Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

For all the people that don't want to pay Byrd 10 million a year - what do you think when the Bills are millions under the cap and have losing season after losing season? They are not sing the money to build better team. They did nothing to replace Levitre. They did nothing to upgrade the TE position. After Kolb got concussed they did not go out ad sign another expensive veteran to either help EJ or be ready in case he got hurt.

So again I ask what is the point of not paying an extra million to Byrd? They have a QB who is relatively cheap. They have tons of cap romnd tons of dead cap space hat will come off the books after this year assuming they don' do something stupid like cut SJ. Who would you have them spend that extra million on - CJ Spiller a RB who can beat out a 30+ year old RB from nowhere college??

If they trade Byrd all they do is open up a gaping hole in the defense. Doug just pay the man. He has earned it.

Sounds like it isn't that easy, based on the thread about the FO power stuggle over contract negotiations.

This is in Russ's hands at the moment.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

said GM Doug Whaley, who will also be part of contract talks with player agents. "Before we got here we set a priority list and set the parameters of value that we have on each of these guys and we'll go from there and see what they think".

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-to-talk-with-Byrds-agent-and-other-UFAs/7b785114-a45c-4057-ac32-d8b310dea265

TRANSLATION: we are not offering what Byrd wants.

all a charade.....

sure sounds like Russ Brandon and Jim Overdorf do ALL the negotiations.

whaley seems to come up with the priority list and assigns a dollar value range.

sure sounds like Russ Brandon and Jim Overdorf do ALL the negotiations.

whaley seems to come up with the priority list and assigns a dollar value range.

This is not all that different than other FOs who have relatively inexperienced GMs who have not managed salary cap previously. Indy comes to mind. It is not uncommon. Every GM wants the control though, as it is their name attached to the outcome.

This is not all that different than other FOs who have relatively inexperienced GMs who have not managed salary cap previously. Indy comes to mind. It is not uncommon. Every GM wants the control though, as it is their name attached to the outcome.

It is like that in sports in general. The numbers guys negotiate the numbers and the football people put the value on them.

The budget as of last year is approved by Russ (no more Littman). If Whaley wants to go to $10M say on Byrd or $25M guaranteed Russ will give the okay and Overdorf will structure it in the most cap friendly manner. It works roughly like that (at least in the places that I have been).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The idea of tagging him is to trade and get value. If they tag with the intent of keeping him, the team would have paid him 15M+ for 2 seasons and all of it guaranteed.

You don't think the Bills would offer that deal? 15M for two seasons, no bonus is a no brainer from the team's perspective. Byrd on the other had would be insulted.

I feel the same way about "what if" we lose Byrd...we may need to say "bye bye" to the big WR's we are falling in love with.

That would be a move in which I'd lose faith in the new FO. If you can't get a deal done with Byrd and have to trade him for good value, fine. but a S is the last thing we should draft in the 1st. Creating a hole and then filling it right away with a high pick is not the right way to build a team.

I feel the same way about "what if" we lose Byrd...we may need to say "bye bye" to the big WR's we are falling in love with.

No we won't - there are going to be big WRs all the way through the 2nd and 3rd rd. That's how this draft is shaking out. They may not take one in the 1st even if they don't trade Byrd. If they don't take Evans at 9, it will be because they have someone else rated higher on their big board who is BPA.

For all the talk of tag and trade, I see little discussion of who would replace Bryd. I don't think a draft choice of a safety is a viable solution to solve our safety hole THIS year, a draft choice needs time to grow into the spot. What other quality FA safety would you get to replace him for THIS YEAR? I mentioned Chris Clemons, Dolphins. Age: 28. I had no issue with the Bills not overpaying Lev last year. I did have an issue with there being no solid plan to get a solid quality replacement when they let him walk. I would not want to see that happen again this year. I can understand the Bills not overpaying Byrd, but you at least need a solid replacement when you loose a top 10 player at their position. He does not need to be another top 10, just a solid and reliable starter, not another hole to be filled.

For all the talk of tag and trade, I see little discussion of who would replace Bryd. I don't think a draft choice of a safety is a viable solution to solve our safety hole THIS year, a draft choice needs time to grow into the spot. What other quality FA safety would you get to replace him for THIS YEAR? I mentioned Chris Clemons, Dolphins. Age: 28. I had no issue with the Bills not overpaying Lev last year. I did have an issue with there being no solid plan to get a solid quality replacement when they let him walk. I would not want to see that happen again this year. I can understand the Bills not overpaying Byrd, but you at least need a solid replacement when you loose a top 10 player at their position. He does not need to be another top 10, just a solid and reliable starter, not another hole to be filled.

Byrd's replacement is already on the squad in the form of Aaron Williams. Searcy then becomes your starting SS. Plus Meeks and D Williams. I wouldn't rule out another safety somewhere in the draft, either.

GO BILLS!!!

Byrd's replacement is already on the squad in the form of Aaron Williams. Searcy then becomes your starting SS. Plus Meeks and D Williams. I wouldn't rule out another safety somewhere in the draft, either.

GO BILLS!!!

That's what I was thinking - they would move AW to FS and draft a guy like Clinton-Dix or Pryor, and work him in with Searcy and possibly even Jim Leonard. The word is that if it is the Browns who trade they won't take less than their 26 or 35 pick. They'll be able to get a very good player. Edited by YoloinOhio

Aaron Williams and DaNorris Searcy combined make $2.5 mil.

our record was slightly better when byrd did not play last season.

with the $7.5 mil savings you can plug a different hole.

That's a scary thought: Searcy in coverage...

I understand the concerns, but Searcy had a few good moments in coverage last season. Inconsistent, yes. But he broke up a few passes here and there.

GO BILLS!!!

Aaron Williams and DaNorris Searcy combined make $2.5 mil.

our record was slightly better when byrd did not play last season.

with the $7.5 mil savings you can plug a different hole.

I think that Byrd came back right around the time EJ went out the 1st time so he was in there a lot of the time when Thad and Tuel were QBing. That said, I hope he comes back but I do not think it will be the end of the world if we trade him.

I think that it may end up being AW at FS and Duke Williams at SS. Last years draft was really deep at safety and Duke was clearly a guy that they targeted. He is fast (from what I remember) and a bit of a killer. Searcy is at least adequate.

I actually think that if Byrd goes they role with the safeties that they have (maybe resign Leonhard).