Johnny Manziel thread

At some point people have to realize that this kid lost to every good football team he has played this year (with the exception of maybe Duke). He's like college Matt Flynn, the guy has more hype surrounding him from one game 15 months ago.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point people have to realize that this kid lost to every good football team he has played this year (with the exception of maybe Duke). He's like college Matt Flynn, the guy has more hype surrounding him from one game 15 months ago.

Good point....it's not like the Texas a and m defense didn't give up unlimited yardage and points every week.

Did Matt Flynn win a heisman ? Did Matt Flynn break cam newtons sec yards record ?

Comparison not even close IMO. Jff has too many haters just because his life is awesome.

I don't think he was saying Manziel was like Flynn in college. He was saying Manziel in college = Flynn in the pros.

I don't hate him because his life is "awesome." I don't hate him at all, I just do not see him and his game making a fully successful transition to the National Football League. I think he will join the ranks of great college QBs that just didn't make the grade in the pros.

For me the perfect place for Manziel would be Arizona. He wouldn't have to play right away, becuase they have in Carson Palmer a serviceable starter. He could learn, improve, and then when he does play in Bruce Arians he has a head coach who has experience with a Quarterback in Big Ben, who whilst a very different body type and style is arguably at his best when improvising outside of the pocket to keep plays alive. He also has in Larry Fitzgerald a "Mike Evans type" of No1 wideout who will be there for him to throw it up to when everything breaks down and they have a defense that can help him out if he does make some naive mistakes. I think it would be a nice fit... not that I think they have a shot at getting him.

Manziel wasn't just "a good college QB". He was arguably the most productive and impactful QB the NCAA has ever seen. He didn't play in some kind of short passing, number inflating system. He played in the SEC.....so he played the best competition possible. Nearly beat Alabama twice....with a whole lot less talent on his side. I agree that he has room to improve but I think at this point, people are over-thinking this. This is exactly the kind of a talent you take a chance on. But I also think that on draft day he is long gone before the Bills can even start to consider the possibility of getting him.

A little hyperbole since there have been far more productive, decorated, and impactful QB's in college, many of whom have failed in the NFL. Again there is no consensus on JM and just as many people who think he'll boom as he'll bust. And I hope you're right that he's gone before the Bills pick because it won't make them double-minded and it will push another good player down to them.

The answer is pretty simple......EJ and Manziel would get all of the snaps in OTA and then they get all of them in camp until a winner is chosen. Couldn't care less how that effects Thad. If EJ wins the job, then so be it. I haven't given up on EJ yet, but I do realize that it could just as easily be pretty clear that he ISN'T the guy by midseason next year......whether it be more accumulations of injuries......or teams just watching tape and magnifying the weaknesses they have identified in his limited exposure last season. If you assume you have seen the worst of EJ......then you are guilty of not learning from the past 14 years of QB play. For example: EJ struggles badly with accuracy to his left. He doesn't get his shoulders in line with his target and throws across his body because of shabby footwork. He obviously had a NUMBER of issues this year.......but to assume that they were all fully taken advantage of is dead wrong. If there are other weaknesses, coaches like Belichick and Ryan will find them. There is a reason why the JP Losmans, Trent Edwards, Mark Sanchez don't just continue on an upward trajectory. They don't just flame out at 25.....they just get exposed. In the event that Manuel turns into the hot mess that I think he just as easily could, then Manziel begins his development earlier so the Bills aren't starting with a rookie QB in year 3 of Marrone.

With the number of factors working against EJ last year, I would not look to add another guy who will take valuable reps away from him, again. Had he had the majority of snaps last year, not gotten injured in training camp, had a better OL and receivers, and not had a rookie OC and no dedicated QB coach, I could maybe see adding competition. However despite all that, I maintain that if he'd stayed healthy by going out of bounds in the Browns game, the Bills would have won at least 8 games, while they should have won the Altanta game and that was on Stevie and Chandler. I'd give him the year and then look to draft a guy like Winston next year, if EJ looks like a "hot mess."

I heard a "scout" say that he misses open WR, resulting in his scrambling like a chicken with it's head cut off. The scout continued saying it was more of a compliment to the OL and WR's conditioning.

I'd pass...I think he's fun to watch, but may never be more than a immature sideshow.

So who's on the Manziel bandwagon, so we know what's what when people later claim they knew how he'd turn out?

Count me in the "I wish the Bills would trade-up to draft him" camp. He does have the Flutie-like intagibles to be a winner.

Edited by HT02

A little hyperbole since there have been far more productive, decorated, and impactful QB's in college, many of whom have failed in the NFL.

This right here tells me how little you follow college football. By all means detail all of these more productive, decorated and impactful QB's. His two year production passing and running the football is historic. This wasn't just a hype machine selling a personality.......he earned his attention by putting up numbers that simply could not be ignored and elevating a program that most thought was in for an a**whipping going into the SEC.....the guy went out stacked numbers like a pinball machine week-in and week-out for two years. Also not sure you can get far more decorated than winning the Heisman as a freshman. Then you put that in the context of doing it all in the SEC and it becomes sublime. Hyperbole? Absolutely not.

A little hyperbole since there have been far more productive, decorated, and impactful QB's in college, many of whom have failed in the NFL. Again there is no consensus on JM and just as many people who think he'll boom as he'll bust. And I hope you're right that he's gone before the Bills pick because it won't make them double-minded and it will push another good player down to them.

These numbers are spectacular: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/johnny-manziel-1.html

This right here tells me how little you follow college football. By all means detail all of these more productive, decorated and impactful QB's. His two year production passing and running the football is historic. This wasn't just a hype machine selling a personality.......he earned his attention by putting up numbers that simply could not be ignored and elevating a program that most thought was in for an a**whipping going into the SEC.....the guy went out stacked numbers like a pinball machine week-in and week-out for two years. Also not sure you can get far more decorated than winning the Heisman as a freshman. Then you put that in the context of doing it all in the SEC and it becomes sublime. Hyperbole? Absolutely not.

These numbers are spectacular: http://www.sports-re...-manziel-1.html

It will be interesting to see how he does in the NFL. But it won't be with the Bills.

Well seeing as how Winston is better than Manziel, I'd say if he was replacing him a loss wouldn't be felt by Texas A&M either.

Let's just say Texas A&M is going to feel the loss of Manziel a heck of a lot worse than FSU felt the loss of EJ.