If EJ were in this draft

Virgil

Not so long ago you took a poster to task about perceived insults. You seem to be hurling them about these days. Just something to perhaps consider, ya know? It's ok with me mind you but it is a bit odd.

Alex Marvez said the other day that many feel that if Murray would have entered the 2013 draft, he would have been the first QB selected.

Go ahead, shoot the messenger. :thumbsup:

1) No shots at all. I was being 100% truthful. I respect you as a poster but you just used a bunch of hyperbole to try and make up something I said. I hate when people just make up things. Like I said, if you find post when I said Manul was a lock to be our savior, bet me $1000. Because I never did and you are trying to put words in my mouth.

2) I hate the mindset some fans have now. No patience. Giving up on 22 year olds after one season is dumb. Especially a QB, who got hurt in his first training camp. I really don't get the point of this.

3) Well if Alex Whatever his face says it, it must be true. Also, I've been on record liking Murray. 4th or later, sure roll the dice. But let's not act like he is Brees or something. Bradford missed most of his senior year and still #1. Murray wasn't going #1 last year.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all about drafting Murray in the 4th or beyond. Kid played in the SEC, went toe to toe with the best schools and rarely lost because of his play, and just looks the part. I know he's a little short, but I like him a lot as healthy competition.

I'd even be willing to take him in the 3rd

Me personally, I think it was the owner, as Wilson loves him some RB's. OJ, TT, Henry, McGahee, Lynch, Spiller.

Don't forget that like Nix, Donahoe was saddled with the Bills scouting dept, and Tom Modrak. I know I have these zany conspiracy theories, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that Belicheat / Kraft were bribing Modrak to get it wrong on purpose. Mostly because I just can't fathom a scouting dept missing so badly on so many players for so many years.

Donahoe wasn't saddled with anyone. He hired Modrak. Secondly, Donahoe was the one to convince RW to take the flyer on McGahee.

GO BILLS!!!

1) No shots at all. I was being 100% truthful. I respect you as a poster but you just used a bunch of hyperbole to try and make up something I said. I hate when people just make up things. Like I said, if you find post when I said Manul was a lock to be our savior, bet me $1000. Because I never did and you are trying to put words in my mouth.

2) I hate the mindset some fans have now. No patience. Giving up on 22 year olds after one season is dumb. Especially a QB, who got hurt in his first training camp. I really don't get the point of this.

3) Well if Alex Whatever his face says it, it must be true. Also, I've been on record liking Murray. 4th or later, sure roll the dice. But let's not act like he is Brees or something. Bradford missed most of his senior year and still #1. Murray wasn't going #1 last year.

1) CB, let's back up and be calm. Does this sound like a good idea?

2) You have pointed out that I am older than you. I want to point out to you that times have changed. If you want the Bills to make the playoffs, they will need a good qb. It can be EJ or someone else. You mentioned Bradford. He signed for more than twice as much as Luck. The Bills, if they like a qb at #9, could pay him AND EJ combined about the same (don't hold me to the exact dollar amount) that they paid Donte Whitner in 2006. Consider this if you will.....2006.

3) Different scenarios exist. Please hear me out....EJ could start, he wins some games but gets injured. A kid comes in to replace him and also wins a bunch of games. The Bills would be in a tremendous position in terms of trade value. I mean simply great. Many years ago, before the rule changes, the Bills traded a #9 and if I recall a 4th for Rob Johnson. They had to sign him to a 5 year/25 million dollar contract. That was huge money in those days. Today, a low paid qb is worth his weight in gold.

4) You have accused me of ONLY wanting Alabama players, no? Talk about hyperbole? Who have I touted this year? I DON'T want Mosley at #9. I am not at all high on Kouandjio, and if they take Clinton-Dix at 9 I will be more angry than you can imagine. Keep in mind that I have watched virtually all of their games. You want some good Tide players? I do. Put me down for Kevin Norwood. He catches passes in the end zone. This kid can truly get open. Picture a young SJ. I would also like Vinnie Sunseri in round 5 or later.

5) You ARE more patient than me. No doubt about it. I am not about waiting 4 years for McKelvin at #11 to be good. I am not about waiting at least 2 years for Gilmore not to lose us football games. Guilty as charged. How about you?

6) I enjoy our different opinions. There is no law that I know of that demands that posters have to agree about the direction that the Bills have taken or should take. Keep me informed if there is a specific line that I should toe, OK Bro? ;)

Edited by Bill from NYC

I agree about the McGahee pick but I can fully understand why Donahoe did it, if that makes any sense. Before his injury, McGahee was viewed as a generational RB and a top 3 pick in the draft. He was a legitimate sub 4.3 guy, etc. The hope was that he'd return to form, but he was a shadow of his former self.

GO BILLS!!!

The stupid part of the pick was that we already had Travis Henry who was outstanding (reckless off the field) and we had many needs.

1) CB, let's back up and be calm. Does this sound like a good idea?

2) You have pointed out that I am older than you. I want to point out to you that times have changed. If you want the Bills to make the playoffs, they will need a good qb. It can be EJ or someone else. You mentioned Bradford. He signed for more than twice as much as Luck. The Bills, if they like a qb at #9, could pay him AND EJ combined about the same (don't hold me to the exact dollar amount) that they paid Donte Whitner in 2006. Consider this if you will.....2006.

3) Different scenarios exist. Please hear me out....EJ could start, he wins some games but gets injured. A kid comes in to replace him and also wins a bunch of games. The Bills would be in a tremendous position in terms of trade value. I mean simply great. Many years ago, before the rule changes, the Bills traded a #9 and if I recall a 4th for Rob Johnson. They had to sign him to a 5 year/25 million dollar contract. That was huge money in those days. Today, a low paid qb is worth his weight in gold.

4) You have accused me of ONLY wanting Alabama players, no? Talk about hyperbole? Who have I touted this year? I DON'T want Mosley at #9. I am not at all high on Kouandjio, and if they take Clinton-Dix at 9 I will be more angry than you can imagine. Keep in mind that I have watched virtually all of their games. You want some good Tide players? I do. Put me down for Kevin Norwood. He catches passes in the end zone. This kid can truly get open. Picture a young SJ. I would also like Vinnie Sunseri in round 5 or later.

5) You ARE more patient than me. No doubt about it. I am not about waiting 4 years for McKelvin at #11 to be good. I am not about waiting at least 2 years for Gilmore not to lose us football games. Guilty as charged. How about you?

6) I enjoy our different opinions. There is no law that I know of that demands that posters have to agree about the direction that the Bills have taken or should take. Keep me informed if there is a specific line that I should toe, OK Bro? ;)

Good post Bill and honestly, I've been 100% calm. It's football and we're Bills fans. We both want the same thing. I think we just sometimes have different ways we want it done. But neither way is wrong. :)

1) If the Bills take a defensive back first, I will be angrier than you after the Whitner pick.

2) The general rule of thumb for new players and coaches for me is 3 years. I think you can get a good idea of a player's worth after 2 but you can't be 100% sure. Still, I think we will have a good idea about EJ after this year. If he isn't the guy, by all means, draft a new guy high next year. But to do that this year cheats him and the team (and potentially the next qb).

3) What were your honest expectations of EJ as a rookie? You weren't impressed by the Carolina and 2nd Jets game? Did you expect all sunshine? One of the things I liek about EJ is seems like a geniune and honest kid who is a hard worker. He doesn't deserve time to go into the hardest position in sports?

4) If Gilmore doesn't step up this year, I'd be worried. But he's certainly has flashes and he played with a broken wrist with is a big hinderance. After all, Mel Blount didn't even start his first 2 years. :)

5) You don't think Kouandjio can be a NFL starting caliber OT?

Basically, it's playoffs (or at the absolute worst 8-8 with great signs of progress) or bust. Clean house. But after one year is almost crazy isn't it? What was the Bills record for Jim Kelly's 1st 2 seasons?

>>>>>If the Bills take a defensive back first, I will be angrier than you after the Whitner pick.<<<<<

That would be a reach lol! :) No draft selection has ever bothered me more than Whitner because that draft was just completely stacked at positions of need. That was the worst draft ever imo for that reason, and then they continued on with dbs who sucked. It set us back 5 years or so and I called it that day.

>>>>>You don't think Kouandjio can be a NFL starting caliber OT?<<<<<

Maybe. But he has health issues and remember, he was the 4th best OL on the 2012 Crimson Tide. I will always believe that Coach Saban placed him at LT because he knew that Jones, Warmack and Fluker would be leaving. It was a smart move. Bama was not so great last season. They were a 7-4 team if not for Saban, Kirby Smart, etc.

Fluker was the man on that OL. If he was coming out this season I would be screaming for him. I haven't seen much of Lewan. Have you?

It was classic "getting too cute" Donahoe. Looking to get value where the value is questionable. It's as if they thought "we could end up looking real smart, here!"

Unfortunately, it was in the dawning days of the discovery that very good RBs can come from anywhere. This was a horrific draft, but Dallas Clark, Eric Steinbach, Asomugha, Boldin, Umenyiora, Jason Witten and Lance Briggs were all taken in the next three rounds.

Hell, the Bills would have been better off drafting UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT Tony Romo with their #1 pick.

It was, in hindsight, a move that put Donahoe squarely on the slippery slope right out the door. Not only did they not need a RB, they had a head coach who was in the last year of his contract and needed to win right then and there. The Bills were coming off an 8-8 season, and seemed to have something going with Drew Bledsoe. They had Hall-of-Famer Dick LeBeau and Kevin Gilbride on staff, both of whom would go on to coach on Super Bowl winners elsewhere in the short term. But, Donahoe spent his premium draft capital on a kid who wouldn't play a single down of football for over a year, but who had a headline name. It was a big gamble, got a lot of buzz in the national media, and its legacy was little more than torpedoing his own ship.