Byrd is a Saint

Could be, but didn't Fjax have a bum knee??? Also, when I need 1 yard for the first down, Im taking #22 over Spiller any day!

For sure, but we got them both so I don't know why people need to compare them. FJax is the better short yardage guy and blocker. Spiller is one of hte most explosive players in the NFL. Both are very good rbs.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sure, but we got them both so I don't know why people need to compare them. FJax is the better short yardage guy and blocker. Spiller is one of hte most explosive players in the NFL. Both are very good rbs.

Agree. When SPiller finally finds that hole with consistency, he will be a weapon. The only thing that upset me last year was when the Jets said they would ram Spiller and they did. Why would the coaching not try to change the game plan. Also, when Spiller ran OB in the first half to stop the clock and give the ball back, I could have killed him!

Agree. When SPiller finally finds that hole with consistency, he will be a weapon. The only thing that upset me last year was when the Jets said they would ram Spiller and they did. Why would the coaching not try to change the game plan. Also, when Spiller ran OB in the first half to stop the clock and give the ball back, I could have killed him!

My biggest problem with Hackett (don't think he was nearly as bad as he is made out to be) was his use of Spiller. I hope he watches film of 2012 and Spiller will be 100% this year,

Unless you are a total homer, you can not see this as anything but total ineptitude on the Bills part. Anyone with a brain knew he was going to get paid top dollar. Nix decided two years ago he wasn't going to pay Byrd when he drafted those two safeties. And now his little disciple let the plan play out.

If you are standing behind the Bills you are choosing Buddy Nix's judgment over Sean Payton's and Mickey Loomis'? I will trust the guys that have actually won in this league.

Total bush league. Bills simply can not compete.

or byrd didnt want to play here.

First of all, I absolutely franchise Byrd. For a NUMBER of reasons. That is my first preference, even over a long term deal. Worrying about whether Byrd will be happy is not for me. Winning usually turns out to be a nice alternative to being happy.....ask every NE Patriot who got the shaft during their 14 year reign in the AFC East. Winning earns even the most cutthroat of franchises their players respect. Perhaps that's f'd up but it's true. The Bills are far from as cold and insensitive as the Pats have been so I don't see any issue in enforcing a collectively bargained right and paying that guy $8.5M. None whatsoever.

But yes, I also pay Byrd if an agreement can be reached. When an organization is entrenched in losing like the Bills are it usually takes a roster of overwhelming strength to turn that tide. SF and Seattle are good examples.......they didn't turn themselves around until they were LOADED with talent. And then....voila....a year after being afterthoughts people were raving about the unsurpassed quality and depth of their rosters. You don't get that by letting your star players go before you get there.

Once you win, it becomes easier to win with less talent. Dareus and Glenn could still be extended. The Bills have tremendous cap flexibility. They have lots of cap room and the only big contract they have is Mario....whose contract is very re-structurable in the event that winning becomes part of the Bills program in the next year or two. And even then......it's unlikely they would need it. They are by no means in any cap danger anytime soon. After Glenn and Dareus the next big contract would be Glimore and he is still in prospect mode with 3 years left on his rookie deal. No need to save space for CJ Spiller either, he is not going to be a huge future contract...he will be 28 after his deal is up and the production isn't there.

So, if we sign Byrd, don't win, and lose Dareus and co. who gets blamed?

Byrd's good. If we were capable of making a run, we should have signed him. We aren't. Throwing money around when we don't have a QB that has played a full season in the NFL is foolhardy. You build up some cornerstones, hope to hit a QB, then spend to shore up everything else.

People wonder how the Saints/Broncos can afford these signings. They can't. They have pieces "walking for nothing." They don't care about 3 years from now. Rebuilding is in their future, but they think they can win now. The Bills don't, they don't want to "blow it up" in 2 years by putting all their eggs in the Marrone/EJ basket.

Byrd's good. If we were capable of making a run, we should have signed him. We aren't. Throwing money around when we don't have a QB that has played a full season in the NFL is foolhardy. You build up some cornerstones, hope to hit a QB, then spend to shore up everything else.

People wonder how the Saints/Broncos can afford these signings. They can't. They have pieces "walking for nothing." They don't care about 3 years from now. Rebuilding is in their future, but they think they can win now. The Bills don't, they don't want to "blow it up" in 2 years by putting all their eggs in the Marrone/EJ basket.

How are you leaping from "sign Byrd" to "lose Dareus"? The Bills don't have a QB to pay, and the cap is expected to jump a lot in the next couple of years - quite possibly to $160 million in 2016.

I don't understand why people continue to think that the Bills have to be concerned with the cap. They don't. Also, simply look at the Broncos. Where there's a will to win, there are ways to pay top talent. And as far as I can tell, the Saints are simply getting of guys entering the downward trajectory of their careers.

Edited by dave mcbride

There is no future in the NFL. There is only the now. And in the spectacular now, the Bills have failed the same way over and over again. You cannot build a winning team by letting your best assets (as valued by the market, not by fans) leave without getting any compensation in return. It just cannot happen as much as it happens in Buffalo and have it be viewed any other way than their way of doing business.

And it's bad business. Bad for the team, bad for the fans, bad for the locker room, bad for your PR.

The Bills lost a top starter, and 2nd round pick last off season in LG Andy Levitre, and got nothing in return. Then tried to replace him with utter garbage in two horrible backup players not even worthy to even be backups.

This year they lost a very young 3x pro bowl safety to a perennial playoff team, and will probably get little in return. I gotta wonder how long it will take to find another pro bowl safety?

Nothing changes...

And if we find another pro bowl safety, how long before we have to let him go because, well he's a pro-bowl safety?

I understand this is a business but it seems like the Bills have a very hard time holding on to pro bowl caliber players for any length of time. How do you build a winning team if you can't afford to hold onto your top talent? To dream that we can do it if we perpetually draft really well is just that, a dream - because we have proven over the last 15 years that it just can't be done.

How are you leaping from "sign Byrd" to "lose Dareus"? The Bills don't have a QB to pay, and the cap is expected to jump a lot in the next couple of years - quite possibly to $160 million in 2016.

I don't understand why people continue to think that the Bills have to be concerned with the cap. They don't. Also, simply look at the Broncos. Where there's a will to win, there are ways to pay top talent. And as far as I can tell, the Saints are simply getting of guys entering the downward trajectory of their careers.

The post I responded to said if we sign Byrd and win, we won't have trouble keeping guys like Dareus. That's why I made that leap. We have no idea how the Bills would spend their money if we tagged Byrd besides knowing we won't sign another FS.

I am looking at the Broncos. And everyone who pays attention will realise they will blow up their team when Manning retires. FA's will flock elsewhere, and they'll lose homegrown talent. They are resigning themselves to a future total-rebuild in order to make a run at the SB now. The difference is, why would the Bills go "all-in" in terms of the next 4 years when we might have a new QB and HC next year? Why would we go all in without a franchise QB? Why would we go all in without being able to sniff the playoffs?

Want an example of how it backfires? Look at the NY Isles. Different sport, same concept. Went all in to get Vanek to make a run this year. JT got hurt, team is in a rut, and now they look like idiots for trading Moulson.

Edited by FireChan