Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foolish to trade up to #1. absolutely .

Unless we traded down and then back up.

Now trading up to 7-8 is something to consider ?

I hope we are holding a hell of a card when the 7 pick is on the clock .

I am expecting some rise in QBs as we get closer. I wouldn't mind a mild panic once the first QB is picked by who ever traded up to 1

Nobody trades up to # 1 to draft a left tackle when they already have a PROVEN LT on the roster.

WR?? Doubtful. Are either watkins or evans worth giving up an entire draft? No way. My head would explode.

Mack? Maybe. But i could have possibly seen that more of a possibility under pettines D than schwarz.

Clowney? This is the only real viable trade up IMO. DE is a bit of a need across from Mario and clowney is a monster. Could be worth a trade up.

QB? Doubtful. But trading up to #1 from 9 a year after drafting EJ would pretty much seal EJ's fate. I just dont see it playing out that way. Its one thing to take a QB if one drops to 9 (though that would be controversial too) but its a completely different animal to say "we're going all in on this new QB". Very doubtful.

In the end, all scenarios would be very unlikely for BLO. Based on our needs, we're sitting pretty at 9. Maybe jumping up a few spots if we REALLY want watkins or mack but not all the way to 1.

I think it is highly unlikely the Bills would do this. It just doesn't make sense for where they're at in the rebuild; especially considering how deep this draft is. The Bills & Whaley know the draft is the lifeblood of bringing talent to Buffalo so mortgaging draft picks to move up seems unlikely.

BUT, playing devil's advocate I can see how this might be intriguing. First, the draft is extremely deep (starting caliber players in 3rd or 4th round) so maybe they feel that giving up their 2nd and/or 3rd round pick isn't the end of the world.

Secondly, maybe the Bills have a player that the Texans are highly interested in which could be part of deal & mitigate loss of picks. I really dont know too much about HOU's needs to a Texans' fan would have to chime in.

The Bills & Whaley have repeatedly praised Manuel & stated they are open to drafting any position other then QB. They seem very high on EJ & just spent a 1st on him last year. He had an injury plagued rookie year so I don't see them giving up on him already. I just don't see them moving up to take a QB. None of these guys really jump off the paper like Luck or RG3 did. Those guys were locks & I just dont see that in this QB class.

I'm totally against this move if they going to take anyone other then Clowney. I love Mack but he isn't worth the top pick playing in this defense.

The only player that makes sense to me in this scenario is Clowney. The more I think about it, the more I would love to see them make that happen if the price is right. Whaley learned his craft in PIT so he knows defense can win championships. Then you have SEA dominating the "unstoppable" DEN offense with their stellar defense. Maybe Whaley feels that adding Clowney would put this team over the top.

You only do a move like this for a sure fire, elite talent. Clowney has been called a once in a generation type talent at DE which is coincidentally our biggest hole on defense atm. We dont have a sure fire starter opposite Mario in Schwartz's scheme which relies heavily on the d-line producing pressure on their own with out blitzing.

Just imagine the 6'6" / 275 LB athletic freak of Clowney to this defensive front:

Mario Williams 6'7" / 290lb LDE - 13.5 sacks

Kyle Williams 6'1" / 320lb DT - 10.5 sacks

Marcel Dareus 6'3" / 335lb DT - 7.5 sacks

J. Clowney 6'6" / 275lb RDE

Then you have Jerry Hughes to spell @ DE or OLB with 10 sacks

That would be the best defensive line in the league. Schwartz doesn't like to blitz & wouldnt have to with that front 4... I'm getting a hard on just thinking about it. The addition of Spikes & Rivers should really improve the run d so DE is the biggest hole they have on d right now

Keep things simple on offense with big doses of Spiller/FJax & let the defense do its thing. SEA proved that if you have a dominating defense & good running game, you can go a long way. We should be able to get a RT in the 3rd or 4th who could be an upgrade over Pears. It also appears Hairston maybe back & he looked very promising b4 injuries derailed him

Edited by smapdi

In other news, Team Captain and Coach Reggie "Reg" Dunlop indicated that a retirement community in Florida is interested in buying the Charlestown Chiefs and relocating them.

That came from Dickie Dunn so it's got to be true.

I like Clowney and think he is the real deal.

What does Mario's contract look like at the end of this year? The Bills could be looking to move up this year and get their best player in the draft and have options with Mario next year.

I know its bleacher report, but Pompei is a pretty good reporter. He cites sources saying the Bills appear to be interested in trading up, particularly with the Texans who want to move out of the #1 pick. It's the first blurb under "NFL Confidential". EDIT: apparently this forum won't let me link to the site of the article. Sal Capaccio tweeted the article out for those interested.

Mods it's time to allow Bleacher Report back on because they are getting credible reporters like Pompei...

Hell yeah, we should totally trade up for Manziel that guy is a born leader, playmaker and clutch what else can you ask for in a QB.

What does Mario's contract look like at the end of this year? The Bills could be looking to move up this year and get their best player in the draft and have options with Mario next year.

If we trade up for anything other than a QB the Bills are complete morons.

What off the field problems?

Drinking in college is not an off the field problem

That crap is so blown out of proportion. It has absolutely no bearing on his skill set. Hell, I'll buy him a beer when I see him, whether he's old enough at the time or not!

No sarcasm intended, honest question:

How often does a team that announces their intention to move up in this manner actually wind up doing so?

Hard not to believe that it's just the usual fun -n- games. An earlier poster hit it on the nose that we are probably the only team in the top10 that could scare EVERY team above us by moving up as we can take literally any one of the top players and screw up draft boards.

As much as I would love to see Clowney or Johnny Buffalo, and the Bills to make an aggressive move like this, we become a nightmare to other GM's if we are up at the top of the draft….so why not float it (whoever floated it) and see what other GM's are thinking?

That crap is so blown out of proportion. It has absolutely no bearing on his skill set. Hell, I'll buy him a beer when I see him, whether he's old enough at the time or not!

I agree, I like Manziel and I look forward to him playing. There was one headline that ran for a couple of days about him getting kicked out of a frat party at another school. It came complete with Iphone video. The media is feeding the beast.

On the other side, I am 99 percent sure he took a bunch of money for signing autographs that under the current (and moronic ) NCAA system should have had him kicked out of football.

Either way people care about what he is up to both on the field and off and that is what makes him a star.

This reality is going to make him and whomever drafts him a bunch of money.

Edited by agardin

No way, no how! I'd prefer to trade down than up!

I think it is highly unlikely the Bills would do this. It just doesn't make sense for where they're at in the rebuild; especially considering how deep this draft is. The Bills & Whaley know the draft is the lifeblood of bringing talent to Buffalo so mortgaging draft picks to move up seems unlikely.

BUT, playing devil's advocate I can see how this might be intriguing. First, the draft is extremely deep (starting caliber players in 3rd or 4th round) so maybe they feel that giving up their 2nd and/or 3rd round pick isn't the end of the world.

Secondly, maybe the Bills have a player that the Texans are highly interested in which could be part of deal & mitigate loss of picks. I really dont know too much about HOU's needs to a Texans' fan would have to chime in.

The Bills & Whaley have repeatedly praised Manuel & stated they are open to drafting any position other then QB. They seem very high on EJ & just spent a 1st on him last year. He had an injury plagued rookie year so I don't see them giving up on him already. I just don't see them moving up to take a QB. None of these guys really jump off the paper like Luck or RG3 did. Those guys were locks & I just dont see that in this QB class.

I'm totally against this move if they going to take anyone other then Clowney. I love Mack but he isn't worth the top pick playing in this defense.

The only player that makes sense to me in this scenario is Clowney. The more I think about it, the more I would love to see them make that happen if the price is right. Whaley learned his craft in PIT so he knows defense can win championships. Then you have SEA dominating the "unstoppable" DEN offense with their stellar defense. Maybe Whaley feels that adding Clowney would put this team over the top.

You only do a move like this for a sure fire, elite talent. Clowney has been called a once in a generation type talent at DE which is coincidentally our biggest hole on defense atm. We dont have a sure fire starter opposite Mario in Schwartz's scheme which relies heavily on the d-line producing pressure on their own with out blitzing.

Just imagine the 6'6" / 275 LB athletic freak of Clowney to this defensive front:

Mario Williams 6'7" / 290lb LDE - 13.5 sacks

Kyle Williams 6'1" / 320lb DT - 10.5 sacks

Marcel Dareus 6'3" / 335lb DT - 7.5 sacks

J. Clowney 6'6" / 275lb RDE

Then you have Jerry Hughes to spell @ DE or OLB with 10 sacks

That would be the best defensive line in the league. Schwartz doesn't like to blitz & wouldnt have to with that front 4... I'm getting a hard on just thinking about it. The addition of Spikes & Rivers should really improve the run d so DE is the biggest hole they have on d right now

Keep things simple on offense with big doses of Spiller/FJax & let the defense do its thing. SEA proved that if you have a dominating defense & good running game, you can go a long way. We should be able to get a RT in the 3rd or 4th who could be an upgrade over Pears. It also appears Hairston maybe back & he looked very promising b4 injuries derailed him

And we still probably couldn't stop the run. Enough on the D side of the ball. We need an O so draft Ot at #9 or Evans and OT in 2nd. Edited by Your Mom

Thank you, agardin. Thank you very much.

I would have used Dunn, but I thought it would be too much of a stretch for some.

I think that Mario's contract is livable, but as we get better I would image in the next couple of years they may have to fiddle with it, at the very least.

According to a friend who lives in a Houston suburb, there's a writer for the Houston Chronicle named John McClain and he gets a lot respect because he's really plugged into the Texans - he evidently has a source who feeds him accurate information nearly 100% of the time.

This is what McClain said about the potential trade:

John McClain@McClain_on_NFL

No way Texans trade with Buffalo to ninth.

http://twitter.com/M...601763096551424

Edited by Campy

How often does a team that announces their intention to move up in this manner actually wind up doing so?

I'm not sure what the answer is to the question...

I am 100% sure the Bills have not announced their intention to do anything...I'm also pretty sure the rumor has no legs...Or very, very short legs...

For what it's worth the Bills very own hired talking head John Murphy pretty emphatically shot down these rumors last night on his show...Murph did not have his usual casual voice on when responding however briefly to this rumor...And yes before any of you say it I realize Murphy is not the Bills GM and they could easily hide their intentions from him...But it was more of the way he responded to it...Like it was shoddy reporting that had no basis in fact...He opened his show saying they've "got a great show tonight rooted in reality not wild rumors..."

So...Anyway...Take it for what it's worth... B-)