Are the Quarterbacks going to start dropping?

Or we could just take one

Don't understand how a team who had some of the worst QB play in the league last year could not be at least thinking of taking one of the top 3 QB's if they drop

Agree ! I would grab Bortles in a heartbeat if he is there!!

Edited by BigdaddyinOrlando

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me personally, if I'm Houston and I have the #1 pick, I don't expect to be picking there again any time soon. My goal, in that case, is to get a once-in-a-generation-type player.

If the level of talent in the draft is like last year, where it's just generally lower, then I find it easier to take a QB #1 overall, because--as you correctly stated--it is always the #1 priority.

In a year like this one, I would struggle to do that, given that there are 4 players (Clowney, Robinson, Mack, and Watkins) that IMO fit the once-in-a-generation label, and none of them are QBs.

While I have no idea if Rick Smith and Bill O'Brien will agree with my thought process, I can only say that my opinion--were I in their shoes--would be to draft a guy like Clowney/Robinson/Mack, thinking that in a worst-case scenario I can draft a guy like Garropolo in the 2nd/3rd round, and--if it doesn't work out--I can go after my franchise guy next year.

I agree with your general point, but I think that you are being too generous calling Robinson, Mack and Watkins "once in a generation". Just two years ago, Andrew Luck came out and I'd say he was at least on level above these guys. No doubt that Robinson, Mack and Watkins are very good prospects - a level above others in this draft, but I don't think that they are clearly above other prospects in the last decade.

I think Bridgewater and Bortles are mortal locks for the top 10...

I think Manziel is close to a lock, but I could see him slide a bit depending on how things go in the top 7...

I still feel Bortles goes #1, Bridgewater #3, and Manziel #4...I just can't possibly see those Franchises passing on the opportunity to take a QB...Especially in this Draft when your 2nd Round pick will likely land you a prospect that would have been a mid-later 1st round pick in most Drafts...To me it's a no-brainer to take the chance on the QB high...Especially when it's a big need... B-)

It's possible Bridgewater went down somewhat after his pro day, and Manziel may have gone up. I do see at least two maybe 3 going in the top 8. Some of these teams are near desperate for a QB. God I wish we could get Clowney, but it will never happen at 9. With him, that defense would have been punishing, especially with the upgrade at ILB in Spikes, and Graham could end up as a great free safety.

Or we could just take one

Don't understand how a team who had some of the worst QB play in the league last year could not be at least thinking of taking one of the top 3 QB's if they drop

I've made my thoughts on the QB position well known. In this case I'm curious about the statement that Dorkington made.

• 2 weeks later...

John Kennedy@About2jump 2m

His stock is dropping faster than the #DowJones..."@ProFootballTalk: Bridgewater struggling in private workouts http://wp.me/p14QSB-9stA "

Colin Cowherd@ESPN_Colin 55m

Teddy Bridgewater, physically slight to begin with, weaker competition in coll, struggling at pro days, now a low Wunderlic score. No thx.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Bridgewater is in for a Geno-esque wait. The only way I see him going in the first round if he slides out of the top 8 is if the Cardinals think he could be their guy longer term.... but if they are thinking they can compete now in that division then surely they go with an immediate starter, rather than a QB who might sit for a year or two??

I think Bridgewater is in for a Geno-esque wait. The only way I see him going in the first round if he slides out of the top 8 is if the Cardinals think he could be their guy longer term.... but if they are thinking they can compete now in that division then surely they go with an immediate starter, rather than a QB who might sit for a year or two??

I'd take Geno over Bridgewater. At least Geno has an NFL arm. Can't understand how anyone has Bridgewater rated ahead of Carr. Carr is a better athlete and has an elite NFL arm. Guy throws lasers all over the field. He stands in the pocket and takes hits. His team won at a high level. He's

It's possible Bridgewater went down somewhat after his pro day, and Manziel may have gone up. I do see at least two maybe 3 going in the top 8. Some of these teams are near desperate for a QB. God I wish we could get Clowney, but it will never happen at 9. With him, that defense would have been punishing, especially with the upgrade at ILB in Spikes, and Graham could end up as a great free safety.

It's interesting because Charlie Casserly was literally going off on NFL Network yesterday about how scouts and GM's base their picks almost entirely on the tape, and almost none on workouts...He did say with QB's it's a little different because you want to see the velocity of the ball and how it comes out of their hands close up...But still he said the tape is by far the main thing scouts go off...If that is true than Bridgewater could not lose too much steam because he's got the best tape...Especially as a pocket-passer...But I do think Manziel has moved ahead of Bridgewater with some teams...And I still think Houston takes either Manziel or Bortles at #1 overall...But we'll see...Charles Davis said at least a few teams are talking about Carr in the top 10...So the more it changes the more it stays the same... :lol:

Bridgewater is falling like no prospect I have seen. He was discussed recently of being the #1 overall pick. Now I am guessing he slid out of first round. Johnny footbal and Bortles will go top 10. Carr leapfrogs Bridgewater and gets overdrafted somewhere. QBs sliding is no good for Buffalo. That means more good players get drafted before 9

The MMQB: The Draft Games Begin

5. A few teams with quarterback needs have an interesting strategy. I’ve heard that at least four quarterback-needy teams—Houston (first pick), Jacksonville (3), Cleveland (4) and Oakland (5)—are strongly considering passing on quarterbacks with their first picks and waiting until their second or third selections. Simple reason: They’re not in love with any of the quarterbacks, and there are too many other good players who are surer things than a quarterback you have sincere doubts about. For that reason, there could be more quarterbacks taken in round two than round one. For instance, Jacksonville really likes Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois, and he’d likely be there high in the second round when the Jags pick again, at 39.

If Houston takes a Quarterback #1 overall I think maybe 3 still go top 10. If they pass then other teams might do the same. I'm thinking now 2 QBs in top 8.

The Bills need teams ahead of the to take QBs so we can get a one of the top players at OT/TE/WR.

Jax has to take Johnny football if he's there at 3…big risk/reward…but that franchise needs SOMETHING to restore relevancy and this is an entertainment business. Horrid uniform changes notwithstanding.

The payoff impact if Johnny Manziel makes it could be measured in billions of dollars. It could be argued that he is already a bigger brand than the Bills themselves. The Bills really need that just as much as the Jags but offseason perspective has never been a strength of the Bills and their fans. Jadeveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins seem like transcendent talents but the reality is that even if they become HOF's they will have minimal impact on a franchise. If the QB play isn't there, the chances of them going 4 and out is pretty high. The Bills have shown an inability to keep All Pro talent so smart money is on that happening. And when they are long retired they will be doing color commentary on QB's drafted at the same time or in earlier years than them, the same way that LaDanian Tomlinson does with Drew Brees still going strong. It's a no-brainer decision from a business aspect and frankly if you can't find the Kiko's in rounds 2-7 you won't win even if you nail your first round picks anyway.

The payoff impact if Johnny Manziel makes it could be measured in billions of dollars. It could be argued that he is already a bigger brand than the Bills themselves. The Bills really need that just as much as the Jags but offseason perspective has never been a strength of the Bills and their fans. Jadeveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins seem like transcendent talents but the reality is that even if they become HOF's they will have minimal impact on a franchise. If the QB play isn't there, the chances of them going 4 and out is pretty high. The Bills have shown an inability to keep All Pro talent so smart money is on that happening. And when they are long retired they will be doing color commentary on QB's drafted at the same time or in earlier years than them, the same way that LaDanian Tomlinson does with Drew Brees still going strong. It's a no-brainer decision from a business aspect and frankly if you can't find the Kiko's in rounds 2-7 you won't win even if you nail your first round picks anyway.

QB play and the ability of Clowney/Watkins to play in the NFL over the long haul are entirely unrelated.

And if your second comment is true, why bother taking Manziel since we'll let him go if he develops into anything anyway?

Lastly, your final sentence completely contradicts the idea you present at the beginning of your post.

I guess I'm just having trouble following you here...what point, exactly, are you making?