If EJ were in this draft

Virgil

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on what? What are his intangibles?

It's actually the intangibles that he's missing. He has the tangibles IMO. He looks the part, but it's the subtle things that he has difficulty with. He's also missing one key ingredient that top QB's have...swagger. Because he doesn't have that swagger he doubts himself and he doubts his receivers. If the Bills can figure out how to fix his mechanics & give him a swagger injection we may have something.

EJ has a training camp and 10 or so games of experience ahead of this group which on paper is no better. We are a year ahead of Cleveland, Houston, or whatever team drafts a first round QB. EJ has 16 games, maybe less if he is awful, to prove he can play. I am totally ok with a mid-round QB. As much to push EJ and for the fact that I hate the back-up QB situation.

I'm not sure what in the world you're saying in the first two sentences. You want EJ pushed and you hate our back up QB situation - a mid round rookie is what will cure these ailments for you?

It's actually the intangibles that he's missing. He has the tangibles IMO. He looks the part, but it's the subtle things that he has difficulty with. He's also missing one key ingredient that top QB's have...swagger. Because he doesn't have that swagger he doubts himself and he doubts his receivers. If the Bills can figure out how to fix his mechanics & give him a swagger injection we may have something.

IMO, if he doesn't bring these things to the Pro game -specifically swagger, it really can't be taught. Not at the expense of 3-4 losing seasons anyway.

Well, we know where to find it. It's more of a topical cream than injectible, though: http://thedappersociety.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/20121005-162821.jpg

Blake Bortles reminds me a lot of EJ.

Agreed. Both have prototypical size, but are/were raw prospects that have to learn how to read defenses. EJ is a better runner, Bortles is better at buying time in the pocket. I saw more bad habits with EJ in college than Bortles. He looked like he had lost those early in the season, but they crept back as the season went on. A healthy offseason will go a long way toward showing us what we have in him. This season will be telling. Bortles has a lot to learn and prove, but his upside is high. Every QB in this draft has flaws. EJ would be right in the mix and would be a 1st or 2nd round pick in this year's draft. Last year was a sparse year for QB prospects and that drives up value, but some team would have liked him and taken a shot at getting him somewhere in that range.

If EJ were in this draft, he'd be thought much less of than last year -when he wasn't thought very much of to begin with.

OK.

C'mon, BB, would you have characterized Brady as having "swagger" in year one? Does Manning have "swagger"? He's just good and experienced and confident. I think of "swagger" and I think of some punk kid who thinks he owns the place, regardless of reality.

I respect you guys a lot as posters, but this kind of nebulous catch-all terminology bugs the hell out of me and is terribly reductive, especially when you pinpoint clearer areas for improvement in the same post. His footwork needs work, and he does need to trust his receivers more. I think this mystical quality can just come with more practice. Some guys are put into situations that really work for them and others really need to develop. Rodgers was a guy whose own coach claimed he was a mess before he started really working with him. The point being here that the coach saw the raw tools and saw that the guy was coachable.

We need to see if EJ is coachable - he certainly has the outward appearance of being that kind of player.

He'd be the 4th rated QB at best.

Meaning he'd probably be the first QB available to the Bills. Good one.

Last year, everyone said we should wait for this draft to get a qb. As it gets closer, who still feels the same? There isn't a Luck or Cam in this draft and I feel like we got a top guy of both drafts, but a year early.

I'm not saying EJ is going to be the man, but based off what we know now, I think we made the right move.

Teddy Bridgewater is the only guy I think is interesting, but he isn't a slam dunk either.

Just thoughts

Love this thread!

OK.

C'mon, BB, would you have characterized Brady as having "swagger" in year one? Does Manning have "swagger"? He's just good and experienced and confident. I think of "swagger" and I think of some punk kid who thinks he owns the place, regardless of reality.

I respect you guys a lot as posters, but this kind of nebulous catch-all terminology bugs the hell out of me and is terribly reductive, especially when you pinpoint clearer areas for improvement in the same post. His footwork needs work, and he does need to trust his receivers more. I think this mystical quality can just come with more practice. Some guys are put into situations that really work for them and others really need to develop. Rodgers was a guy whose own coach claimed he was a mess before he started really working with him. The point being here that the coach saw the raw tools and saw that the guy was coachable.

We need to see if EJ is coachable - he certainly has the outward appearance of being that kind of player.

JK had swagger, probably in HS, definitely in college and definitely in the pros.

Marino...swagger

Brady...swagger. And, yes, to step on the field when Bledsoe was injured and take that team to the playoffs he had swagger. We may not have known it but his teammates did.

Montana, Manning, P., Young, S., Farve, Brees, Elway...all overflowing with swagger.

EJ seems like a fine, polite young man. I'm hoping that what I'm calling swagger is something that can be gained through small successes leading to bigger successes etc. (I suppose that another term would be self confidence, maybe overwhelming self confidence)

JK had swagger, probably in HS, definitely in college and definitely in the pros.

Marino...swagger

Brady...swagger. And, yes, to step on the field when Bledsoe was injured and take that team to the playoffs he had swagger. We may not have known it but his teammates did.

Montana, Manning, P., Young, S., Farve, Brees, Elway...all overflowing with swagger.

EJ seems like a fine, polite young man. I'm hoping that what I'm calling swagger is something that can be gained through small successes leading to bigger successes etc. (I suppose that another term would be self confidence, maybe overwhelming self confidence)

You may see a lack of swagger whereas I see a kid who knows he's a little fish in a big pond right now. I'm hoping that having a year in the league he'll be a lot more comfortable and that timidness will go away and he can loosen up and have fun out there.

Marino...swagger

From what I recall is that a young Kelly was so brash, cocky that he rubbed many folks the wrong way. Is that swagger? Kelly went 4-12 his first year with Buffalo, then 6-6, then 12-4 in 88.

Marino was the last QB drafted in 83, and mostly because he had a bad senior season 17 TD's, 23 INT's, and that there were rumors of drug use (smoking pot) Marino didn't start that 83 season, and didn't play until week 6 against Buffalo in which the Dolphins lost in OT. Marino did make the pro bowl as a rookie, and was so unique back then for a QB to emerge as good so quickly. Marino went 7-2, next year SB

Brady looked like a scrawny punk in his combine pic, and he did have some confidence because he went up to owner Robert Kraft in his first training camp and told him that he would be glad that the Patriots drafted him. Brady was another fast starter as in his first full year took his team 11-3. SB

Montana went 0-1 in 79, and went 2-5 in 1980 while subbing for Steve DeBurg. Montana went 13-3 the next year as the Niners won the SB.

Manning went 3-13 his first year.

Steve Young went 1-4 at Tampa, and then 2-12. Then sat on the bench behind Montana for 5 years

Brees went 1-0 his first year, 8-8 his second year, 2-9 his third year.

Favre was drafted by the Falcons in the second round, and then traded to GB. went 8-5 his first game

Elway went 4-6 his first year, and Dan Reeves benched him several times.

The point here is that many super star QB's did't make a big impact their first season, Montana, Young, Elway, Kelly. So let's give EJ another season behind center to see if he develops that "swagger". Although I'm not overly confidant he will succeed considering the current state of the O line, coaching.

From what I recall is that a young Kelly was so brash, cocky that he rubbed many folks the wrong way. Is that swagger? Kelly went 4-12 his first year with Buffalo, then 6-6, then 12-4 in 88.

Marino was the last QB drafted in 83, and mostly because he had a bad senior season 17 TD's, 23 INT's, and that there were rumors of drug use (smoking pot) Marino didn't start that 83 season, and didn't play until week 6 against Buffalo in which the Dolphins lost in OT. Marino did make the pro bowl as a rookie, and was so unique back then for a QB to emerge as good so quickly. Marino went 7-2, next year SB

Brady looked like a scrawny punk in his combine pic, and he did have some confidence because he went up to owner Robert Kraft in his first training camp and told him that he would be glad that the Patriots drafted him. Brady was another fast starter as in his first full year took his team 11-3. SB

Montana went 0-1 in 79, and went 2-5 in 1980 while subbing for Steve DeBurg. Montana went 13-3 the next year as the Niners won the SB.

Manning went 3-13 his first year.

Steve Young went 1-4 at Tampa, and then 2-12. Then sat on the bench behind Montana for 5 years

Brees went 1-0 his first year, 8-8 his second year, 2-9 his third year.

Favre was drafted by the Falcons in the second round, and then traded to GB. went 8-5 his first game

Elway went 4-6 his first year, and Dan Reeves benched him several times.

The point here is that many super star QB's did't make a big impact their first season, Montana, Young, Elway, Kelly. So let's give EJ another season behind center to see if he develops that "swagger". Although I'm not overly confidant he will succeed considering the current state of the O line, coaching.

I don't remember saying anything about their first seasons, but, thanks for providing perspective though none of what you said has anything to do with how those QB's felt about their abilities or their persona. Maybe I'm older than you, but, I can tell you that Montana never doubted his abilities. As someone who lived in Nothern California during the Montana/Young years I can also say the same thing about Young. At the same time you'll never find a more polite person than Young but he was brash, he was sure of himself. I'd say Manning is similar to Young.

I hope EJ can develop that same feeling. Until he trusts himself to make the throws (how many times last season did we see him try to guide the ball?) and trusts his receivers to be where they are supposed to be (if they aren't he'd better give them a piece of his mind) he'll struggle to achieve consistent success.

Marino...swagger

Actually, Brady's teammates have said the opposite; that he really leaned on them in the first few years, but once he had his success, and gained confidence, he stepped up as a leader.

Marino...swagger

Ryan Leaf: swagger. JaMarcus Russel: swagger. You gotta earn it on the field.

I can think of plenty of soft-spoken guys who grew into the role, too.

Ryan Leaf: swagger. JaMarcus Russel: swagger. You gotta earn it on the field.

I can think of plenty of soft-spoken guys who grew into the role, too.

Common RtDB, don't put words in my mouth. I gave you examples on one side of the equation, of course there are those on the opposite side. Put our very own JP Losman in that category.

I don't know if it can be learned, but, I hope it can.