Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

Spiller consistently fails to recognize cutback lanes that are available to him. He's not smart enough to realize he shouldn't run out of bounds when the Bills are trying to run out the clock before halftime, so the opponent doesn't get a chance to get the ball back.

He's not a particularly good receiver out of the backfield, and he sucks as a blocker on passing downs. He has just 17TDs in 4 years, with only 2 TDs last year.

He's not going to get a big contract when his current one runs out...I'd be in favor of trading him before it's too late.

For all the people saying "He's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball", well...then why doesn't he? 12 rushing TDs in 4 years? It just doesn't happen.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller consistently fails to recognize cutback lanes that are available to him. He's not smart enough to realize he shouldn't run out of bounds when the Bills are trying to run out the clock before halftime, so the opponent doesn't get a chance to get the ball back.

He's not a particularly good receiver out of the backfield, and he sucks as a blocker on passing downs. He has just 17TDs in 4 years, with only 2 TDs last year.

He's not going to get a big contract when his current one runs out...I'd be in favor of trading him before it's too late.

For all the people saying "He's a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball", well...then why doesn't he? 12 rushing TDs in 4 years? It just doesn't happen.

He has the 2nd most 20+ yard runs in the NFL the last 2 years to Peterson. He loses carries because he plays with a guy who could start on many teams and is a bigger back.

He has the 2nd most 20+ yard runs in the NFL the last 2 years to Peterson. He loses carries because he plays with a guy who could start on many teams and is a bigger back.

This in a nutshell. To boot, I question the Bills play calling here. For Spiller to get those big runs, he needs to get carries. Buffalo just seems beyond stubborn in that regard in splitting 50-50 with Fred Jackson. Spiller reminds me of a running back holding the distinction of being tackled more for a loss than any other in the history of the NFL. That team however continued to give that guy carries and when he got free, he did it in big ways. The Bills just don't do that though, and I really don't know why. Oh yeh....the guy that I'm talking about was Barry Sanders.

Um, Hall of Fame QB Brett Farve. And AP is a once in a generation running back who the Vikes have been wasting. Spiller isn't AP but he's pretty damn good.

So instead of having a guy who averages 4.6 ypc with a bum ankle, we can have one who averages 4.1. :) There are a million Lacys (and I like him). FJax can play that role here. But guys like Spiller are much rarer.

Really? One season, lets look at the past 3...Your argument is flawed.

Great stat. He is one of the most explosive players in fhe league. Why you would want to get rid of that is beyond me.

Play calling was pretty terrible last season. Spiller needs more touches in the passing game. Couple that with the worst QB play in the league & one of the worst lines and you get last season.

He is a straight up gamer. Was willing to play through injury & still managed 4.6 ypc on a completely one dimensional offense with a terrible o-line

Apparently Chris Johnson has a visit lined up with Buffalo and NYG if he leaves his visit with Jets today without a contract.

not that the bills were actually interested.... Tennessee is probably still at the root of this :)

that aside.... strange spot. not the guy i would have pegged as fitting the needs/roles available based on what i thought their goals were. behind closed doors they must have some plan that makes better sense (atleast to them)

Why do we have to rehash trades or things that didn't happen, is it because we then have something to complain about?

in this case its because we are rumored to be on his lists of visits this week.

plus they tend to provide some sort of insight into the thoughts and opinions of those in charge.

Why do we have to rehash trades or things that didn't happen, is it because we then have something to complain about?

Ok guys new rule this one is called the Oman rule. No rehashing topics even if it contains new details. If you break this rule the consequences will have you saying "Oman".

The great Alfred Morris has had only 2 fewer such runs over the past 2 years.

I would bet Spiller is among the league leaders in negative yardage runs.

I am more interested in him going elsewhere than the Jets. But I think he will end up there.

Sean Corleone@SeanCorleone 4h

Chris Johnson's career stats vs Bills (3 games): 67 carries, 480 rushing yds, 6 TDs 11 receptions, 107 yards.

not that the bills were actually interested.... Tennessee is probably still at the root of this :)

that aside.... strange spot. not the guy i would have pegged as fitting the needs/roles available based on what i thought their goals were. behind closed doors they must have some plan that makes better sense (atleast to them)

I don't see it anywhere other than here that he is scheduled to visit the Bills if the Jets don't sign him.

DYST Now@DYST_Now 1h

SOURCE: Chris Johnson to the Jets is very possible. All depends on the asking price. Both want to make a deal just a matter of dollars.

This in a nutshell. To boot, I question the Bills play calling here. For Spiller to get those big runs, he needs to get carries. Buffalo just seems beyond stubborn in that regard in splitting 50-50 with Fred Jackson. Spiller reminds me of a running back holding the distinction of being tackled more for a loss than any other in the history of the NFL. That team however continued to give that guy carries and when he got free, he did it in big ways. The Bills just don't do that though, and I really don't know why. Oh yeh....the guy that I'm talking about was Barry Sanders.

How many games a year did they win?

See I think the opposite. I think Spiller is gonna think he's worth big money. The Bills won't and he'll leave.