Whaley confirms Kiko is moving to OLB

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And let me edit what I said: Not everyone ripped the idea of moving Kiko to the outside, but quite a few thought it was blasphemy.

I hear ya on that one.. I thought if they were keeping things relatively the same like they said they were that it was kinda odd.. If the Bills played the same defense as last year, it would be blasphemy.. Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, and Jerry Hughes were OLB in Pettine D. Now all 3 players are DE or hybrid type edge rushers.. i think Manny is likely the nickle LB next to KIKO still... Theoretically Kiko is basically playing like a MLB in the new scheme, they are just calling it OLB.. He is still the ONLY LB that will be on the field for every snap.. Its not like Kiko has a similar skill set to an edge rushing OLB that would play in a more aggressive scheme. I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt that there was a lot of uncertainty regarding the front 7 and who was gonna line up where... No need to freak out about it though, right??

Agreed. The cynic in me thinks that he's very likely to be a training camp cut this summer.

i dont even think its that cynical.... its the problem with changing coordinators annually as we have the last several years. you get guys to fill roles and then roles change. he may or may not be a good fit in the new defense, and by extension may be a poor value.

Edited by NoSaint

is kiko going to be angry about the move? we dont want to make kiko angry. you wont like him when he's angry.

I do remember him being interviewed toward the end of the season or right after the season and he was asked if he had been talked to about moving to OLB.... he said no one had said anything and looked like he wanted to kill the person who asked. He always looks like that though.

Anyone else here kind of think having Poz around still would have been nice. Ho-hum. Oh well.

Yeah he was a loss.

It pales in comparison to losing All Pro's like Peters, Byrd and Lynch but since departing Poz has made 47 of 48 starts, gets turnovers, tackling machine(160 last year), pro bowler in 2013 etc....

His departure was smoothed over by the Barnett signing, but Barnett barely made it a season before he ceased to be useful.

Poz got overpaid by Jax by about $1M-$1.5M per yr but truthfully I think the Bills overpay quite a bit on these lower end contracts like Chris Williams. Would anyone have been surpised to see him sign for $1.25M rather than $3.25? I will give Whaley the benefit of the doubt because I've barely seen the guy play since he was with the Bears but he was released outright a season and a half ago so he was basically on the margins of the NFL.

Until the Bills are winning and can actually draw some attention in free agency they are always going to have to overpay and I think sometimes they forget that with their own players. Just because they are USED to losing doesn't mean they want to lose at a discount or even at fair market value. They seem to understand this better with other teams players than their own(see Mario for prime example).

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Yeah he was a loss.

It pales in comparison to losing All Pro's like Peters, Byrd and Lynch but since departing Poz has made 47 of 48 starts, gets turnovers, tackling machine(160 last year), pro bowler in 2013 etc....

His departure was smoothed over by the Barnett signing, but Barnett barely made it a season before he ceased to be useful.

Poz got overpaid by Jax by about $1M-$1.5M per yr but truthfully I think the Bills overpay quite a bit on these lower end contracts like Chris Williams. Would anyone have been surpised to see him sign for $1.25M rather than $3.25? I will give Whaley the benefit of the doubt because I've barely seen the guy play since he was with the Bears but he was released outright a season and a half ago so he was basically on the margins of the NFL.

Until the Bills are winning and can actually draw some attention in free agency they are always going to have to overpay and I think sometimes they forget that with their own players. Just because they are USED to losing doesn't mean they want to lose at a discount or even at fair market value. They seem to understand this better with other teams players than their own(see Mario for prime example).

If the Bills had resigned Puz, Mario probably isn't on the roster and I'm taking Mario all day long. Puz was ok, and I know he makes some plays here and there but I just dont see him as a "difference maker" for some reason. I dunno its hard to explain. I want a Patrick Willis type angry monster in the middle and he just doesn't seem to be that.

When Kiko Alonso is on the field, he is both OLB's and MLB

#TheLegendOfKikoAlonso

CBF

Kiko doesn't tackle people. People run into him and fall to their knees, begging for forgiveness

Kiko doesn't intercept pass. The ball is afraid to go to its intended receiver because Kiko will mash it

Chuck Cecil looked at Kiko and said "Damn, son. . .you make me look like a powderpuff."