So...What happens next?

I think the sad but true truth here, is that Ralph's legacy will either be forever enshrined or tarnished by how the handling of selling this team goes. If they stay, he will be remembered as King, they leave, and he leaves fans feeling bitter for not being responsible. Please go out a King Mr. Wilson!

Not buying that. Wilson was good to his word to the fans in Buffalo. He kept the team here. Nobody's legacy should be held hostage to the decisions other people make (and make no mistake, whatever the plan is, it is now up to others to carry it out) after they are gone.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

potential buyer(s) Sabres owner Terry Pegula.

B. Thomas Golisano. “The higher the concern, the more interest I probably would have,” Golisano told The News in February 2011.

Jim Kelly, the Hall of Fame quarterback, who said he wants to be part of the franchise’s next ownership team.

Thurman Thomas (may be part of the JK club)

from other web searches

Jon Bon Jovi is allegedly interested in buying the Buffalo Bills when the team goes up for sale

Buffalo native Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

the team doesn't have to be sold to the highest bidder.

the nfl goes through an extensive process on financial/best interests on potential owners bids in purchasing respective teams.

The Wilson family can sell, the NFL has to okay the buyer and the owners vote.

Correct. Snyder was not the highest bidder for the Redskins.

Not buying that. Wilson was good to his word to the fans in Buffalo. He kept the team here. Nobody's legacy should be held hostage to the decisions other people make (and make no mistake, whatever the plan is, it is now up to others to carry it out) after they are gone.

I'm with Mango on this. If Ralph created a plan prior to his death to keep the Bills in Buffalo after he died, he will be crowned King. If he didn't, and the Bills do indeed move, it will tarnish his image. Why ? Because he COULD HAVE created such a plan and for whatever reason did not.

Let's be realistic about this situation. The chances that the Bills remain in Buffalo are slim at best. It's an economic black hole, with no real prospects for future growth and vitality. It's a shame because the fanbase is incredibly loyal, but loyalty has no real place in today's America. It's all about the almighty dollar. So, enjoy the team while it's still here. Hopefully, they can catch lightning in a bottle and win the big one. If not, well, then it was a good run for a small town.

Let's be realistic about this situation. The chances that the Bills remain in Buffalo are slim at best. It's an economic black hole, with no real prospects for future growth and vitality. It's a shame because the fanbase is incredibly loyal, but loyalty has no real place in today's America. It's all about the almighty dollar. So, enjoy the team while it's still here. Hopefully, they can catch lightning in a bottle and win the big one. If not, well, then it was a good run for a small town.

So the 11th best TV market in the NFL, Buffalo, is a black hole? Interesting.

And lets be realistic, the NFL gets the majority of its money from TV...

And lets be realistic, the NFL gets the majority of its money from TV...

That may be the case, but the amount of money available to a team to help meet the cap is now by and large determined by non-TV revenues. And the Bills are sorely lacking in that department, unfortunately.

An NFL franchise has more value in Los Angeles than it does in Buffalo. If the terms of Ralph's will is to place the Bills "on the block" in an open auction, without any conditions in terms of location, the highest value you can extract will be from an owner that wants to move the team to Los Angeles. There are three things that could prevent this: (1) Ralph places a condition or pre-negotiated a purchase (2) the commissioner and other NFL owners prevent relocation OR (3) the highest bidder chooses to keep the team in Buffalo and overpay in order to do it. I'm hoping and praying one of those 3 scenarios plays out.

An NFL franchise has more value in Los Angeles than it does in Buffalo. If the terms of Ralph's will is to place the Bills "on the block" in an open auction, without any conditions in terms of location, the highest value you can extract will be from an owner that wants to move the team to Los Angeles. There are three things that could prevent this: (1) Ralph places a condition or pre-negotiated a purchase (2) the commissioner and other NFL owners prevent relocation OR (3) the highest bidder chooses to keep the team in Buffalo and overpay in order to do it. I'm hoping and praying one of those 3 scenarios plays out.

It's not really highest bidder that gets an NFL team...it's a bidder that puts forth a "responsibly high" number, that has a high enough net worth, and meets with the long-term vision of other owners.

Just from a logistical standpoint, moving the team is much tougher than keeping it here.

One thing I can definitely say is this: The existing NFL owners and Roger Goodell DO NOT want another "high profile, bad blood, moving vans in the middle of the night" incident. There will be a huuuge uproar if an owner plans on moving a team that has a successful track record as a small market team; the NFL (owners and Commish) don't want that to happen. For their own sentimental reasons, the owners will approve a buyer who is local (with upstate NY ties). They recognize that LA couldn't support an NFL team (Rams, then Raiders, then Rams, then Raiders) so why should they be rewarded with a team originating from a city with a smaller population that has supported the Bills since 1960's (while LA has lost their team three different times). Deep down, the owners who approve the new buyer will have a place in their heart for Wilson (I truly believe that) and will recognize the loyalty of the Bills' fan base. I'm not worried.

It's not really highest bidder that gets an NFL team...it's a bidder that puts forth a "responsibly high" number, that has a high enough net worth, and meets with the long-term vision of other owners.

Just from a logistical standpoint, moving the team is much tougher than keeping it here.

A responsibly high number could be $1.2 - $1.5 BILLION in Los Angeles as the NFL reopens that market -- look at the Dodger sale as a reference point. A prospective owner could EASILY justify that investment. The suite sales in a new stadium in LA would surpass what Dallas and New York did which is probably 10X what Buffalo does today. Be careful in assuming the other NFL owners will "have Buffalo's back" in ANY way shape or form when it comes to this community. If the destiny of the location of this team is on the other owners, I would kiss the Bills goodbye. The NFL's value would be increased by moving the franchise from Buffalo to LA, if the owners out that first and foremost, we are in trouble. Again, in an estate sale, the trustee is looking for the maximum value for the heirs, unless Ralph specified something else, it's their singular focus.

I believe this is what will happen. Bob Kraft, Rooney, Halas' family and the Mara family in NYC will recognize the value and tradition of having a team in Buffalo.

Forbes ranks the Bills as the 30th most valuable NFL franchise. Back when Ralph bought the Bills, Buffalo was a major, thriving city. It's now a second tier metropolis and it's relative strength as a market is declining. Regardless of TV ratings, the franchise would have more value somewhere else.

On the other hand, I'm really hoping Ralph instructed the trust to sell the team to a party willing to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Hopefully we hear that in the next few days.

Some other considerations. The purchase price of the Bills will be maybe $900 million. But anyone considering moving the Bills will have to pay $400 million to break the lease and a maybe $200 million relocation fee to move the team. That brings up the price to 1.5 billion - perhaps a little discouraging to an owner from L.A. who would also have to win a 3/4 vote from the owners just to purchase the team. There are hurdles for an out-of-town buyer if the trust considers that option.

A responsibly high number could be $1.2 - $1.5 BILLION in Los Angeles as the NFL reopens that market -- look at the Dodger sale as a reference point. A prospective owner could EASILY justify that investment. The suite sales in a new stadium in LA would surpass what Dallas and New York did which is probably 10X what Buffalo does today. Be careful in assuming the other NFL owners will "have Buffalo's back" in ANY way shape or form when it comes to this community. If the destiny of the location of this team is on the other owners, I would kiss the Bills goodbye. The NFL's value would be increased by moving the franchise from Buffalo to LA, if the owners out that first and foremost, we are in trouble. Again, in an estate sale, the trustee is looking for the maximum value for the heirs, unless Ralph specified something else, it's their singular focus.

I don't assume anything regarding what NFL owners will ratify or not.

I'm sure you understand, though, that it's not just the bid price for the team...it's about much more than that. The particulars include not just net worth, but:

- Liquid assets

- Debt/income ratio

- History of debt service management

- Ability to pay escape fees

- Ability to pay NFL relocation fees

- etc.

I'm not saying it's rock solid that they won't leave...just that it's a far greater effort to move them (and a questionable ROI) than it is to keep them here.

Forbes ranks the Bills as the 30th most valuable NFL franchise. Back when Ralph bought the Bills, Buffalo was a major, thriving city. It's now a second tier metropolis and it's relative strength as a market is declining. Regardless of TV ratings, the franchise would have more value somewhere else.

On the other hand, I'm really hoping Ralph instructed the trust to sell the team to a party willing to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Hopefully we hear that in the next few days.

Some other considerations. The purchase price of the Bills will be maybe $900 million. But anyone considering moving the Bills will have to pay $400 million to break the lease and a maybe $200 million relocation fee to move the team. That brings up the price to 1.5 billion - perhaps a little discouraging to an owner from L.A. who would also have to win a 3/4 vote from the owners just to purchase the team. There are hurdles for an out-of-town buyer if the trust considers that option.

Forbes also ranks the Bills 22nd in the NFL in pure profit, ahead of other major cities like San Francisco and Atlanta...that's quite relevant IMO.

I don't assume anything regarding what NFL owners will ratify or not.

I'm sure you understand, though, that it's not just the bid price for the team...it's about much more than that. The particulars include not just net worth, but:

- Liquid assets

- Debt/income ratio

- History of debt service management

- Ability to pay escape fees

- Ability to pay NFL relocation fees

- etc.

I'm not saying it's rock solid that they won't leave...just that it's a far greater effort to move them (and a questionable ROI) than it is to keep them here.

Forbes also ranks the Bills 22nd in the NFL in pure profit, ahead of other major cities like San Francisco and Atlanta...that's quite relevant IMO.

To be clear -- in my assumptions, I'm looking at this in 7 years, when the OUT clause in the lease is available without the $400M penalty. I think prior to that, any owner looking to relocate, would "wait it out".

Yeah, the NFL doesn't want the **** storm that would happen if they allow the sale to a group looking to move the team, when there are groups with enough money who want to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Not to mention Ralph voted against all franchise moves.

Just because LA is large doesn't make it a good football city. They're like Miami; fair weather fans at best with too many other distractions. They couldn't keep the Rams or Raiders there, and in another 10 years given demographic changes soccer will be more popular than football, if not already.

Yeah, the NFL doesn't want the **** storm that would happen if they allow the sale to a group looking to move the team, when there are groups with enough money who want to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Not to mention Ralph voted against all franchise moves.

Add to that, if the NFL was all about making money, why give Cleveland another franchise. Surely they could have looked elsewhere that could have made them more money.

It's not all about the money, IMO.

And even if they were, as Bandit pointed out they are ahead of a lot of major teams in terms of pure profit. Add to that they finished 11th in TV markets in the NFL, all of that after having 14 terrible seasons.

22 out of 32 is not very good at all when you consider that the Bills currently carry no debt. Any new owner paying upwards of a billion dollars for the team would probably not be in the same situation.

But like others have said we should have a better idea when the new ownership in known, and we will know when we know.

Were you actually agreeing with me or sarcastically saying I'm a fool for thinking that?? I can't tell.