Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting if true. Most likely scenario is that it doesn't happen, and quite possibly this is just a fake leak from the Texans to drum up more interest from teams in the top 8. But it's fun to speculate, so let's pretend it's real. There's a lot of speculation that the Bills like Evans a lot, and given Marrone's very uncertain comments about Hairston, I have to think they're interested in the tackles as well*. But I don't think you move up to #1 to draft Evans or one of the tackles, especially if you're planning on playing the OT at RT for at least 2 years. So who would they move up for? QB is out. The OTs are out. Watkins is a possibility, but all the way to #1 for him? I dunno. That leaves Clowney and Mack, either of which would make sense. The only thing about Mack, though, is that he's probably a run-package OLB (nickel DE) in a 4-3, and Whaley sure sounded gung-ho on Keith Rivers being a full-time starter. You don't trade up to #1 to draft a part-time player. So I think it's really Clowney or bust in this scenario.

*Here's my logic: Pears had a down year last year AND is in the last year of his deal. Whaley said "the plan" is for Pears to continue starting this year, but didn't sound super confident in Pears. I feel like if the Bills can upgrade the RT spot, they'll probably cut Pears in training camp, but if they can't upgrade that spot, they're willing to roll him back as the starter next year and find a replacement next offseason. As for that upgrade, FA has been picked clean, so that's out. If Hairston was already medically cleared, then it would make sense that he'd be looked at as a possible upgrade, but according to Marrone, that hasn't happened yet, so they can't possibly be counting on him at this stage. That leaves Thomas Welch as the only other tackle on the roster, which is very light for this time of year. All of their young/cheap/developmental/deep backup linemen are interior guys except for Welch. So I can definitely see them being interested in one of the top tackles, because he could probably start at RT right away, serve as the backup LT if Glenn gets hurt, and (from Whaley's perspective) provide insurance against Glenn leaving in 2 years.

Id rather see them trade down. Would anybody argue that Kiko Alonzo, Robert Woods, or Marquis Goodwin are bad football players? All picked after the first round . This is a deep draft. You can still fill the tackle need or receiver need in the second half of the first round and get yourself another 2nd rounder and fill your other needs. Moving up would be a mistake. This team is still four players (WR, OG, OT, TE) away from being a playoff team. You could fill all those needs in the first three rounds with an extra pick in the second.

Edited by DOGNESS

The Bills biggest needs are O-line and WR. There's Evans and Watkins in addition to Robinson, Matthews, and Lewan. These are all top prospects and at least one if not several will still be on the board for the Bills to choose from. There is no reason for the Bills to trade up.

Edited by DDD

I heard of the article and gotta admit it surprised me , but the Bills have been doing alot of DE interviews, it seems they are searching for that "bookend" for opposite mario.. that puts a different light on it..I believe if they move up its for Clowney. the difference in the top tackles isnt so dramatic as to warrant a move to 1 overall, as good as Mack is,he is not a number one imo, it would have to be Clowney , unless. the dropped a bomb and took a qb. :doh:

i checked the trade value chart it would cost the BILLS this years 1st and 3rd.and next years 1st and 2nd and possibly another if BILLS improvement puts there pick in 2015 past 16 overall

Edited by tombstone56

I heard of the article and gotta admit it surprised me , but the Bills have been doing alot of DE interviews, it seems they are searching for that "bookend" for opposite mario.. that puts a different light on it..I believe if they move up its for Clowney. the difference in the top tackles isnt so dramatic as to warrant a move to 1 overall, as good as Mack is,he is not a number one imo, it would have to be Clowney , unless. the dropped a bomb and took a qb. :doh:

This doesnt surprise me since Schwartz depends mainly on the D-line to generate pressure so adding another legit DE especially one that can rush the passer would make sense

not sure i like the idea of trading up though

I'm assuming we give up this years 1st, 2nd and next years 1st to move up...plus something else right? You only give that up if you're going for a qb.

I would also do it for a once-a-decade defensive player.

If you think that's what Clowney is, it would be worth it. Whether or not he is that, is another story.

Even assuming you'd hit on your original 1-2-1 picks, would you give up a Gilmore, Dareus, and Glenn for Lawrence Taylor or Ray Lewis? I would, even though those three are really solid players.

So assuming the Bills did draft a tackle in the first two rounds, why would they cut Pears?

What happens if the rookie tackle blows an acl or breaks his leg? Then what?

It would be wise for the Bills to draft a tackle AND keep Pears for depth. Although what you suggested is something the Bills would typically do and get caught with their pants down after their rookie tackle goes out with a season ending injury.

Give Pears a good look-see at RG.

i checked the trade value chart it would cost the BILLS this years 1st and 3rd.and next years 1st and 2nd and possibly another if BILLS improvement puts there pick in 2015 past 16 overall

The trade chart is pretty outdated as far as the trade up value at the top of the draft. Generally the player the teams want to trade up for determines the amount of picks. See the picks the Skins had to give up for to get RG3 and see what Dallas had to do to get up to take Claiborne. I know this isn't the perfect example, but if there isn't a premiere player (ie a stud QB), the cost is generally much less.

So assuming the Bills did draft a tackle in the first two rounds, why would they cut Pears?

What happens if the rookie tackle blows an acl or breaks his leg? Then what?

It would be wise for the Bills to draft a tackle AND keep Pears for depth. Although what you suggested is something the Bills would typically do and get caught with their pants down after their rookie tackle goes out with a season ending injury.

To answer your first question, "to save money." The Bills have a history of not paying starter salaries to backups, and cutting former starters after they're beaten out in camp or during the season. I agree with everything you said in your last paragraph.