New Stadium or Retrofitting the Ralph?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from all the stuff I have read and heard there are a few things that tend to stand out. While I do not care if it is a renovation or new build I doubt anything will be done outside of Erie County. My thought is with the "Advisory Committee" 1/3 is representation for Erie County. Obliviously; if it is a fear of the Bills leaving altogether then sure, but that is really not a reality as there are plenty of places within Erie Count to house the stadium.

I hear a lot about the site lines for the current "bowl" of RWS, it seems to me that there are blueprints that would allow this to be recreated in a new build, correct?

Of course there is cost, but it seems as though the state, county and the Bills, have committed to funds to a project so we should assume a new stadium is an option, how extravagant is another question.

And lastly I think the public works of any project are not really looked at when fan talk about new builds. The water front(while I think would be awesome) I am not sure has anything adequate at the moment does it? The ability to get thousands people in and out, water, sewer and electrical capacity for such an endeavor. Surely, it can all be added, but if cost is an issue would it not make sense to start with a locale that has that or at least much of that infrastructure already in place?

I do like the ideas of the tie in with the Bulls I think that is a really good idea to explore.

NF, could not handle the traffic on either side of the boarder. It would only work with major investments to the bridges and highways which is not cost effective. In addition i don't it would be ideal to the majority of current season ticket holders from Buffalo , Rochester or Eastern PA. The lower bowl of the Ralph is as good as it gets, but major work needs to be done on the upper deck. A new downtown stadium would be ideal if renovation to The Ralph is to expensive.

Stadiums don't revitalize urban blight. The literature is fairly clear on this. In fact, significant economic impact from a new stadium rarely materializes--at least nowhere near to the scale promised by developers/teams/politicians.

i am not so sure I agreewith this. Most of the places where i have been where new stadiums have been built in the city i think have had big impacts. Again, just a sense i have , no basis in fact.

To qualify, i am prolly thinking more of baseball, hockey/basketball than football.

I hear a lot about the site lines for the current "bowl" of RWS, it seems to me that there are blueprints that would allow this to be recreated in a new build, correct?

the only problem i see with that is all the new stadiums are really built around the suites, all situated around mid level of the stadiums. I kid you not, i am pretty sure the 5th row of the upper deck at Gilette, Fedex, Heinz, etc are all as high or higher than the top row at the Ralph.and to me, no new stadium without those suites built in.

Not necessarliy near UB, but I agree with the needing to build a "hypothetical new Ralph" near major route arteries. If downtown would be considered, you have to think that more entry / exit routes would have to be built. Here in Philly, the City and The Eagles have a very sweet set up in the old shipyard district. One of the things thats most attractive to me is getting in / out of the Sports Zone where the Eagles / Flyers / Phillies all play. Easy access to all main roads in and out.

That's nuts. Anyone who's ever driven there will tell you traffic is a nightmare.

The Canadian side of the Falls might be able to handle a Super Bowl in the not too distant future...but the American side, I don't know. Of course, at this point, the Super Bowl is more of a corporate thing, but the whole passport issue might be a consideration.

The passport issue didn't stop the NFL from factoring Windsor's amenities into the equation of a Detroit Super Bowl.

The passport issue didn't stop the NFL from factoring Windsor's amenities into the equation of a Detroit Super Bowl.

There was no passport issue back when Detroit had a Super Bowl. That was way before 9/11. Didn't need one to cross the US/Canadian boarder.

From what Russ Brandon stated, it could take up to two years just to even come up with a decision on a new stadium or retrofitting "The Ralph." If retrofitting is the answer, then how much more retrofitting will need to be done considering "The Ralph" is presently being renovated?

Also, is there any way possible for a new, long term lease to be completed, whether it’s for a new stadium or “The Ralph” before the team is sold?

Go to Wikipedia & look up what renovations were done to Soldier field, Lambeau , & Arrow head & you can see just how much more will have to be done to bring the Ralph up to par with the better stadiums in the league .

I just did a post not to long ago on this that got little or no attention paid to it but it explained how a lot of info on each stadium & there renovations which would be the cheaper way to go i would be less than half what a new stadium would cost if the state couldn't swing it .

The thing that really sucks is if the state wouldn't have put the money behind building 2 baseball stadiums & a basketball arena in NYC there would have been funding for a new home for the Bills in western NY but 90% of all the dang taxes go to keep the city a float & it's still a hole …..

I seriously doubt with a domed stadium at Niagara Falls that is beautiful and all the hotels etc in Niagara Falls we still will never get a SB.

That maybe true but if the city has the infrastructure as far as hotels, restaurants, to support a SB every NFL city should be in the running if the stadium isn't a open air stadium just for the simple fact the amount of revenue they could lose due to inclement weather ..

I just hope our new stadium isn't like Jerry world in Arlington tx. That place is dead and you are far removed from the action. People only come to watch the huge screen. The acoustics are horrible and you feel like you are 10 miles away from the field at every level. If we build a new stadium it needs to be done well. I think it will be at niagara falls

Go to Wikipedia & look up what renovations were done to Soldier field, Lambeau , & Arrow head & you can see just how much more will have to be done to bring the Ralph up to par with the better stadiums in the league .

I just did a post not to long ago on this that got little or no attention paid to it but it explained how a lot of info on each stadium & there renovations which would be the cheaper way to go i would be less than half what a new stadium would cost if the state couldn't swing it .

The thing that really sucks is if the state wouldn't have put the money behind building 2 baseball stadiums & a basketball arena in NYC there would have been funding for a new home for the Bills in western NY but 90% of all the dang taxes go to keep the city a float & it's still a hole …..

That maybe true but if the city has the infrastructure as far as hotels, restaurants, to support a SB every NFL city should be in the running if the stadium isn't a open air stadium just for the simple fact the amount of revenue they could lose due to inclement weather ..

Say what??

Anyway, the public financing (mostly by the CIty, not the state) was not from increased taxes or direct money given for the stadiums, but was in tax-exempt financing in the form of bonds. I'm sure if the Bills offered to build a new stadium, they could get the same or similar tax free financing. But, until recently, the Bills have never offered to contribute significantly to renovations, let alone build a new stadium.