Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Byrd's replacement is already on the squad in the form of Aaron Williams. Searcy then becomes your starting SS. Plus Meeks and D Williams. I wouldn't rule out another safety somewhere in the draft, either.

GO BILLS!!!

You sound exactly like the Bills were last year with Lev. Look how well that turned out! AW is where he should be. I can't believe the people on this board can not learn from past mistakes. Meeks & Williams have not shown anything to believe that they are quality starters. Searcy in coverage, a disaster in the making! The draft won't help this year, it is for the future. If you create a hole, you need to have a piece to fill that hole before you make it. You need a quality FA to replace Byrd if you let him go. Someone like a Clemons, solid, reliable, experienced, cheap and willing to sign a short term contract. NO more holes, we have enough already.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You sound exactly like the Bills were last year with Lev. Look how well that turned out! AW is where he should be. I can't believe the people on this board can not learn from past mistakes. Meeks & Williams have not shown anything to believe that they are quality starters. Searcy in coverage, a disaster in the making! The draft won't help this year, it is for the future. If you create a hole, you need to have a piece to fill that hole before you make it. You need a quality FA to replace Byrd if you let him go. Someone like a Clemons, solid, reliable, experienced, cheap and willing to sign a short term contract. NO more holes, we have enough already.

I'm not saying there is a player as talented as Byrd ready to take his place. Just saying what the plan is should Byrd go elsewhere. It remains to be seen if his replacement turns out to be as poor as Levitre's.

I think you're underestimating A Williams, though. The only thing he lacks is experience at the position. He has superior athleticism to Byrd and did OK at FS until injuries forced him to move to CB last year. If he ever develops Byrd's instincts for the game, I see a Pro Bowl or two in his future as well.

GO BILLS!!!

That would be a move in which I'd lose faith in the new FO. If you can't get a deal done with Byrd and have to trade him for good value, fine. but a S is the last thing we should draft in the 1st. Creating a hole and then filling it right away with a high pick is not the right way to build a team.

The Bills won't Draft a Safety high if Byrd leaves...They Drafted two last year to prepare for that exact scenario...So Meeks and Williams move up the depth chart...Then they may take a Safety in the mid rounds...But anyone concerned about the Bills Draft strategy changing if they lose Byrd is worrying over nothing...It's not going to happen... B-)

I wasn't underestimating AW. There was no negative intent meant on AW. Bring in a quality FA to fill the hole if Byrd is gone. Moving AW just shifts the deck chairs around on the deck of the Titanic. It does not fix the hole, just relocates it.

Edited by simpleman

I wasn't underestimating AW. There was no negative intent meant on AW. Bring in a quality FA to fill the hole if Byrd is gone. Moving AW just shifts the deck chairs around on the deck of the Titanic. It does not fix the hole, just relocates it.

The Byrd "hole" last year was almost nonexistent when he wasn't playing. Is Clemons worth the kind of production we already have on the roster? Leonhard, AW, and Searcy all made some big plays and didn't get burned too often. With the year of experience for Duke and Meeks, our secondary will be fine.

The rationale to pay Byrd isn't, "no one else can play that position on the roster," it's if he's worth the cash.

I'm not saying there is a player as talented as Byrd ready to take his place. Just saying what the plan is should Byrd go elsewhere. It remains to be seen if his replacement turns out to be as poor as Levitre's.

I have to agree with this statement- I'd say that it can be argued that AW is a better fit as a traditional FS vs SS and Searcy is a more natural SS than FS. Will either be as productive as Byrd manning the safety position? Doubtful.

However, I would be greatly surprised if Searcy and AW turned out to be a liability on the team. The question about D. Williams and Meeks is whether or not they can be solid backups and fill in as the 3rd Safety- but even then we could have Leonard to fill that roll.

The Bill's Safeties are noticeably weaker minus one of the best in the league in Byrd; but they will be decent with AW, Searcy and Leonard in my opinion.

I did a bit of digging on this subject to see who potentially would be cost if they signed Byrd.

In 2015 the contracts of Erik Pears, Kevin Kolb, Fred Jackson, Sanborn, Legursky, Moeaki, Moorman, Hairston, Lee Smith, and Easley will be up. All of them can be replaced with younger cheaper options saving money for the bigger name players that will be up including Spiller, Dareus, A Williams, and Hughes.

In 2016 the contracts of Tj Graham, Bradham, Dennis Dixon, Ramses Barden, and potentially Ron Brooks could all be replaced with cheaper younger options. This would save money for Gillmore, Glenn, and potentially Robey.

In 2017 a ton of money becomes available as K Williams, S Johnson, M Lawson, A Branch, and Urbik will be off the books. This would leave money for Manuel (if he deserves it), Woods, Alonso, and Goodwin.

Only Eric Wood and Mario Williams have contracts that run until 2018.

So nobody of consequence needs to be lost if the Bills work their deals right. Each year money is freed up allowing some contracts to be signed as well as allowing for the money of the Byrd deal. This doesn't even add in the factor of the cap going up each year. This thought of them losing xyz is wrong imo. Obviously everyone can't get paid but living in fear of losing players handcuffs you in the present.

The veterans that contribute but aren't stars are the ones that should be replaced with younger cheaper talent each year, not the studs being replaced with high draft picks. This allows your players that are worth big investments to play along side great players that are still on their rookie deals. THAT is how you build a winner.

I did a bit of digging on this subject to see who potentially would be cost if they signed Byrd.

In 2015 the contracts of Erik Pears, Kevin Kolb, Fred Jackson, Sanborn, Legursky, Moeaki, Moorman, Hairston, Lee Smith, and Easley will be up. All of them can be replaced with younger cheaper options saving money for the bigger name players that will be up including Spiller, Dareus, A Williams, and Hughes.

In 2016 the contracts of Tj Graham, Bradham, Dennis Dixon, Ramses Barden, and potentially Ron Brooks could all be replaced with cheaper younger options. This would save money for Gillmore, Glenn, and potentially Robey.

In 2017 a ton of money becomes available as K Williams, S Johnson, M Lawson, A Branch, and Urbik will be off the books. This would leave money for Manuel (if he deserves it), Woods, Alonso, and Goodwin.

Only Eric Wood and Mario Williams have contracts that run until 2018.

So nobody of consequence needs to be lost if the Bills work their deals right. Each year money is freed up allowing some contracts to be signed as well as allowing for the money of the Byrd deal. This doesn't even add in the factor of the cap going up each year. This thought of them losing xyz is wrong imo. Obviously everyone can't get paid but living in fear of losing players handcuffs you in the present.

The veterans that contribute but aren't stars are the ones that should be replaced with younger cheaper talent each year, not the studs being replaced with high draft picks. This allows your players that are worth big investments to play along side great players that are still on their rookie deals. THAT is how you build a winner.

thanks, really nice to see all that info in the same place.

I have to agree with this statement- I'd say that it can be argued that AW is a better fit as a traditional FS vs SS and Searcy is a more natural SS than FS. Will either be as productive as Byrd manning the safety position? Doubtful.

However, I would be greatly surprised if Searcy and AW turned out to be a liability on the team. The question about D. Williams and Meeks is whether or not they can be solid backups and fill in as the 3rd Safety- but even then we could have Leonard to fill that roll.

The Bill's Safeties are noticeably weaker minus one of the best in the league in Byrd; but they will be decent with AW, Searcy and Leonard in my opinion.

I get the feeling that Meeks and Duke were drafted to be those "core special teams players." Not to say that they won't get a shot if we lost Byrd.

I get the feeling that Meeks and Duke were drafted to be those "core special teams players." Not to say that they won't get a shot if we lost Byrd.

I respectfully disagree...

Both Meeks and Duke came in with a ton of playing experience at Safety...They had a combined 60 starts in College and they were both solid players on their respective Defenses...Williams showed good enough cover skills at the Sr Bowl that the Bills felt he could play CB in a pinch...There's no way the Bills are Drafting those two in the 4th and 5th with the mind that they are mostly core ST's players...They Drafted them with the idea that they have the physical skills and football ability to develop into NFL starters, or at least solid back-ups, with the obvious knowledge that they will be expected to contribute to Special Teams units and should be solid additions there...

It may seem like a small difference...But the emphasis is always going to be on how well the prospect projects as a starter in time...And of course they'll need to be convinced they can play teams as well... B-)

Any word on how the meeting between Byrd's agent and the Bills went on Saturday? Anything at all?

John Murphy said on his show tonight something to the effect of, at least they met, that shows progress.. really painted the likelihood of him being tagged prior to the 3/3 deadline almost as a foregone conclusion as he didn't think they would reach a deal by then. He then had Polian on and Polian talked a lot about how that is what the tag is there for, no stigma at all in using it. Murphy seemed to really hone in on this and then they tweeted it out. At this point with all the FO stuff coming out which looks like fallout from the Byrd situation, plus Murph talking this way and he is employed by the Bills, they are setting up the fan base for the inevitable tag. The only question is whether they trade him - and it sounds like they would not settle for less than a low 1st to high second round pick if it was to be the Browns. Edited by YoloinOhio

John Murphy said on his show tonight something to the effect of, at least they met, that shows progress.. really painted the likelihood of him being tagged prior to the 3/3 deadline almost as a foregone conclusion as he didn't think they would reach a deal by then. He then had Polian on and Polian talked a lot about how that is what the tag is there for, no stigma at all in using it. Murphy seemed to really hone in on this and then they tweeted it out. At this point with all the FO stuff coming out which looks like fallout from the Byrd situation, plus Murph talking this way and he is employed by the Bills, they are setting up the fan base for the inevitable tag. The only question is whether they trade him - and it sounds like they would not settle for less than a low 1st to high second round pick if it was to be the Browns.

Ya...He's as good as tagged...But I guessing we all knew that...

I do think they will try to move him...Hopefully they will get creative and look at all the options...I've been saying forever and a day they won't be able to get more than a 2nd for Byrd...But maybe they can swing a deal and get a good player in return instead...They resurrected Jerry Hughes career...There has to be a way to move Byrd and come out with something decent if teams are unwilling to give up higher Draft picks... B-)

This is not a criticism of you per se, but I did want to address this idea of letting Byrd go and replacing him with a quality free agent. First off, there has to be a so called FA safety available. Secondly, that FA would have to choose Buffalo. And third, just how much is that quality FA going to cost? It seems to me that a Byrd in the hand is much better than a pig in a poke.

The Byrd "hole" last year was almost nonexistent when he wasn't playing. Is Clemons worth the kind of production we already have on the roster? Leonhard, AW, and Searcy all made some big plays and didn't get burned too often. With the year of experience for Duke and Meeks, our secondary will be fine.

The rationale to pay Byrd isn't, "no one else can play that position on the roster," it's if he's worth the cash.

We must have watched different games.