whats wrong with Thad Lewis?

Why do we do this to ourselves as fans year after year? Thad Lewis did nothing special in college and nothing special with his opportunities to start while EJ was injured. It is absolutely irrelevant that EJ performed about the same as a starter, as he was drafted to BE the starter. When all is said and done, EJ absolutely should be the starter for at least the next 2 years. If he doesn't show improvement this year, then the third year will certainly be the hot seat for him. So the OP asks the question of "what's wrong with Thad Lewis"? The question really needs to be qualified to deserve a proper answer. As a backup (which is what he is), there's nothing wrong with him. Similar playing style and demonstrated ability (so far) to EJ IMO makes him a quality backup. As a starter, I have no interest in him what so ever. At some point, we as fans have to let our team endure the growing pains instead of simply wanting to move on. That is absolutely the only way this team will actually get better.

I don't think anyone is advocating Lewis as a starter... I do agree that fans have become a bit too impatient. I think, as a collective, with our team enjoying so little success (okay, no success) in the last 15 years, we have lost the ability to keep the problems of the current team in perspective, because we pile all our frustrations accumulated over 15 years, on the guys currently wearing the uniform, or working in the front office.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a fresh idea. Players start out as a novice. Many progress to mediocre. Even fewer progress to above average and so on. As with anything in life people improve as long as their work ethic and ability permit. EJ and Thad have both shown ability at a mediocre level. Who is to say their hard work and ability won't take them to above average and further? The Bills can either harness this progress or draft a QB and "hope" a guy is miraculously above average. i.e. Russell Wilson

The same goes for other positions. Why shop free agency for players who have reached their peak when you can work with the progressing talent that you have?

The Bills will not be signing any FA QB's or drafting any in my opinion.

Edited by eme123

Thad is okay as a backup, but if I had my druthers for who would be the Vet to be the back-up, it would be Chad Henne. Dude got off to a rough start in Miami, Drafted by Bill Parcells, but that woeful Jags team had a much improved passing Offense when Chad was in the QB position and he's exactly the type of QB I think Buffalo could benefit from...he played at Michigan and demonstrated some real potential but got mixed into that mess in Miami and then went to Jags who are a train wreck at this point....I like Chad to be a guy that if EJ were to go down on injury, could truly keep this team going toward a winning season, which is what I want...I'm sick of seeing injuries keep this team watching the playoffs instead of playing in them....

Wow, terrible judges of NFL talent here.

UM, HE FUMBLED 7 TIMES, in 6 GAMES, if he had the same snaps as Stafford, who led the league with 12 fumbles, THAD LEWIS WOULD HAVE HAD LIKE 22 FUMBLES!!!!

Or he wouldn't have.

We don't know because.......

he only played 6 games

UM, HE FUMBLED 7 TIMES, in 6 GAMES, if he had the same snaps as Stafford, who led the league with 12 fumbles, THAD LEWIS WOULD HAVE HAD LIKE 22 FUMBLES!!!!

yup. and he wasnt an out of this world QB either. he was a backup, and as far as they go we could do worse and we might be able to do better.

I like Thad as a back up. He doesnt play scared, hes athletic with a decent arm. I agree he puts the ball on the ground to much for my liking but that is a issue they can fix.

How long has he been in the league and how long does it take to "fix" it?

UM, KIKO ALONSO HAD 4 INTERCEPTIONS in 4 GAMES! Just imagine how many he'd have if he played 16! Oh wait, he had 0 in the last 12 games.

Is 7 fumbles bad? Yup.

A cause for concern? Yup.

Would he be amongst the worst? Likely. HE's a BACKUP level player. Is anyone arguing this?

yup. and he wasnt an out of this world QB either. he was a backup, and as far as they go we could do worse and we might be able to do better.

Nailed it.

Name another NFL team that would be content with him as their backup? Cricket Cricket

totally content and not even glancing at other options? probably not too many. rosters that he could make? very many.

backup qbs are rarely all that great, and hes not all that bad. all backup qbs have big ugly weaknesses. find one that despite those fits your scheme and locker room, and you are doing ok.

IMO :wallbash:

Are we really going to discuss Thad? How many decent backups became great QB? There are 60 backups in the league.. How many of those become great? During the last 40 years how many backups are now selling insurance or coaching HS football compared to how many backups became great? I bet we are talking 1000 to 1 ratio. Remember the trickshot QB a year or so ago... where is he now? How about the 300lbs Giants backup? Fat guy... Stuff-his-face Russel from the Raiders should have been a backup. :thumbdown:

Frank Reich was a great back up... one of the greatest of all time. When he left the Bills... can anyone remember his career as a full time starter? The past 14 years we have had backups as starters (except Bledsoe... but he was slipping). I don't want to worry about backups because our starter is great.

Thad is fine... but we can find another Thad. Who cares.... I want a super star starter... fat guy Russel or mental Vince Young can carry the clip board. I need a beer :beer:

I am in a rant mood (humorous one) now... Bring in Flutie, Billy Joe Gun Rack (he did have a cannon arm), Rob Johnson could work for a game or two, Trent Edwards would be ok for a game, heck I would even take Blaine Gabbert, Chad Pennginton, Ryan Leaf could manage a single game... :death:

My point is when the starter goes down for more than a game your screwed anyway. Thad Lewis is just fine.

Hmmm. Can you name the last six or seven 3rd string QBs the Bills have had? How about the last 10 second string guys? I dont think I could without looking on-line.

My point is when the starter goes down for more than a game your screwed anyway. Thad Lewis is just fine.

I don't think so. Were the Giants screwed when Sims got injured and Hostettler had to come in? The Rams when Trent Green got injured and Kurt Warner had to come in? The Colts when Johny Unitas got injured and Earl Morel had to come in? The Fish when Bob Griese got injured and Earl Morel had to come in? The 49ers when Alex Smith got injured and Colin Kaepernick had to come in?

And the Patsies when Bledsoe got injured ...

You gotta have a good backup. HOF Joe Gibbs said the two most important position on the team are the QB and the backup QB.

All that being said, Thaddeus is a decent backup. If we do replace him as #2, I hope it's with a decent vet (but not Vick) and not ANOTHER rookie.