Scott Chandler

thewza

you franchise tag a player you don't want to lose in FA. Plain and simple. If they sign Burd and end up drafting a stud TE (Ebron maybe) then maybe they franchise tag him so that they don't have to go into the 2015 season wondering if they have a replacement at TE in Ebron, Moekei, Pertigrew, Pitta, etc.

that would work too

at the franchise tag dollars, we could sign a number of tight ends that would be just as good, and racing to be the first to put their name on the contract. this is a guy coming off a 2.5m per year contract and you are discussing offering 6.7m as a frame of reference. we could offer chandler that over 2 years and hed do backflips probably. in this one ill have to agree that you dont even consider the tag.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish I knew what we had in moeiki. Doesn't seem to be much video out there on him (maybe for a reason! ha ha).

The guy I really like is Ebron but it seems like 9 is too high and he'll be gone by the 2nd round. Maybe if we trade down?

As far as Chandler it's like, who cares? Nice enough guy, very average and if he wants to stay here on the cheap, fine. If not I'm sure no one will be trembling if we go against him.

If you count the 3 soon to be rookies I have a total of 25 active tight ends ahead of Chandler on my list. If you cannot secure one of those 25 for a decent price then I guess that I am okay resigning him. I don't think that he is awful, just average. I don't want the Bills to settle for average at any position if they don't have to.

While I agree with the assessment, Chandler is not elite, using profootballfocus, he's pretty good...ranking his run blocking skills, he's 19th overall with only 2 ranking higher with more yardage receiving (both pro bowlers, Witten and Davis)

Pettigrew ranks 48...

% of competition, Chandler caught 67% of passes thrown to him, Graham, even with a more accurate QB, caught 63%.

He's well worth a 3 year 9 million dollar deal, I'd still draft another TE, ASJ in the 2nd round. 2 TE mis-match.

Let's also put to rest the notion that replacing him is easy, especially with a Davis or Graham clone. Those guys don't exist. Not in any facet of the draft process. You wanna try to upgrade the position? Go ahead, but let's not act like they will be once in a generation talents.

Yeah, no. Those guys DO exist and a number of TEs like them have been drafted in recent years.

In 2011, Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas were both 4th round picks. In the 2012 draft the San Diego Chargers selected Ladarius Green in the 4th round despite already having Antonio Gates. Cameron and Thomas both made the pro bowl this season combining for 1700 yards and 19 TDs. Green is going to be well on his way. He also has shown flashes of brilliance and been very productive in his limited snaps behind Gates. These are 6'5" freakish athletes with 4.5 speed and varying degrees of basketball experience in the mold of Davis and Graham that you claim don't exist. They were all drafted in the 4th round.

Obviously in this draft, the TE that compares favorably and has the potential to be that kind of player is Ebron. Whether the Bills select him depends on how they have him graded compared to who else is on the board when they draft. The point is, once again, a freakish athlete at TE in the mold of Davis or Graham is available ("exists").

Chandler is a serviceable player. He's tall and can catch passes when he's wide open. Like others have mentioned, he plays like he's half a foot smaller than he really is. He doesn't perform well with contact. He won't outfight a defender for the ball nor will he get any yards after being so much as touched. Now if he was under contract for a reasonable amount, I wouldn't be saying cut the guy. However, he's a UFA and this is a matter of whether or not his asking price will cost more than his modest value. Whether he's on the roster or not, I would always be looking for a more athletic upgrade over Scott Chandler. This is something past regimes have consistently chosen not to do. They've been content with the limited Chandler and completely ignored the TE position in the draft while these athletic TEs have and will continue to be available in future drafts.

Scott Chandler is an average player that could be very helpful to your team if he were 2nd in the depth chart. You try to keep him and still look for a better starter.

Agreed, but it will depend on what they can sign him for? Also, no one has seen Moeaki play since coming off his injury, so having the current group going into the draft is a good option, on depending Chandler's price...

Can't shake the feeling that better coaching and play calling would get more out of him.

Why? Is there some kind of track record of success in the past with Chandler that suggest that the Bills' inadequate coaching held him back? I don't think he had many CAREER catches before joining the Bills. Last year was certainly not his best with the Bills, but he was coming off a major injury. Still, there is NOTHING to suggest that Chandler is a star being held back by the Bills' coaching/scheme.

There has been a lot of loose talk about other alternatives on the current Bills roster. I afraid I don't buy any of it. Moeki was signed after a number of injuries made him expendible in KC.....just what we need...a brittle TE. Gragg....well, he is a tweener...just like Dorin Dickerson. Not big enough to block for the run in the NFL...and, his receiv\ing skills are also suspect. He droped several when he had a chance this past year when games were in doubt. He did catch a few after the games were out of hand....if they play off, he can catch. Bottom line...Gragg isn't much of a player, except for straight ahead speed. Smith is a capable blocker, and will catch a dozen balls a year for 5 yards each....Bottom line.....short of another solution like a FA or a high draft pick....we need Chandler back at a reasonable price. He is a respectible TE, not a great TE. Lots of bigger holes to fill...starting in the OL, and LB

Yeah, no. Those guys DO exist and a number of TEs like them have been drafted in recent years.

In 2011, Jordan Cameron and Julius Thomas were both 4th round picks. In the 2012 draft the San Diego Chargers selected Ladarius Green in the 4th round despite already having Antonio Gates. Cameron and Thomas both made the pro bowl this season combining for 1700 yards and 19 TDs. Green is going to be well on his way. He also has shown flashes of brilliance and been very productive in his limited snaps behind Gates. These are 6'5" freakish athletes with 4.5 speed and varying degrees of basketball experience in the mold of Davis and Graham that you claim don't exist. They were all drafted in the 4th round.

Obviously in this draft, the TE that compares favorably and has the potential to be that kind of player is Ebron. Whether the Bills select him depends on how they have him graded compared to who else is on the board when they draft. The point is, once again, a freakish athlete at TE in the mold of Davis or Graham is available ("exists").

Chandler is a serviceable player. He's tall and can catch passes when he's wide open. Like others have mentioned, he plays like he's half a foot smaller than he really is. He doesn't perform well with contact. He won't outfight a defender for the ball nor will he get any yards after being so much as touched. Now if he was under contract for a reasonable amount, I wouldn't be saying cut the guy. However, he's a UFA and this is a matter of whether or not his asking price will cost more than his modest value. Whether he's on the roster or not, I would always be looking for a more athletic upgrade over Scott Chandler. This is something past regimes have consistently chosen not to do. They've been content with the limited Chandler and completely ignored the TE position in the draft while these athletic TEs have and will continue to be available in future drafts.

Quick question. How many of those TE's were the only ones drafted? I can say Brady was a 6th round pick, doesn't mean that's where we should find our franchise QB.

I would re sign Chandler unless we can sign someone better. But then again if we try and don't succeed we may lose Chandler. If we then draft someone like Ebron or ASJ, Chandler will be a good backup or battle for the job. Moeiki is a crop shoot. Injury riddled. Gragg I'm not sure about. Chandler we at least know can play pretty well. Not the greatest blocker, but I suspect he would be better than Ebron in that department. Ebron strikes me as a tall WR. That's the way he played when I saw him. ASJ is a real TE. If we don't take him, I suspect the patsies will.

As for our most consistent player who is about as dependable as they come for a clunker TE, we should make him an offer. 2-3 years. 1.75 a season?

If I was his agent, I would turn down the above numbers. I could easily be 100% wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I think that Chandler will sign somewhere for closer to 3 mil. per season with a similar number as a bonus.

I don't get all the piling on. He has had his share of mistakes, yes. But he is a solid contributor. I also do not get all the hype about needing an elite TE. He is not elite, I get it. But from my fantasy league experience, I'd say that there are less than a handful of elite TE. If we had one, we wouldn't pay the money to keep him. I believe he has produced more than enough to make up for any mistakes he's made.

I don't know where the Chandler criticism comes from. He's got soft hands and can play. He's the best the Bills have had since Jay Reimersma.

Agreed. The guy gets open, has great hands, is a huge target, doesnt jump offsides and has won games for us.

Why would we want such an asset on our team? Lets dump him and Stevie and just start over because we're SO deep at having targets for our rookie qb and we don't have any needs elsewhere to use our draft picks on.

If I was his agent, I would turn down the above numbers. I could easily be 100% wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I think that Chandler will sign somewhere for closer to 3 mil. per season with a similar number as a bonus.

I don't know if he gets more then 2 years. I'd offer him 3 and a 4th optional. I'd be prepared to go more. I think he sets the bar for this years FA TEs. If we draft a TE he will get a lot of time but a double tight end set for Chandler. That would be a ideal

Hell given his size, though he doesn't play big. I'd like to see him spread a few times. He did well flanked wide a few years ago and created mismatches across the D

Edited by jboyst62

Chandler caches a lot of Crap from our fan base for no reason in my opinion. He's obviously not elite, but he is 6'7, 260+ pounds, has great body control, and good hands. He easily catches balls over the heads of defenders with good position. Hes not a great blocker, but has great size.

I'm all about bringing in a pass catching TE too, but mot a fan of not resigning Chandlers as well.

Are there any players on the Bills roster that all fans are happy with? Or is it pretty much that we have a $&@tty from top to bottom?

Yes- but they want too much money!They obviously are too good for the Bills and must hate it here! Tell them to leave, we can just draft someone better! :wallbash: