Khalil Mack: Take or Trade Down

BigBuff423

Depends on what the Bills do in FA. If they don’t address LB before the draft and Mack is available they have to take him. I like the thought of a dominant defense and Mack will help the Bills get there. Now, if somehow Mack and Watkins are somehow both sitting there at 9? That would be a hard decision...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy runs one 40 and can't run a second because his hamstring is "tight". What the hell is it with these athletes these days? They don't participate in half of the combine events and now they're bowing out of their own pro day stuff.

I'd like to see the NFL adapt a mandatory participation rule. You run 2 40's, you throw, you do drill or you're not eligible to be drafted.

I agree that is a near guarantee that Mack is gone by 9, but that said...there is a handfull of QB needy teams and teams that really do have specific players targeted...it happens every year, someone in the top 10 gets Drafted and everyone says, "Whaaaaaaat??!!" which causes an unforeseen change in the way teams Draft and players that are available...so while I don't "think" Mack makes it to 9, you just never know...and with that scenario, given Byrd's departure and now more FA money available, it makes me wonder even more if the BILLS stay put at 9 or trade down...ESPECIALLY if Mack is still there at 9....

I agree that is a near guarantee that Mack is gone by 9, but that said...there is a handfull of QB needy teams and teams that really do have specific players targeted...it happens every year, someone in the top 10 gets Drafted and everyone says, "Whaaaaaaat??!!" which causes an unforeseen change in the way teams Draft and players that are available...so while I don't "think" Mack makes it to 9, you just never know...and with that scenario, given Byrd's departure and now more FA money available, it makes me wonder even more if the BILLS stay put at 9 or trade down...ESPECIALLY if Mack is still there at 9....

I'm with you 100% on QB needy teams. When you look at the teams drafting before the Bills, this is what I see:

Houston - They don't have a franchise guy. Schaub isn't the answer and Keenum was downright awful last year. I could see them drafting Bortles #1 easily.

St. Louis - Bradford has been injury prone. While they could draft QB, I honestly think they're getting Bradford some O-line help. Still no Mack here.

Jacksonville - Absolute garbage offense last year. Bridgewater or Manziel would be easy picks for them.

Cleveland - Can anyone see them going another season with Campbell/Weedon? If they don't take the remainder of Bridgewater/Manziel, Clowney is the clear pick here as the premier player available.

Oakland - Same answer here as Cleveland. Are they going to roll with Terelle Pryor for another year? That would be a laugher.

Atlanta - Definitely sticking with Matt Ryan, but would they honestly draft Mack before maybe the first or 2nd best O-lineman in the draft? Doubt it.

Tampa/Minnesota - These two are factually unknowns to me as they have so many needs on both sides of the ball. Could both of these teams pass on Sammy Watkins, who's a consensus top-10 pick?

The closer I look at it, the more I think that Mack will in fact be there for the Bills at #9. The teams above them appear much more desperate at other positions, and the draft seems to be filled with the right guys needed to fill the voids.

Yeah, it's hard for me to believe as well, but apparently some of the Draft guys think QB trumps all, and then add in Clowney and Watkins and Robinson, and somehow Mack makes it Buffalo...I don't think he survives past the first 5, but their Mocks got me thinking about what was best for the team, long-term....tough decision depending on what a team is offering...if I didn't make it clear in my thread post, let me say, LOVE Mack as a LBer for the BILLS!!

i share your opinion. I think it depends on the team and what is offered. If, for example, the Steelers, who pick at 15, would swap 1st and give us their 2nd and 7th, I'd do it. We would then have pick 15, two high picks in the second, and an extra 7th--which in this years draft can actually be of some value. (Bromley, etc.). In the first, you can still get a great player at 15 this year (some have Robinson available there, or M. Evans); then in the second take a TE and C. Pryor, or ILB and Pyror. But if would have to be quite the offer to pass up on Mack.

Depends on what the Bills do in FA. If they don’t address LB before the draft and Mack is available they have to take him. I like the thought of a dominant defense and Mack will help the Bills get there. Now, if somehow Mack and Watkins are somehow both sitting there at 9? That would be a hard decision...

While I LOVE Mack, I would take Watkins at No. 9. The LB pool seems deeper than the pool for the sorts of WR's the Bills need, IMO. You could also trade back and get a TON in this situation as some teams will covet Mack, others Watkins. Perhaps a swap of this years first, their 2nd and 7th, and next years 2nd.

you know, mack is seeing more impressive the more we see of him. if whaley thinks that he would be a good fit at wlb, kiko, while not perfect fit, is a pretty good option for mlb.

of course, byrd leaving does change things. i would sprint to the podium if clowney, robinson, matthews of sammy watkins was there at nine, but I have to say, between the run on qbs and clowney we may be in a huge trade down position. an early 2nd or late first would get a phenominal safety to replace byrd and there are a few players I value equally in the mid-first round.