Do the recent FA acquisitions change the Bills' draft strategy?

First, Id like to say I think the teams recent free agency signings will improve the teams overall roster talent. I think Whaley and Marrone were able to get players they targeted and would fit the teams positional needs as starters and also in reserve/depth roles. I know people feel like they're being cheap and getting "bottom" tier players but they're really not. These players are talented high ceiling players that fit the physical identity Buffalo wants to establish. Also, what's really being overlooked, is ALL the players signed (beside our own re-signed players) come from a WINNING team. All the players have contributed to their respective teams run to/in the post-season at some point in their career. I understand they aren't big "name" players that everyone wants, but they're competitive players that know what it takes to win and can change the losing culture in Western NY. I still think they make 2 or so proactive signings before they sit and wait for cap casualties/reactive player transactions before the draft. I think DT/DE and DB(some kind of safety).

Now based on what the team has done to this point I still don't see their draft boarding changing much in terms of positional need, except maybe not worrying too much about OG and RB in the mid-late rounds. I do however see the team looking to draft a more traditional DE high in the draft if available. With the new additions showing us Schwartz is going to field a 4-3 I think this is the draft they look for a Super Mario replacement. The players that fit this description won't last till #9 and the ones that will be available aren't worth that spot. I think this draft is the first in a while that Buffalo is solid enough and the draft is deep enough they can draft BPA or possibly...trade up? Again this is just speculation, I'm no expert, but I see the draft playing out like this:

1. WR/DE/S

2.DT/OT/DE/WR

3.TE/DB/DT

4-7. BPA

I know that's clear as mud and I basically put all positions to be draftable in the first 3 rounds but I think you guys get the picture of all the variables. Without a doubt in my mind the first or second pick will be a WR with the other being a DT or DE. As always I took a lot of time trying to write this intelligently and insightfully and feedback is welcome! Go Bills!!!!!

On a side note I tagged Stevie Johnson in this because I support his being a Bill and think he is a core member of the team and is a piece to the puzzle. He's a talented tough player that has gotten better through his mistakes and I truly believe he will bounce back next year. All this trade talk is crazy

P.s. RRREEEBBBEEELLLSSS!!!!!

P.s.s. !@#$ Sdsu

Hairston's health is a key. They gambled last year when they had a lot of holes to fill that they had enough 98.6s to field a decent OLine. If CH is "healthy" to at least suit up for some games, they might be all right with Williams and the other development players they have under contract. If so, that frees them up to get the BPA without regard to position. The same could be said for the D.

It'll be a fun draft. I would like to see them trade down and get another player. Maybe some QB starved franchise will offer to move up if the three top QBs drop like I think they will.

I say we will be heavy on the offensive side of the ball. WR, TE, OT, G in first 4 rounds in some order, then best available afterwards....

The free agency moves would suggest you're right. I certainly hope so. Free agency's design was to stop the run, and gain some depth on the line. Our other glaring problem is creating a passing game. So it makes sense they follow your logic. Think before the last two years, our defense was horrible and our WR were pedestrian. Now fast forward two years later and you see Whaley's plan. It worked finishing with a top 10 defense, and hopefully gaining a franchise QB.

I see us needing two free agency rounds and two drafts to become a real contender. I see us improving this year to possibly 9-7 or if we get a couple of breaks 10-6. It just depends on EJ. Next year though with another two home run drafts, we start beating Brady. I'm excited for the direction of the team and believe we are on the right path. I'm just suspect that we turn it around this year and win the AFC East.

I say we will be heavy on the offensive side of the ball. WR, TE, OT, G in first 4 rounds in some order, then best available afterwards....

I hope the Bills draft BPA rather than reach for players at position of need. The Bills should draft for any position other than RB and starting QB.

By being so active i think moving up has become slightly more likely than moving down. More so we will be looking for specific high quality assets more than a quantity of pretty good.

That could be staying put at 9 and bumping up from 41 or the 3rd rounder but I don't think we try to add too many picks going the other way....

With 6 signings in FA (including chandler) and 7 picks that's already a quarter of the roster and a lot of position groups firmly set (qb stated publicly, RB probably for this year, cb, probably safety unless something crazy happens in the draft or a vet FA is added)

Really I'd only expect LB or DL, and OL, TE or WR to get pieces added even at a depth level. I think they'd rather find 5-6 of the right guys than 8-9 of random bpa.

Edited by NoSaint

I believe Whaley said something like he wants to get the roster to the point where they can be open with who they take in the draft and necessarily draft for need

That's not word for word obviously but I remember reading sonething to that point

I do however think its obvious the draft will be more offensive then defensive though

Agree Beerball, even if they cut Smith and Claussin that would still leave them with four, which is one more than you normally keep. So who's the next one you're going to cut? Gragg, Moeaki? Unless they feel Moeaki is not healthy, I also can't see them taking another one.

Also can't see taking a RT at #9, that's crazy.

So my take is WR, Evens should be there which is good as he's much different than their other WR

I agree with you.I would have no problem with cutting Lee Smith and Matt Caussin.I believe the Bills need a game changing TE, for the first time since I've been a fan(1982).

Bills have signed 3 TE's in the past 10 months. There's no chance they take a 4th in the first round IMO.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I don't think the signings change a thing. Rather the FO decided to sign LBs and a LG, resign K and TE as they planned. Nothing changes. They draft OT or WR depending on who is available at #9. I prefer one of the big three OTs but would be happy with either of the two name WRs. Second round draft they other position. What they planned all along and nothing changes. Hairston's status is a big unknown to us, but likely well understood by the team.

Edited by Your Mom

If Watkins falls to the Bills, I believe they will take him. Otherwise, I think it will be one of the top three OTs or Evans. If there was a top DE available at 9, I think that would have been the pick, but none of the mocks suggest there is a DE worth taking in the top 10 other than Clowney.