Khalil Mack: Take or Trade Down

BigBuff423

Khalil Mack has been the center-piece of many fans swoon during this Off-Season and the NFL Combine only elevated his stock with Mike Mayock saying that if he had the 1st Overall pick, he would Draft Mack. However, a couple of recent mock drafts have Mack falling to Buffalo at #9, which would make some of us extremely delighted if by some stretch of cosmic justice that were to happen. However, in my humble opinion Mack is BEST suited for an OLB spot in a 3-4 based on athelticism, speed, instincts, and size. This got me thinking, what if at #9 Mack was indeed still available, given the state of the BILLS - do you think it would behoove Buffalo best to run to the podium and hit the Mack button or if suitors come calling and willing to add in seriously valuable Draft picks, however you may define them, do you trade back and allow Mack to stack the Draft picks for Buffalo??

I'm in quite a quandry about this one...I would LOVE to see Mack in a BILLS uniform, despite what I said above about his best fit as an OLB in a 3-4, because his strength, size, and instincts would prove to be a huge advantage to an emerging Defense in the NFL. However, unless the BILLS break the bank (which we know they won't do) there are still quite a few positions that could use some serious upgrage in talent, i.e. RT, TE, LB (of course), outside WR, and LG just to mention a few. Getting some quality Draft picks, not 4th to 7th rounders alone will do it, would help the youth movement and gain real talent in a year when the Draft is its richest in quite some time. Food for thought and something that apparently some Draft-niks believe is not only possible, but probable....interested in this board's state of mind.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe as well, but apparently some of the Draft guys think QB trumps all, and then add in Clowney and Watkins and Robinson, and somehow Mack makes it Buffalo...I don't think he survives past the first 5, but their Mocks got me thinking about what was best for the team, long-term....tough decision depending on what a team is offering...if I didn't make it clear in my thread post, let me say, LOVE Mack as a LBer for the BILLS!!

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe as well, but apparently some of the Draft guys think QB trumps all, and then add in Clowney and Watkins and Robinson, and somehow Mack makes it Buffalo...I don't think he survives past the first 5, but their Mocks got me thinking about what was best for the team, long-term....tough decision depending on what a team is offering...if I didn't make it clear in my thread post, let me say, LOVE Mack as a LBer for the BILLS!!

Agreed, the hunger for over-hyped QBs is gonna make some great player fall a bit.

I'm not sure I buy the hype, though. I can see several of these teams taking BPA instead of the QBs available, such is the disparity in football talent.

GO BILLS!!!

No brainer. If he's there, you take him. Screw need (although he fills one), you simply can't go wrong taking BPA.

He won't be there though, so don't worry.

GO BILLS!!!

Some mocks have him gone at 8 others sooner. Things will change between pro days and free agent signings. I wouldnt rule Mack not bein there at 9.

Agreed, the hunger for over-hyped QBs is gonna make some great player fall a bit.

I'm not sure I buy the hype, though. I can see several of these teams taking BPA instead of the QBs available, such is the disparity in football talent.

GO BILLS!!!

I think this draft will shock a lot of people and really go against the grain, more so then last year, in what occurs. I could easily see no team taking a QB below 10-12. Or later. And maybe only 1 in the first round. The talent is overall high with only an exceptional few outliers.

If he were to fall to #9, I would take Mack in a heartbeat. It's not even a question that he will be a productive NFL player..it's just a matter if he will be "great"? or very good?

In some ridiculous logic, I kinda' hope he gets drafted before the Bills pick. That way there's no chance of the Bills passing on Mack (which would impact my fandom of the Bills organization very negatively).

So to play the what if game some more, what if both Mack, Watkins, and Evens are all there at #9? Which one do you take?

Watkins has been labeled the best WR, but Evens has the freakish size that our other WR's all lack. Mack to me does have a bit of question as to how his game projects to the NFL so d oyou go wit hthe WR, then which one, the guy who everyone says is the best, or the big WR??

So to play the what if game some more, what if both Mack, Watkins, and Evens are all there at #9? Which one do you take?

Watkins has been labeled the best WR, but Evens has the freakish size that our other WR's all lack. Mack to me does have a bit of question as to how his game projects to the NFL so d oyou go wit hthe WR, then which one, the guy who everyone says is the best, or the big WR??

Watkins. Period. IMO.

If Ware ends up leaving the cowboys jerry might want to make a splash. I think we can still get ebron at about 16 and then have two sweet seconds to go o line and lb.

The Cowboys were a team that came to my mind also, despite going away from the 3-4 Defense and it seemed like a natural trade, between 17 and 9...now, whether the BILLS should Draft Ebron is a totally different discussion...

It all depends on what position they think he can excel at in the NFL.

I actually think it would be a waste to play him at OLB in a 4-3 but I also don't think he is a 4-3 DE so where would they play him? You don't take a situational pass rusher with the 9th pick

Edit: for the record i was not calling Mack a situational pass rusher, simply stating that i think it would be a waste to draft him if he doesnt have an every down position in a 4-3 defense

Edited by Max997

If I were pressed to take one of those three, it would have to be Mack...for this reason: Mack is the only veritable impact LB in the Draft (IMO) while there are some great WRs that will still be there for three or four rounds....and I'm not completely sold on Watkins being such an "elite" type player...I have some reservations, if I had to choose in the top 10...

I actually think it would be a waste to play him at OLB in a 4-3 but I also don't think he is a 4-3 DE so where would they play him? You don't take a situational pass rusher with the 9th pick

Maybe move him to ILB, as has been discussed much here you could move Kiko to OLB...that might look pretty good with Mack in the middle...ha, I made a funny... :doh:

He has the necessary athleticism to play OLB in any front and for all three downs.

GO BILLS!!!