Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Byrd is now considered to be the top free agent on the market, apparently he is not good enough for the bills though. I don't know why they didn't use the franchise tag on him, it would have made sure that the bills secured the top free agent available. If they didn't want to use the Franchise tag they should have at least used the transition tag. They could have then let him hit the market then match any offer. With that over with we will see many bills fans make fun of Byrd. Others will say the franchise is doomed. Others will say that the franchise is in fine shape. The reality is that the bills really are doomed. 14 years of no playoffs is the definition of doomed.

i think that's the first time the transition tag has been mentioned here. if they were at a all serious about byrd, that tag we be a no brainer. the only reason to not use it would be to not confirm that they really aren't serious. it removes any question that it's about anything but the money. so, it's obviously about the money.

i certainly hope a reporter asks the question.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will be a interesting thread to look back on if the Bills end up resigning Byrd when he tests the market.

Lots of mean-spirited stuff being said.

Welcome to the age of the boorish, "internet tough guy." :mellow:

Oh boo hoo......

Hes not coming back! Those tires you heard blowin outta one bills drive was Byrd leaving buffalo.

Really? So if Buffalo's offer has $4 million more in guaranteed money, Byrd doesn't reconsider? Give me a break, this is all about money.

This will be a interesting thread to look back on if the Bills end up resigning Byrd when he tests the market.

Lots of mean-spirited stuff being said.

I understand what your saying but what did you expect great parting gifts from the fans or organization? How about The Buffalo Bills and Sabres home version of management, how two teams tried to top each other on one weekend to anger fans!

Welcome to the age of the boorish, "internet tough guy." :mellow:

Yes indeed. Buffalo's inferiority complex really kicks into overdrive when a) there's a lack of highlights on Sportscenter after a Bill victory and b) when free agency kicks off.

Really? So if Buffalo's offer has $4 million more in guaranteed money, Byrd doesn't reconsider? Give me a break, this is all about money.

Exactly right! Hes gone for good!

Exactly right! Hes gone for good!

My sense is that Parker probably already has the framework of a deal worked out somewhere. He probably took care of that at the combine. I expect him to sign shortly after the start of free agency. If I had to guess I would say that Philly is the favorite, something like 5 years, $55M with $28M guaranteed.

I wish I knew more Xs and Os at at time like this. Joe B this morning on GR said he'd put safety only behind D End and middle linebacker as most important in today's NFL on D.

John Murphy continually beats the drum that safeties don't win games, etc.

Depends entirely on the safety. Also, a strong safety (vs. free safety) is gonna bring more influence to bear on a play to play basis. But there have only been a handful of safeties that DCs scheme around and OCs account for. I like Byrd, think he's very talented, but he's not a Lott, Polamalu, or Reed in their primes.

GO BILLS!!!

I wish I knew more Xs and Os at at time like this. Joe B this morning on GR said he'd put safety only behind D End and middle linebacker as most important in today's NFL on D.

John Murphy continually beats the drum that safeties don't win games, etc.

what kind of x:s and O's do you want to know?

In our history FS has been important. In our D the last 5 years it has diminished. Going forward I project three positions to reach peak value over the next 2-4 years.

I can give you x's and o's if you'd like but what kind do you want? Or all?

The three positions: RB, FS and Punter

The fact is, because of what the Bills just did and said, unless the Bills offered Byrd the biggest contract of all time for safeties, which means more than 60m-6, more guaranteed, more signing bonus, and more years, he would be rather stupid to sign here now.

The fact is, whether the Bills made Byrd the highest paid safety in NFL history or let him walk, they were going to get crucified. Just depends upon which side of the fence you happen to fall. Whether you blame the Bills for this or not, it was a no win situation. The perfect "crap storm", if you will.

I think you'll be surprised. I just don't see the mega-offer Byrd is expecting to materialize.

I'd like to think that's true, but with being that much larger this year, more teams will have more money to spend. The rich get richer. Someone will bite

As much as I'd like to blame the Bills' FO on this, I feel like Byrd had all of the leverage and put us in a position to either overpay or let him walk. I know there are a lot of armchair GMs on this board, but honestly, if you understood the extent of what was being asked vs return, you wouldn't have a better plan either.