So...What happens next?

This is the single biggest deterrent to moving the Bills to LA, and it is the single biggest thing working in favor of moving the team to Toronto. I don't think the relocation fee would apply if the team moved to Toronto since that city is currently considered part of the Bills market. So there's $400 million in savings. I don't know what Toronto's/Ontario's financial situation is, but if they could get an NFL franchise, I could see them funneling public money to a stadium.... so you could see savings there as well. That type of government support is far less likely in LA, where government is up to its ears in debt.

If someone with connections to Canada gets the team, I think our best hope as fans is to have the team relocate to Niagara Falls, ON and have ownership build a stadium in the entertainment district there. At least the team would be closer to Buffalo than Toronto.

The team would never move to NF Ont. They would be on the American side, if anything.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An argument could also be made that perhaps he has been trying to do just that for years, but there were no buyers willing to stay in Buffalo that could put together a reasonable offer.

Only a couple of people would know this, and I suspect none of them are on here :)

what would possibly be the point of keeping that secret especially if he had concern for his legacy? the only thing i can come up with would be to stop fans from prematurely abandoning ship. seems unlikely.

what would possibly be the point of keeping that secret especially if he had concern for his legacy? the only thing i can come up with would be to stop fans from prematurely abandoning ship. seems unlikely.

if ralph ever came out and said the bills are staying in WNY no matter what, he would have lost his leverage to get the county and state to kick in the same support that most if not all other nfl franchises enjoy from their local and state governments.

if ralph ever came out and said the bills are staying in WNY no matter what, he would have lost his leverage to get the county and state to kick in the same support that most if not all other nfl franchises enjoy from their local and state governments.

Excellent point.

He was always a smart business man. One of the reasons why the Bills are debt free

CBF

This just dawned on me and I was going to type it after reading the last 7 pages, and then you posted it right at the end.

I've been thinking for years - why doesn't he announce a plan to keep the Bills in Buffalo upon his demise, and feel the incredible love all of WNY and beyond would have for him - while he was alive???............And, it hit me now - then he would lose all leverage while he was alive. If everybody got too comfortable, govt money would not flow too freely, fans wouldn't feel as much pressure to buy tickets, etc.

When you're not the Cowboys, Giants, etc., leverage is one of the big things you have, and like CBF said, he was a very smart businessman.

How will you discern the difference between Wilson not having a plan and someone else deciding his plan wasn't enough? You can blame whoever you want, obviously, but the approach seems to smack of blaming ex-coaches for all the failings of the team.

Pretty sure they go with what the deceased plan was - and I'm sure Ralph crossed all his ts and dotted all his Is

An argument could also be made that perhaps he has been trying to do just that for years, but there were no buyers willing to stay in Buffalo that could put together a reasonable offer.

Only a couple of people would know this, and I suspect none of them are on here :)

Probably not a good argument ! Kelly has said numerous times that he has spoken to investors who have the funds to purchase team. Not to mention, Pegula, Golisano or Jacobs or others. In addition, if this was the case, I'm sure Wilson would have said something

wouldn't need to say "no matter what". all need said is " i sold the team to someone with intention to keep the team in buffalo". or even "i've discussed selling the team to some with intention...".

The Bills will not be sold for at least a couple years because it's been said that the estate must be settled first. But the team will likely be sold well before year 7 of the lease. Now it's up to us fans to show we can support the Bills. Forget about "14 years and counting..." and fill the stadium for every game. If you won't support the team now don't come here crying when they leave.

PTR

For what it's worth:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/26/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-dies/

I asked him what made him keep the franchise in western New York. This was a man not from Buffalo, and watched during his ownership of the Bills as Buffalo dropped from the 18th-largest market in America to 49th, and resisted feelers and offers to sell the team for a monstrous profit or to move the franchise to a lucrative market—Los Angeles, for instance.

“I couldn’t bear to do that to the people of Buffalo,’’ he said. “They’re such good people, and they love that team. They need that team.”

The Bills will not be sold for at least a couple years because it's been said that the estate must be settled first. But the team will likely be sold well before year 7 of the lease. Now it's up to us fans to show we can support the Bills. Forget about "14 years and counting..." and fill the stadium for every game. If you won't support the team now don't come here crying when they leave.

PTR

Just playing devil's advocate here but what if they start the season 2-6?

PTR

I totally agree PTR. I have season tickets and I still live in NJ.

But, it would be nice, ahem, for there to be some meaningful games in December.

For people like me, it is not the price of the tickets that has kept me from driving in but the quality of the

product. So , I buy the tickets and hope I will make the drive and the key issue will be bad weather

on the drive and not a guaranteed loss and a sad drive home.

Funny, after a win, those 420 miles go by quick.

RnJ

Doesn't matter if they go 0-15. To the people that think stadium attendance matters in the decision process to stay in Buffalo or not (I am not one) all that matters is every home game selling out no matter what. Anything less gives new ownership reason to leave Buffalo.

For what it's worth:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/03/26/ralph-wilson-buffalo-bills-dies/

“I couldn’t bear to do that to the people of Buffalo,’’ he said. “They’re such good people, and they love that team. They need that team.”

i feel like this quote should be saved forever. Regardless what happens now that Mr. Wilson is no longer here. It's what he to ensure this happened when he was.

But more so because if there is a plan in place that no one knew about that comes to light. Ralph should be help up on the highest pedestal in the city forever.

Per Rodak: Littman named executor of the estate and will control the trust.

IMO that sucks as he will maximize profit of the sale over any home town discount to keep the franchise in Buffalo.

Even the most ardent homer knows Littman will be one of the first fired when new ownership takes over. His parachute surely is golden.

It's still your call. If 2-6 is too much to bear stay home. But don't complain when the team leaves.

I don't care what the Bills record is myself. The experience of going to games is independent of that. I know others live and die by how the Bills do. We fans can't control how the team plays. All we can do is hope the regime in charge will be successful. But we can control the opinion of others as to how well we support the team.

If RWS is half empty in December the media will point fingers and say "Bills fans don't care. They won't support the Bills!" There will be no excuses about XX years with no playoffs. The media deals in black and white: empty seats = bad fans.

It's that simple. If cheering for a bad Bills team is too hard, then in 2019 you won't have that problem anymore.

PTR

Doesn't matter if they go 0-15. To the people that think stadium attendance matters in the decision process to stay in Buffalo or not (I am not one) all that matters is every home game selling out no matter what. Anything less gives new ownership reason to leave Buffalo.

I disagree and for two good reasons. First, Brandon's been subtly shoveling the FEAR angle with Bills fans for years and it's time this team performs and earn the support of the community and put a quality product on the field. Second, your kidding yourself if you think a prospective owner will change their minds because we fill the stadium. Prospective owners will fall into two categories, neither influenced by attendance. One, he/she is from Buffalo and want to keep the team here. In that case, they know this community supported losing teams and were rabid about winning teams. Two, he/she is set on moving the team, selling out this stadium won't change the economics of the suite sales that can be had in LA. Look, the other 31 owners, commissioner and every prospective owner knows there is a good fan base in WNY that supports the team win or lose, what Buffalo doesn't have that LA has is MONEY, and lots of it --- NONE of us can change that -- in today's NFL suite sales to rich people and corporations is the ticket to financial success --- we can't change the Buffalo economy, the size of the TV market or the number of wealthy people. Buying the $40 seat is not going to change the equation. Expect better NOW from this team and the FO, GM and coaches !!

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Then out of nowhere, Jon Bon Jovi comes flying into town on an 80s rock guitar cloud, announces he has just purchased the team, changing the name to the New Jersey Bills, but in a weird twist says they will continue to play out of RWS in Buffalo (If NY teams can play in Jersey, why can't a Jersey team play in NY?)

This is perfect!!

PTR

ding ding ding