Bills Free Agents Updates

That's honestly not that much. You figure 5-6 will be spent towards the rookies, plus every team generally carry a couple million buffer just in case.

I'd say that only leaves us with 5 million to play with...a number which will likely mean one more free agent at best.

Well, considering the Saints just dropped $10 million on Byrd with supposedly very little cap room, I guess $15 million must be a fortune to spend. If your capologist is doing their job, any signing is possible. It just depends on the way your structure the contracts.

That said, I can't remember the last time the Bills had to worry about fitting under the cap, so all this is a moot point.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, considering the Saints just dropped $10 million on Byrd with supposedly very little cap room, I guess $15 million must be a fortune to spend. If your capologist is doing their job, any signing is possible. It just depends on the way your structure the contracts.

That said, I can't remember the last time the Bills had to worry about fitting under the cap, so all this is a moot point.

The Tom Donahoe era or was it post Donahoe era?

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

If we only have about $10 million to work with outside of rookies, that sounds like we're probably done this year in terms of FAs. If anything, we might get another guy on the level of the FAs we signed already (not impressive according to 'experts'). Oh well. Hopefully the draft works well for us. :)

That's honestly not that much. You figure 5-6 will be spent towards the rookies, plus every team generally carry a couple million buffer just in case.

I'd say that only leaves us with 5 million to play with...a number which will likely mean one more free agent at best.

thats A TON.

If we only have about $10 million to work with outside of rookies, that sounds like we're probably done this year in terms of FAs. If anything, we might get another guy on the level of the FAs we signed already (not impressive according to 'experts'). Oh well. Hopefully the draft works well for us. :)

They may still be looking at Inside LB candidates and I would expect some activity after June 1 for competition/depth as well, but any "big name" signings are not, and never were, in the cards. Hopefully they can find a diamond in the rough along the way similar to how Branch and Lawson worked out. (and hopefully the draft goes well!) None of this matters anyway unless EJ turns the corner.

They may still be looking at Inside LB candidates and I would expect some activity after June 1 for competition/depth as well, but any "big name" signings are not, and never were, in the cards. Hopefully they can find a diamond in the rough along the way similar to how Branch and Lawson worked out. (and hopefully the draft goes well!) None of this matters anyway unless EJ turns the corner.

Exactly. Which is why I'd feel a lot better if they were doing some more things to help with that.

Sorry...But that's ridiculous...According to CBS.com, Pro Football Focus had Rivers ranked 18th among all OLB's last season...

He's certainly not the player he was projected to be when he was Drafted...But he's had an injury plagued career...When he's been healthy he's been an effective, albeit unspectacular, 2-down OLB who is strong vs the run...

Ed Valentine from BigBlueView on Rivers..."Rivers had a quiet, but pretty effective season. He played 16 games for the first time in his injury-riddled six-year career."

Rivers is not doing anything flashy out there...He's holding the edge and playing the run on base downs...Something the Bills have had BIG problems with from their LB's...He's not a bad football player at all...

He is a role playing run stopper...the type of dude that does stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet like hold up blockers and force RBs to cut back into the other players on defense. He is gonna be on the field for 2 downs and off the field in the nickel. He is a missing part of our defensive puzzle and is the type of player needed by this team to fill a role...we have plenty of standouts on defense, we need this type of lunch bucket dude...

We have him in there to help free up Kiko to chase and have Williams at LG who is capable and athletic which is all you need between Wood and Glenn, just not someone who is a tire fire...

Graham is a very good signing, great nickel, backup boundary CB and exceptional special steamer...extremely durable as well

Edited by matter2003

Only the first 3 rounds will likely add to our cap number. This is due to the cap being calculated on the top 51 contracts......with our lowest contracts atm being $0.5m. The 3rd round pick will probably be paid $0.7m costing only $0.2m cap dollars. I figure our rookie cap hit will be around $3.5m.

Considering that we are carrying $12.5m in dead money this season.......and at this point we have zero dead money due next season.......we could very well spend another $10m in FA(if we want to). Certainly a $6m-$7m FA would be easily accommodated under this years cap(and next years cap too).

Only the first 3 rounds will likely add to our cap number. This is due to the cap being calculated on the top 51 contracts......with our lowest contracts atm being $0.5m. The 3rd round pick will probably be paid $0.7m costing only $0.2m cap dollars. I figure our rookie cap hit will be around $3.5m.

Considering that we are carrying $12.5m in dead money this season.......and at this point we have zero dead money due next season.......we could very well spend another $10m in FA(if we want to). Certainly a $6m-$7m FA would be easily accommodated under this years cap(and next years cap too).

Don't forget they are likely looking at Dareus and Spiller contracts coming up for extension also...long range planning prevents Cowboy/Redskin messes every year

Don't forget they are likely looking at Dareus and Spiller contracts coming up for extension also...long range planning prevents Cowboy/Redskin messes every year

A good thing about Dareus & Spiller is that they already command large salaries($6.5m & $5.9m respectively). To factor them into future caps, one might only be looking at an additional $5m-$6m cap dollars(give or take depending on their performances this year etc).

My main concern will be Glenn. Though his deal will be a year later, I tend to think he will require the most money......and more importantly will likely require a cap increase hit of around $10m.

I still think Pears gets released that would add another 3 million and I would Trade SJ#13 and save 7.5 million. Draft Evans and sign Pettigrew, spikes and Nicks with the additional 10.5 you just saved. Look to fill RT in 2nd round or late cut.

Trading SJ wouldn't save that much(compared to simply cutting him).

Assuming that he hasn't already been paid his $1.75m 2014 roster bonus.......he would save us $6.8m on this cap, but would incur a $3.4m hit on next years cap. Considering the new(ish) rollover rules, this would mean that we would only save $3.4m(or only $1.65m if we have paid him the 2014 roster bonus).

He is a role playing run stopper...the type of dude that does stuff that doesn't show up on the stat sheet like hold up blockers and force RBs to cut back into the other players on defense. He is gonna be on the field for 2 downs and off the field in the nickel. He is a missing part of our defensive puzzle and is the type of player needed by this team to fill a role...we have plenty of standouts on defense, we need this type of lunch bucket dude...

We have him in there to help free up Kiko to chase and have Williams at LG who is capable and athletic which is all you need between Wood and Glenn, just not someone who is a tire fire...

Graham is a very good signing, great nickel, backup boundary CB and exceptional special steamer...extremely durable as well

Do we really need to get this in depth?

some of their worst "cap hell disasters" amount to them having dead money that forces them to spend on par with what we do most years by choice. we can extend dareus and still add a premiere vet and still be in better shape than a lot of teams with regards to dollars.

A good thing about Dareus & Spiller is that they already command large salaries($6.5m & $5.9m respectively). To factor them into future caps, one might only be looking at an additional $5m-$6m cap dollars(give or take depending on their performances this year etc).

My main concern will be Glenn. Though his deal will be a year later, I tend to think he will require the most money......and more importantly will likely require a cap increase hit of around $10m.

though the cap itself is projected to increase that much by the time, plus as you mention we have dead money coming off the books. we could reasonably take care of all 3 without terribly changing our cap situation from what it was the last few years, which is to say it was far from squeezing anything.