Chris Williams signed

Well said. I don't pay attention to guards haha. I just know that he is surrounded by borderline pro bowlers and that should help.

Okay guys, enough.

Some of you have made yourselves quite clear in that the only reason you're posting is to crap on this move and everything the team does...you've made your point, now please move on and let the rest of us that want to have an actual discussion about Chris Williams, the deal, the LG position, etc. do so.

Agreed. People have been crying for them to go after some OL in free agency and when they sign a former first rounder, those same people crap all over the move. For those people nothing the Bills ever do will be good enough.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hefty contract? It is a basic veteran deal.

A veteran who has proven what? I hope this is a situation where he needed a change of scenery and pulls a "Hughes", but I'm not overly confident. Still don't think it's that great of a move.

Not a spectacular signing, but I am hoping this is a first step in the right direction for the Bills during this FA period.

Everyone needs to calm down and be patient, yes I know we've been doing that for the last 14 years, but Whaley did a good job during the offseason last year, and I feel confident that he will do good again.

This move does not appear to be as "aggressive" as we would all like to see, but I'm sure that the Bills have a plan.

Chris Williams may just be a temporary filling, and the Bills could still draft an OG to prepare for the future.

Let's see what our next move is.

The Bills talent evaluators though that Doug Legursky and Colin Brown were good enough at LG last year. Not 100% the same talent evaluators, but pretty close, thought that Cornell Green was good enough at RT a couple years ago.

The Bears' talent evaluators thought that Williams was bad enough to cut him in 2012, even though he was the #14 overall pick a few years prior. The Rams' talent evaluators apparently didn't think Williams was worth the money the Bills signed him for.

My point is getting missed here.....

Did those teams bench Williams in favor of another player on their team?

My point is getting missed here.....

Did those teams bench Williams in favor of another player on their team?

the bears cut him. Way beyond benching

The Bears benched him, then cut him after 2 games as a healthy scratch. So yes. The Rams did not bench him. Nor did the Bills bench Doug Legursky after he took over as the starter last year.

FWIW, ESPN's Bills and Rams bloggers have weighed in on our aggressive signing:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/120269/bills-taking-odd-risk-in-signing-williams

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/120267/losing-williams-offers-chance-to-upgrade

So are you happy with the signing? Or?

I think we overpaid in a desperation move after the run on lineman in the first 8 hours. We needed a LG after letting Levitre go, and not much was left in scrap heap- so I guess we needed to secure Williams. Maybe he can be adequate. And his verasatility is a plus. I am hoping we spend two high picks on oline this draft.

Everyone cried all year about the LG position. Now they find one, sign him, and everyone is crying they wanted someone else. The FO does not use PFF. They have their own analysis, they didn't just find this guy this morning, and their analysis is not done in a vacuum, it is in conjunction with how he will into their scheme and their OL, which is different than the one he came from. They gave him a basic veteran contract. Not sure why the complaints.

perhaps people feel this move is a bit more to the legursky signing, kolb, or even crossman hiring from last year than they think it is a jerry hughes?

many have brought up branch and lawson but both were respected middle of the pack vets. Williams is a guy that has struggled everywhere hes been in the NFL and we gave him the type of deal that indicates he will be a starter for us this year, like lawson.

The Bears benched him, then cut him after 2 games as a healthy scratch. So yes. The Rams did not bench him. Nor did the Bills bench Doug Legursky after he took over as the starter last year.

FWIW, ESPN's Bills and Rams bloggers have weighed in on our aggressive signing:

http://espn.go.com/b...igning-williams

http://espn.go.com/b...ance-to-upgrade

Do you have the Indy bloggers and what they said about Hughes? OR Kiper's write up on the Bills picking Glenn? These writers aren't much better than posters here. Let's not treat them like experts.

A 4 year deal with just over $5M guaranteed is a hefty contract?

I suggest you switch careers and become a professional athlete.

if we gave that deal to, say, colin brown - would you consider that hefty?

context. we gave him a deal that expects him to start and/or play regularly for 2 years. not a huge one, but not a guy that you want sitting on the bench. while we played hardball with a guy like byrd, we likely went higher than anyone else in the league was considering with williams....

he may surprise and work out alright, and ill be thrilled - but theres not a lot to hold onto right now to say he will be average, yet alone good.

Do you have the Indy bloggers and what they said about Hughes? OR Kiper's write up on the Bills picking Glenn? These writers aren't much better than posters here. Let's not treat them like experts.

true. But can you find one positive article written about Williams?

I think we overpaid in a desperation move after the run on lineman in the first 8 hours. We needed a LG after letting Levitre go, and not much was left in scrap heap- so I guess we needed to secure Williams. Maybe he can be adequate. And his verasatility is a plus. I am hoping we spend two high picks on oline this draft.

Please quantify "overpaid" and "desperate."

Can you point to contracts signed in the last 12 months for starting LG's that would indicate we paid too much for this guy? How have you determined he won't be good? There is obviously conflicting data: Polian v. PFF, et al.

I'm sorry, but posters that take a hard line on negativity minutes after a guy is signed lose just all their credibility, IMO.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, especially with this quote from Whaley: "With the signing of Chris Williams, I am particularly excited about the direction our offensive line is moving in because we wanted to address this position and we feel like we filled the need with a very good player."

He's not saying we took a step towards filling the needs, or that we strengthened the position by bringing in competition, he's saying the need has been filled. Lock it down and move on to other positions. I don't like it.

Source: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2014/03/12/doug-whaley-defies-winter-signing-o-lineman-chris-williams/

perhaps people feel this move is a bit more to the legursky signing, kolb, or even crossman hiring from last year than they think it is a jerry hughes?

many have brought up branch and lawson but both were respected middle of the pack vets. Williams is a guy that has struggled everywhere hes been in the NFL and we gave him the type of deal that indicates he will be a starter for us this year, like lawson.

Precisely. Branch was a guy who I had heard positive things about during his time as a starter in Arizona, and all reports on his time in Seattle as a rotational guy were quite positive. Lawson I knew less about before we signed him, but the book on him was a lot more positive than for Chris Williams. The Bills love thinking they're smarter than everyone else, and signing/drafting a guy who isn't highly rated by the consensus. They're usually wrong. Hopefully they're right this time, but I won't believe it till I see it.

i feel like your going pretty "all in" with the "yea but maybe everyone is wrong and he will play in a way he hasnt the last 5 years on two different teams" card. im pretty sure this is one youre not just allowed, but supposed to be at best frustrated with even if you are willing to wait it out.

What am I, your intern? Do your own legwork. You can start by finding a write-up that says that Williams was a good signing. I would love to read one, because all I've seen so far is the opposite.

Everybody (myself included) thought we overpaid for McKelvin, then quality coaching unlocked Leo's first round ability. Our HC is a former OL coach- not the case in St. Louis.

Hughes was considered a bust by the team that drafted him, just like Williams. Then quality coaching unlocked his first round ability as well.

Coach him up, Doug