Forget big WR's with the first pick, draft Eric Ebron

Proteus

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, Gronk goes higher minus injury. Graham and Thomas are ex baskeball players. You can't count on finding them (though if he doesn't make it in basketball, Patrick Young of Florida is someone I'd try out).

It could be argue that Vernon Davis is the 3rd best TE in the NFL. I think Eifert could be a star.

In the last 15 years, how many elite 1st round TE's have their been? I would argue maybe 1 or 2-- Vernon Davis and Todd Heap.

In the last 15 years, how many elite 1st round TE's have their been? I would argue maybe 1 or 2-- Vernon Davis and Todd Heap.

There was a stretch where Heath Miller was considered the best all around TE in the NFL. Eifert has shown flashes. Greg olsen has been a very good TE.

But the bottomline is are you ahead of the times or behind them. Safties never used to go high in the draft. Earl Thomas might be Seattle's best player. Eric Berry went #2. It's a passing league. you need mismatches. And gifted, athletic TEs are mismatches.

But the bottomline is are you ahead of the times or behind them. Safties never used to go high in the draft. Earl Thomas might be Seattle's best player. Eric Berry went #2. It's a passing league. you need mismatches. And gifted, athletic TEs are mismatches.

I would agree with this sentiment.

That said, when the Bills try to be trend setters, guys like donte whitner are drafted!!

Lets hope they don't screw this pick up.

There was a stretch where Heath Miller was considered the best all around TE in the NFL. Eifert has shown flashes. Greg olsen has been a very good TE.

I dont think you can make a general statement about the trending of tight ends. teams have designed and staffed for that mismatch .

Bills under Marrone aren't going to use an unbalanced TE . They just need more from the TE than Chandler could provide last year.

I will say

NO WAY they take a TE before the 3rd. even with a trade down.

I would agree with this sentiment.

That said, when the Bills try to be trend setters, guys like donte whitner are drafted!!

Lets hope they don't screw this pick up .

Ahead of the curve ? scary .

oh gosh yes . BPA should meet need at nine. seems simple from up here in the stands : )

At this point, I think Stevie, Woods, Goodwin are a bottom 25% of the league WR crew. I do think woods will be good, but this far into his career Stevie is whT he is - a good not great possession receiver. I hope that Goodwin can be a decent weapon- perhaps what they hoped Roscoe Parrish would be, but expecting 50-60 catches from Goodwin is dreaming, IMHO.

I am suggesting that WR is a big need.

And one who drops the ball at CRITICAL times because he cannot concentrate!

301 catches and 3,832 yards after being drafted in the seventh round, all we remember is a drop, and a fumble.

Amazing.

I want O line. Big, nasty, mean lineman. I think our WR's will look better when EJ can have faith in his protection. Take a LB in the second. I don't want to throw around names (only know the names repeated regularly here) but with an improved O Line, and LB core, EJ will have less pressure in trying to get a first down.

As would RT statistically. There is not 1 RT in the league drafted in the 1st 9 with the intent of playing RT. I think that both Ebron or RT are in play at 9 but it would certainly buck some trends. It really is going to depend on how the draft board plays out.

I think your living in the past. RT is becoming as important as LT as defenses become more complex and speed pass rushers come off either side of the D line. OT needs to be addressed in a big way. If we can't get it done in FA then I draft the best Tackle on the board at nine assuming any of the big three are still there. IMHO

TE is a deep position this year and other teams don't value it highly, which means we can still get a stud in the 2nd or 3rd.

I think we should draft our own Julio Jones while we can (Mike Evans) and see what TE falls to us the 2nd round.

I won't hate that at all.

301 catches and 3,832 yards after being drafted in the seventh round, all we remember is a drop, and a fumble.

Amazing.

I want O line. Big, nasty, mean lineman. I think our WR's will look better when EJ can have faith in his protection. Take a LB in the second. I don't want to throw around names (only know the names repeated regularly here) but with an improved O Line, and LB core, EJ will have less pressure in trying to get a first down.

That is pretty funny. how many better 7th round picks have there been than SJ? You just don't slack your way into that production with the immortal Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing you the football.

And I think you might be under the impression that 1st OT is a safe pick. They have a big time bust rate and we might be settling for the 3rd best one on the board. I love Lewan's nastiness but I could see him struggling mightily against speed NFL rushers. We'll see.

That is pretty funny. how many better 7th round picks have there been than SJ? You just don't slack your way into that production with the immortal Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing you the football.

Don't forget that Stevie and Fitz practiced together as scrubs. They were quite familiar with each other. A case could be made that Fitz was instrumental to the success that SJ has accomplished.

Don't forget that Stevie and Fitz practiced together as scrubs. They were quite familiar with each other. A case could be made that Fitz was instrumental to the success that SJ has accomplished.

Agreed and SJ always gave him credit. Too bad hindsight doesn't exist. If we knew what we had in SJ, we won't have drafted James Hardy in the 2nd of the same draft. Same goes for Kyle Williams in the 5th after we drafted McCargo in the 1st.

I think your living in the past. RT is becoming as important as LT as defenses become more complex and speed pass rushers come off either side of the D line. OT needs to be addressed in a big way. If we can't get it done in FA then I draft the best Tackle on the board at nine assuming any of the big three are still there. IMHO

I was just speaking statistically. There is not 1 RT in the NFL right now that was drafted in the top 10 that wasn't intended to block the blindside. Andre Smith didn't end up having the feet to play LT & Lane Johnson was blocking for a left handed QB. What am I missing? Which current RTs were drafted in the top 9 that were not supposed to move to LT? Edited by Kirby Jackson

I was just speaking statistically. There is not 1 RT in the NFL right now that was drafted in the top 10 that wasn't intended to block the blindside. Andre Smith didn't end up having the feet to play LT & Lane Johnson was blocking for a left handed QB. What am I missing? Which current RTs were drafted in the top 9 that were not supposed to move to LT?

Fluker at 11 was pretty close.

Anthony Davis is one. They already had Staley when they drafted him and I believe he was #9

Edited by JM57

That's the closest that I could come up with (Anthony Davis is around there as well I believe). Tackle could be in play but I don't think that it will be at 9. There is a lot of depth in both the tackle and receiving groups, much more so than LB & TE. I am pretty confident at this point that Watkins is the target but doubt that he will be there. Mack is another guy that would be a good fit but gone. If I had to guess as of today who the pick would be if they stayed at 9 (not necessarily who I want) I am thinking that it will be Mosley. If they address LB in free agency (which sounds like the plan from @buddynixon) then it will be the top pass catching threat Ebron or Evans. Elite skill players trump right tackles because they are harder to find.

That's the closest that I could come up with (Anthony Davis is around there as well I believe). Tackle could be in play but I don't think that it will be at 9. There is a lot of depth in both the tackle and receiving groups, much more so than LB & TE. I am pretty confident at this point that Watkins is the target but doubt that he will be there. Mack is another guy that would be a good fit but gone. If I had to guess as of today who the pick would be if they stayed at 9 (not necessarily who I want) I am thinking that it will be Mosley. If they address LB in free agency (which sounds like the plan from @buddynixon) then it will be the top pass catching threat Ebron or Evans. Elite skill players trump right tackles because they are harder to find.

I believe that three QBs, two tackles and Clowney go before 9th pick. I don't think they are going to take a tackle, certainly not the third one. Let's say the other two picks before 9 are Mack and Watkins. That leaves Evans, Ebron and Mosley. Free agency is the wild card.

I believe that three QBs, two tackles and Clowney go before 9th pick. I don't think they are going to take a tackle, certainly not the third one. Let's say the other two picks before 9 are Mack and Watkins. That leaves Evans, Ebron and Mosley. Free agency is the wild card.

I think that you are right on with the guys gone. Barr seems to be slipping. Free agency will be interesting for sure.