Schefter: Bills tried acquiring Chris Johnson

Spiller isn't OJ.....but, on the breakaways, he is just as good. He just can't pound it inside as well. the blocking is also an issue. I think somebody will give CJ a boatful of money, and the Bills will loose him. Getting insurance behind CJ is necessary, and I think they will draft at least one back, maybe two. Practice squad fodder at least. Somebody who knows the playbook and could come in if needed.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurtful words Brother :(

I don't like it and I expect it to change but the RB is not valued right now.

When a dime a dozen RB can make 1,000 yards of production then its not anything. When Alfred Morris can do what RB's barely did 20 years ago it became apparent. The RB's in this league are all about on the same tier because teams can't tackle, can't take angles and can't stop the offense.

Are y'all CRAZY??? Do you know how explosive the Bills offense could be with CJ and CJ2K? It'll be like Thurman and Kenny Davis on steroids. How will teams defend the fact that when one comes out the game the other comes in. With Mike Williams taking TJ Graham's spot you now have a throw it up to guy, a slot guy who can't be covered, another explosive guy on the outside in Woods. Throw in Goodwin and you have speed everywhere. If CJ2K is acquired then I want the Bills to go hard at OL in draft.

I'm gonna go with Skycap here. CJ2K would be another threat to trouble defenses. If we solidified that line and gave EJ time to throw flare screen option audible etc ....

geez louise thats just a slice a heaven right there

I'm gonna go with Skycap here. CJ2K would be another threat to trouble defenses. If we solidified that line and gave EJ time to throw flare screen option audible etc ....

geez louise thats just a slice a heaven right there

Thanks 3rd! Heaven is right and Hell for defenses.

i think it would be a good move. similar running style to spiller so if anyone gets hurt it wouldn't hinder the play calling.

and with how cheap tbs are the bills should look into it. no one is paying big bucks for him. he's 28 and turns 29 in september. so i wouldn't be surprised to see him on a 3 year deal that they can cut ties after 2 years.

im also having a hard time putting too much faith in a 33yo fred jackson. love freddy but thats ancient in rb years.

I don't like it and I expect it to change but the RB is not valued right now.

When a dime a dozen RB can make 1,000 yards of production then its not anything. When Alfred Morris can do what RB's barely did 20 years ago it became apparent. The RB's in this league are all about on the same tier because teams can't tackle, can't take angles and can't stop the offense.

The Ole gal aint what she use to be , thats for sure .

I mourn the loss of the sod flying from a Jerome Bettis type of ponder grinding between the tackles or behind the center for another first down. Now thats football !

But you are right of course J

I just don't see CJ2K and Spiller on the roster. I don't recall a team having 2 speed backs? If they add Johnson I would be very surprised if they didn't subtract Spiller.

Oh but they would still have Fred and Frank !

But you might be correct . So if they were "looking " at Chris that means something doesn't it ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Oh but they would still have Fred and Frank !

I would think that they certainly would have Freddie. I suspect Summers will make the team. If they are considering adding Johnson I am fairly confident that they will be trading Spiller. I don't think that the Bills want to guarantee Spiller $20 something million next year. He has been too inconsistent. I like Spiller but the Lache Seastrunk visit and the fact that they were aggressive with Chris Johnson tells me that they are looking for a new speed back.

The RB's in this league are all about on the same tier because teams can't tackle, can't take angles and can't stop the offense.

Perhaps more importantly, RBs aren't as good because the best athletes in high school are playing QB in spread offenses or WR. More money, less contact. It's been that way for a decade now in the feeder systems to the NFL. It's only natural that the quality of skill found at the position would diminish as the college and hs game produces less kids who grow up dreaming of being a RB.

I just don't see CJ2K and Spiller on the roster. I don't recall a team having 2 speed backs? If they add Johnson I would be very surprised if they didn't subtract Spiller.

why not? with how much they want to run the ball. you need extra bodies. why not have 2 similar RBs so you can run the same plays with both backs.

why not? with how much they want to run the ball. you need extra bodies. why not have 2 similar RBs so you can run the same plays with both backs.

You're forgetting the players themselves have egos and aren't automatons. Why would either one want to split carries when they can be the number 1 back on nearly any other team in the league? They're already going to have to split carries with Freddy.

Edited by GreggyT

Forget 2 speed backs on the roster.........two backs that don't follow blocking.

BTW.......the biggest differences between CJ Spiller and Reggie Bush is that Reggie is a smooth receiver in the pass game and CJ is awkward and fights the ball. Reggie can go to the slot and catch a pass downfield.......Spiller not so much. Gailey tried it early on when they thought maybe they could keep him on the field in the slot and that just wasn't his bag. The longer the throw the more he struggles with it. Put him 15 yards downfield and he turns in Dorin Dickerson. Thurman Thomas could catch the ball anywhere on the field and make plays, CJ is just a RB who can catch an extended handoff type of pass. There are fullbacks in the NFL with better receiving skills than CJ.

Because by next year you can't pay both. I would guess that Johnson will be at least $3-$4m (he was scheduled for $8m). Spiller is going to want to get paid after this season and you may get ahead of it and trade him to avoid a Byrd situation (the Houston rumors are already out there). It's possible that they have a standing offer in place with Spiller and 9.

How many teams have 2 elusive speed backs (ever)? I can't think of 1. You just won't invest that kind of money in duplicate players, at least no one that I can think of ever has. I would be really surprised if it was both.

My point is that calling Spiller trash or "just a guy" isn't fair because the Bills had no other viable option, and everyone knew it. So to use that as an indictment of Spiller or Hackett is foolish IMO.

When Spiller wins football games for the Buffalo Bills, I promise to heap weekly praises upon him.

Until then, I will view him as an exceptionally dumb situational player with talent. But we certainly can agree to disagree, no?

I would not expect to spend tons of money on those two either . Conceptually its a pretty cool thought.

If its between the two of them , best Bills friendly contract wins .

I also consider what was mentioned earlier in that Fred does decide to retire a Buffalo Bill after the season .

Edited by 3rdand12

Perhaps more importantly, RBs aren't as good because the best athletes in high school are playing QB in spread offenses or WR. More money, less contact. It's been that way for a decade now in the feeder systems to the NFL. It's only natural that the quality of skill found at the position would diminish as the college and hs game produces less kids who grow up dreaming of being a RB.

excellent point. The players on the field today are premier athletes across the board. We may think Chris Hogan is a dud and Tashard Choice was a backup fodder RB but those guys have stuck around in the league for a while because they are that good of an athlete.

What does that mean? I think that is the important part. Todays athletes on the field are competitors and when the opposition gets good they get better. That is what separates the men from the boys.

When it falls back to RB look at the top rushers. For the last many seasons going back the average looked to be around the top 15-16 backs get 1,000 yards on the ground. Those backs looked like they had about a 80% turnover every other year, and many times might crack it twice, maybe 3 times if they're a top back - Fred Jackson, MJD, Lynch, Chris Johnson, AP... are a few I remember seeing.

Off the top of my head, in my own judgements all of those would have been great RB's in any generation in the past - except CJ2K. I am not sure he would have survived the late 80's and early 90's.

When Spiller wins football games for the Buffalo Bills, I promise to heap weekly praises upon him.

Until then, I will view him as an exceptionally dumb situational player with talent. But we certainly can agree to disagree, no?

We can absolutely agree to disagree, although I think we are in agreement in a lot of ways. I certainly respect your opinion, as you have proved rather knowledgeable over the years.

To put my contention another way; Independent of our opinions of Spiller, no player outside of a QB is going to singlehandedly "win games" for a club in the modern era.

Spiller's draft position has no bearing on my opinion of how he should or could be used, nor his potential impact. Even though I think he is a dynamic player and you do not, whatever his actual value may be is marginalized by weak QB play, weak O line play, and weak WR play (which is IMO tied to weak QB play). The same can be said for Hackett, whom I think is brilliant form an Xs and Os standpoint.

So, we can agree to disagree on Spiller, but the crux of my point did not have to do with Spiller in a vacuum. I'm only referring to Spiller in comparison to the rest of the offense. A perceptive football mind like yours would key on Spiller at the expense of others when facing the Bills, wouldn't it?

Are y'all CRAZY??? Do you know how explosive the Bills offense could be with CJ and CJ2K? It'll be like Thurman and Kenny Davis on steroids. How will teams defend the fact that when one comes out the game the other comes in. With Mike Williams taking TJ Graham's spot you now have a throw it up to guy, a slot guy who can't be covered, another explosive guy on the outside in Woods. Throw in Goodwin and you have speed everywhere. If CJ2K is acquired then I want the Bills to go hard at OL in draft.

WORD!!!

Skycap has it pegged.

Who cares whose contract is up, whose old and is a nice f'in guy or who signed with the Bills in free agency. It doesn't matter.

If the opportunity is there to upgrade your team with a pro bowl talent, you do it! Is he better than Fred? Hell yes everyday. Will Freds feelings be hurt? Who the F cares? This management and coaching group want to win and win now. They don't give a rats a$$ who gets shoved off the bus or into a retirement home. Winning is all that matters and every fan of this team should see that right now!!