he couldn't afford it!

The only catch would be - and I don't mean any disrespect to him - that he's not exactly a young man and we could easily be in the same boat in a couple more years.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's frankly embarrassing how negative people are toward the idea that Donald Trump has an interest in buying the bills. You don't like his politics? His personality? His necktie?

Gimme a break. The guy is a successful person and has publicly stated he'd keep the team in Buffalo. What more do you want?

Ok...a winner? Well, the Trump empire is almost entirely built on a brand. That brand is success, luxury, exclusivity, high-end. Sounds like a few characteristics Id love to associate with the Bills.

While nothing is guaranteed and from a fan standpoint Trump would present a few risks, I'd still love him as an owner and take that chance if it were up to me.

It's frankly embarrassing how negative people are toward the idea that Donald Trump has an interest in buying the bills. You don't like his politics? His personality? His necktie?

Gimme a break. The guy is a successful person and has publicly stated he'd keep the team in Buffalo. What more do you want?

Ok...a winner? Well, the Trump empire is almost entirely built on a brand. That brand is success, luxury, exclusivity, high-end. Sounds like a few characteristics Id love to associate with the Bills.

While nothing is guaranteed and from a fan standpoint Trump would present a few risks, I'd still love him as an owner and take that chance if it were up to me.

I think those who object are merely hoping for somebody else. You sound like Don Draper... the only descriptions you leave out in describing the "Trump brand" are combativeness, boorishness and tackiness. Nobody here has ever said they wouldn't root for the team if Trump were the owner (those words have been put in their mouth by others), we are all just hoping for a better option. There is really nothing in the guys history that suggests he is a man of his word... so, for me any ways, that is a pretty big risk to take with something I hold pretty dear to my heart, the Buffalo Bills.

We will all take the Trump chance if that is our only option, but we aren't going to just bend over and take it, because he says he will keep the team in Buffalo. Hell, before Ralph Wilson became a deity, there were plenty who rooted for his team for years, despite their feelings about him. Donald Trump isn't going to make me stop rooting for the Buffalo Bills. But I certainly reserve the right to wish for somebody else to own the team.

To be fair to him, he is the only person talking about this subject, in public. His statements are full of the gravitas one would associate with the guy. Yes, he is successful, but his failures have been well chronicled over the years. His character in business dealings have been questioned over and over... he is thought of as much of a flim-flam man, with lots of financial resources, as he is some sort of genius business master. He is the first candidate that we are sure is interested, doesn't mean he is the only candidate, or the best.

If you are a Bills fan, I wouldn't discount, so easily, his personality. Nothing to do with politics or anything else...but does he have the kind of personality you want to own your team? I want a team that is making headlines for winning on the field, not one that is constantly in the news for its' behind the scenes acrimony. I really can't envision a Trump owned team any other way. Even in the statements he is making, in regards to ownership of the team, it is clear that this is all about him. I just imagine George Steinbrenner x100. Sure, the Yankees won some titles under Steinbrenner, but there was about 2 decades of pretty lean years mixed in there after some initial success. Firing coaches on a whim, arguing salaries with players through the press... can Buffalo really afford that? Steinbrenner never had any financial concerns....if Trump is serious about keeping his new toy/vanity project in Buffalo, he will have to worry a bit more about being fiscally responsible to make it work for years to come... restraint is not a word one normally associates with the man. Sorry, from all the evidence I see (and I realize, we are all just speculating on this, no matter our feelings on the guy), I just think it has train-wreck written all over it.

Trump, in expressing his interest, was clear to state that as much as he wants to own the team, he will only make an offer that is reasonable... so, say that offer lands him the team... he owns the team for 5 years, or however long...all the sudden he starts hearing about all the money he could be making in Los Angeles (a city that he would be perfect for)... you think he is going to be pledging his allegiance to Buffalo still? I just find it hard to fathom... even if you listen to all the national media types speaking on this subject, they all pretty much dismiss his promise to keep the team in Buffalo, and imagine how the Trump thing will go over in Los Angeles or Toronto. More than a few risks associated with this guy...

Edited by Buftex

BlW7_GyCQAA9KpL.jpg

:sick: :doh: :sick: I just threw up. I hate the guy. Keep him away. please. Ralph owing the Bills compared to him was a totally different kind of frustration. I hope Mary Wilson sees that it would be a strike against RW's legacy to sell to Bozo the Trump.

Only the dogs here the whistle.

Since I listen to Mr. Tony's radio show every day (via podcast, so I don't miss a minute), I know how he feels about Trump. He thinks he's a buffoon with no humility, who he also has spent at least one day on the golf course with, and totally loved him. He's totally charmed by the whole package.

Oh my gosh....you can't unsee something! For some reason that reminds me of a dead gold fish you flush down the toilet :lol: Korheiser said pretty much what you said, on PTI. I just don't want an owner that is a sideshow...it will be amusing to the rest of the world, but I think it would kill me. Oh well,,,whatever he does, it will be the "ugest" and best ever...I am so sure! Even on PTI, though, Kornheiser did question weather other NFL owners would approve him, and wondered how strong the lure of Toronoto or LA would be. I am so ready for somebody else to be "interested" in buying the Buffalo Bills. Edited by Buftex

Say what you want about Trump, he'll spend money on quality players and coaches. And if aomeone isn't performing, "you're fired." It could be very interesting.

Of course, if he becomes a meddler like Dan Snyder, all bets are off as to what will happen on the field and how the fans will react.

The fact that we are debating Bon Jovi v. Donald Trump just blows my mind. Seriously, sit back and think about that and how ludicrous it is for a minute. Really laughable. I sincerely hope something else breaks or someone else steps up soon. I'm not sure I can take anymore of my uninformed friends and family asking me about the prospective ownership of these two.

I think the funny thing here will be that if the Donald were actually a serious prospect to become an owner (which I do not think he is merely because he said "someone" begged him to consider it- my guess this is almost certainly another attempt by him to get cheap press- anyone who seriously is negotiating to buy the team almost certainly is not talking about interest- this would be bad negotiating which mostly raises the price demanded from them).

The funny thing is that if DT wanted in:

1. He would need the approval of 75% of the owners (even if he was the high bidder to the Wilson estate. the estate is contractually agreed to a veto by fellow owners). Do folks feel he is willing to suck up and beg as he likely would be required. Even if he did beg do folks really think he would be believed?

2. In addition to having to be contractually accepted by the vast majority of his partner owners, it became clear after the players extorted the CBA from the owners in the 90s by threatening to decertify that the players at that point became partners. In fact, with the early 2000s CBA when Gene Upshaw summarily announced an end to designated gross in the salary cap and that the NFLPA share of the gross receipts needed to start with a , the NFLOAQ became majority partners.

Just as in the case where the NFLPA successfully vetoed Rush Limbaugh as an owner, I think the Donald would be vetoed due to his Obama passport idiocy.

The racial tone of Trump's idiocy would likely cost IMHO.

At first glance I hated the idea of Donald Trump owning my favorite NFL football team. Then I thought about it and remembered he owned the NJ Generals in the USFL.

When I heard he was all for buying the team, and keeping them in Buffalo it partially changed my mind. Whats most important? I came to the realization that this man wants to win games, as he already has 3.9 billion. He won't settle for the craptastic coaching staffs this franchise has endured since Marv & Wade. This man would change the entire losing culture of this team, as he wants to win!!

Besides, Bills fans have been bitching for years about the Buffalo Bills not getting the national attention that other teams get, and Trump would sure change that. :D

To me this topic and most others on this board are right in line with the typical WNY attitude i see every day of my life living here. Nothing is ever good enough for anyone around here. Every day of my life dealing with the public it's either TOO cold, TOO hot, TOO windy, and even on the most perfect day its "well did you see what its going to be like tomorrow?". Why anyone would complain about a guy who says he will keep the Bills in Buffalo is beyond me considering that everyone's worst fear has been them moving for the past 20 years. Every owner has political beliefs, who cares. I understand it's your own opinion but at the end of the day just be happy there is at least ONE guy out there right now that says he wants to bid on the Bills and keep them in Buffalo, it could be a lot worse. Hey, at least they talk about us on ESPN now haha

Actually, I've purchased a few of his ties at Macy's....not bad really...some of them have a contemporary design and if you hit the sales right, price is good... :D

To me this topic and most others on this board are right in line with the typical WNY attitude i see every day of my life living here. Nothing is ever good enough for anyone around here. Every day of my life dealing with the public it's either TOO cold, TOO hot, TOO windy, and even on the most perfect day its "well did you see what its going to be like tomorrow?". Why anyone would complain about a guy who says he will keep the Bills in Buffalo is beyond me considering that everyone's worst fear has been them moving for the past 20 years. Every owner has political beliefs, who cares. I understand it's your own opinion but at the end of the day just be happy there is at least ONE guy out there right now that says he wants to bid on the Bills and keep them in Buffalo, it could be a lot worse. Hey, at least they talk about us on ESPN now haha

As far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with his personal politics and everything to do with his "TMZ Personna" (credit: Dwight in Philly).

Consider this: He says a lot, but his words don't really carry much weight. Remember when he said he was going to run for governor but didn't? Or when he said he was running for president but didn't? And now he says he wants to buy the Bills? I guess we'll have to wait and see about that one...

And for the umpteenth time: Yes, Trump is better than the Bills moving, but he's far from an ideal choice. And yes, ESPN would talk about the Bills a lot, and I guess for some people that matters, but they would be talking about the Bills for all the wrong reasons.

If ever there was someone who could inject some life into a losing franchise, Trump would be the one who could do it. More than anyone I can think of, he would also have the ablilty to rejuvinate an entire city.

So let's see, for possible contenders to be the new owner of the Bills we have:

Trump - Famous billionaire who has owned a pro football team before and wants to keep the team in Buffalo. He also has the thumbs up from local legend Jim Kelly.

Bon Jovi - Lead singer of the worst best selling "rock" band of all-time who wants to move the team to Toronto.

Pegula - Terrible owner of our other losing franchise.

Golisano - Former owner of our other losing franchise.

Unknown - More than a good chance they will move the team to another city within the next 7 years, maybe sooner.

The fact that people here are complaining about Trump being the new owner of the Bills just blows my mind. I am from Syracuse, and people can be pretty negative and non-forward thinking here (see the new stadium for the Cuse, I-81 debate, etc), but Buffalonians might have them beat ten times over.

Only the dogs here the whistle.

Since I listen to Mr. Tony's radio show every day (via podcast, so I don't miss a minute), I know how he feels about Trump. He thinks he's a buffoon with no humility, who he also has spent at least one day on the golf course with, and totally loved him. He's totally charmed by the whole package.

BlW7_GyCQAA9KpL.jpg

Nice!

Going from the worst owner in the NFL to potentially one of the best. I don't know if the other owners would approve him. but I'd be cool with him taking over, his politics are irrelevant to me. One thing's for sure, he wouldn't tolerate garbage/incompetency in the front office. I can see Littman retiring the day after he buys the team, as well as Overdorf. Brandon would probably get a year to bottom-line turn things around, otherwise he's fired.

I just dont trust the "mogul" type from the outside. I would rather someone married to the locality a bit. If Trump is the only choice who wants it in Buffalo, then Ill take our chances there.

If he came here and signed a 30 year binding lease, OK, Im on board, even with all the bluster and the "TMZ" complex/self promotion. Thats all fine, as long as he isnt suffocating the football guys.

As it is though, these "Mogul" types do not typically carry much loyalty. Buying and selling is ingrained in their DNA. I can see him assessing the situation as an investor. Buy the team, lean heavily on NYS and Erie County for a sparkling stadium as well as additional money and subsidies for more development (free money), then if he doesnt get it, cry about NYS being Communist, blaming it on them, and selling the team to the highest bidder in 7 years when the lease opens up and someone is ready to pay out the butt and relocate them. Maybe move them himself. Either outcome he makes out like a bandit. Of course he is going to say he is committed to Buffalo now. They are stuck here for years anyways.

Who knows how well he will/can work with Cuomo, Polancarz, and visa versa.

I dont really care about the personality, flair, politics, etc. I would just feel better and more secure with an owner who didnt make his money only buying/selling/liquidating/flipping, etc. I prefer a guy like our local "players" who typically built a business and it grew to epic proportions. Those guys (local to add) seem a bit more grounded, loyal, and not as detached.

Edited by May Day 10

If ever there was someone who could inject some life into a losing franchise, Trump would be the one who could do it. More than anyone I can think of, he would also have the ablilty to rejuvinate an entire city.

So let's see, for possible contenders to be the new owner of the Bills we have:

Trump - Famous billionaire who has owned a pro football team before and wants to keep the team in Buffalo. He also has the thumbs up from local legend Jim Kelly.

Bon Jovi - Lead singer of the worst best selling "rock" band of all-time who wants to move the team to Toronto.

Pegula - Terrible owner of our other losing franchise.

Golisano - Former owner of our other losing franchise.

Unknown - More than a good chance they will move the team to another city within the next 7 years, maybe sooner.

The fact that people here are complaining about Trump being the new owner of the Bills just blows my mind. I am from Syracuse, and people can be pretty negative and non-forward thinking here (see the new stadium for the Cuse, I-81 debate, etc), but Buffalonians might have them beat ten times over.

I love your characterizations of the "perspective" owners (Trump is really the only one to make any public confirmation of his interest, all the rest is speculation)... we all know the Sabres had an awful season (it was partially be design if you are paying attetnion)....but let me ask you, under what other pretenses are you calling Pegula a "terrible owner"?

And you are patting Trump on the back for buying a team in a somewhat fledling league (USFL) and immediately trying to sue the NFL, and compete with them, in the fall...it was what killled that league. NFL owners may appreciate Trumps gravitas, but many of his USFL co-owners did not. Trump is not known for letting things grow. Notice the caviat he put on his intentions to buy the Bills...on the one hand, he says he is prepared to get in a bidding war ("I always win bidding wars", says the Donald), but also warns that he won't pay an amount that doesn't make sense. Of course that is logical, but it makes me think that his interest is as much a call for attention, as it is serious. He is already putting qualifiers on his interest, even though he has, presumably, no competition as of yet.

So, he buys the Bills...who is he going to sue? In case you aren't paying attention (which you apparently are not) Pegula is pumping a hell of a lot of his own money into that hockey franchise, and into the downtown Buffalo area. Both he, and Golisano, at least, seem to understand the need to see the city do well to protect their other business interests.

Edited by Buftex

I think those who object are merely hoping for somebody else. You sound like Don Draper... the only descriptions you leave out in describing the "Trump brand" are combativeness, boorishness and tackiness. Nobody here has ever said they wouldn't root for the team if Trump were the owner (those words have been put in their mouth by others), we are all just hoping for a better option. There is really nothing in the guys history that suggests he is a man of his word... so, for me any ways, that is a pretty big risk to take with something I hold pretty dear to my heart, the Buffalo Bills.

We will all take the Trump chance if that is our only option, but we aren't going to just bend over and take it, because he says he will keep the team in Buffalo. Hell, before Ralph Wilson became a deity, there were plenty who rooted for his team for years, despite their feelings about him. Donald Trump isn't going to make me stop rooting for the Buffalo Bills. But I certainly reserve the right to wish for somebody else to own the team.

To be fair to him, he is the only person talking about this subject, in public. His statements are full of the gravitas one would associate with the guy. Yes, he is successful, but his failures have been well chronicled over the years. His character in business dealings have been questioned over and over... he is thought of as much of a flim-flam man, with lots of financial resources, as he is some sort of genius business master. He is the first candidate that we are sure is interested, doesn't mean he is the only candidate, or the best.

If you are a Bills fan, I wouldn't discount, so easily, his personality. Nothing to do with politics or anything else...but does he have the kind of personality you want to own your team? I want a team that is making headlines for winning on the field, not one that is constantly in the news for its' behind the scenes acrimony. I really can't envision a Trump owned team any other way. Even in the statements he is making, in regards to ownership of the team, it is clear that this is all about him. I just imagine George Steinbrenner x100. Sure, the Yankees won some titles under Steinbrenner, but there was about 2 decades of pretty lean years mixed in there after some initial success. Firing coaches on a whim, arguing salaries with players through the press... can Buffalo really afford that? Steinbrenner never had any financial concerns....if Trump is serious about keeping his new toy/vanity project in Buffalo, he will have to worry a bit more about being fiscally responsible to make it work for years to come... restraint is not a word one normally associates with the man. Sorry, from all the evidence I see (and I realize, we are all just speculating on this, no matter our feelings on the guy), I just think it has train-wreck written all over it.

Trump, in expressing his interest, was clear to state that as much as he wants to own the team, he will only make an offer that is reasonable... so, say that offer lands him the team... he owns the team for 5 years, or however long...all the sudden he starts hearing about all the money he could be making in Los Angeles (a city that he would be perfect for)... you think he is going to be pledging his allegiance to Buffalo still? I just find it hard to fathom... even if you listen to all the national media types speaking on this subject, they all pretty much dismiss his promise to keep the team in Buffalo, and imagine how the Trump thing will go over in Los Angeles or Toronto. More than a few risks associated with this guy...

Any owner may find even with a new stadium that it does not work in Buffalo. If that is the case who can argue it?

Other than the fact that Trump is vocal, in a way many don't like and some consider him a film flam man, I have an honest question.

If we remove the bargaining process of the viewed film flam man, has he proven to not be a man of his word? I honest don't follow him enough to know.

I would exclude the political aspirations from this because withdrawing when you realize you have no chance is not a negative from my viewpoint.

This thread is amazing. To think I was banned for 90 days once for just mentioning Bush threw out the first ball in Yankee stadium after 9/11.

You believe that we see every post as it is entered?

Next time use the report function and we'll get to it much quicker.

Contrary to popular belief, we mods don't have superpowers. We don't know about an issue until it is brought to our attention OR we read it for ourselves. Another contrary to popular belief, we mods don't make it a habit to read every single post in every single thread.