Meanwhile in Cleveland

BRAWNDO

I have also read where Pettine was told that there would be front office "changes" which equated to Lombardi's removal. Banner had a falling out with him and as he was his only supporter in Cleveland that writing was on the wall. Farmer wasn't in interviews with Pettine or any other candidate, but I'm pretty sure Pettine knew it was a Farmer he was going to be working with and not Lombardi. It would explain Farmer's withdrawal from the Phish GM job as well. Banner was probably a surprise, however. Haslam apparently moved fast on that one. On that note I hear that Pettine is very happy about that change as well.

Again, nobody has proven anything yet. But two road blocks to success have been removed so it's looking up.

You would hope he was given a gheads up, and I agree that he must be thrilled with the changes. But a different scenario was reported yesterday:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/02/12/albert-breer-says-pettine-had-no-clue-front-office-shakeup-was-coming/

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would hope he was given a gheads up, and I agree that he must be thrilled with the changes. But a different scenario was reported yesterday:

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2014/02/12/albert-breer-says-pettine-had-no-clue-front-office-shakeup-was-coming/

I think that the official story has to be that everyone was blindsided, decisions were executed as soon as they were made, etc. But that official story doesn't line up with information that was circulating weeks ago. The rumors that Lombardi was on his way out, for instance. Other things - like Farmer's new 5 year GM level contract being done at the time of his withdrawal from the Miami job - don't line up with the blindsided story either. Organizations say what they have to say and do things the way they need to be done. Sometimes to save face for themselves (Haslam: I wouldn't have done anything differently!) or for others (Haslam: Banner did a great job and is now transitioning out, he wasn't fired.).

My apologies if this is a repost, but didn't see it noted herein....not only wasn't Farmer present for the Pettine interviews, but according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Pettine wasn't new GM Ray Farmer's first choice to replace Rob Chudzinski.. So basically, if Cleveland had done this thing right, Pettine would still be Bills DC.

http://www.rotoworld...38/mike-pettine

I heard yesterday (can't remember where now) that the impression that Farmer left as a potential GM was that he wanted a coach that was more of an "innovator" (probably an offensive guy?) than someone like Pettine.

Gotta say, it feels good, for a change, that the Bills aren't the "most dysfunctional" team in the NFL, for a change.. I think we are headed in the right direction (at last)... just cuz I like the Browns fans I know, I hope, for their sake, this is a good move...

Edited by Buftex

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 2m

#Browns blockbuster announcement: Ray Farmer promoted to GM, Joe Banner to step down as CEO, GM Michael Lombardi to leave team.

Anyone think their New HC maybe having second thoughts?

Ugh. I wish Mike nothing but the best of luck, but man. What a hell of an organization over there...

Geez, it seems like the Browns FO really wanted other people besides Pettine (McDaniels, Schiano) and as a result, probably because he stuck around the longest, Pettine became the default HC. It must hurt when word's leaking out that the owner didn't even want to hire you and the guy that did was fired a month after your hiring. Good luck with that, Pettine.

Geez, it seems like the Browns FO really wanted other people besides Pettine (McDaniels, Schiano) and as a result, probably because he stuck around the longest, Pettine became the default HC. It must hurt when word's leaking out that the owner didn't even want to hire you and the guy that did was fired a month after your hiring. Good luck with that, Pettine.

Not the best way to start off your HC career...

Wouldn't you?

Would anybody take him?

Looking at the quality of the backups around the league, he'd find a spot somewhere but I don't think anyone would actually trade for him. Maybe a 6th or 7th... former 1st rd pick. smh. Also he is already 30. Edited by YoloinOhio

Wouldn't you?

Would anybody take him?

It wouldn't surprise me if NE made a move for Cameron. Cameron and half a season of Gronk would be insane with mismatches.

As for Weeden, he's probably headed for backup/prove yourself money. Which he would likely get staying with the Browns another year anyway. At least he has a chance to prove himself in Minnesota or Jacksonville or what have you.

It wouldn't surprise me if NE made a move for Cameron. Cameron and half a season of Gronk would be insane with mismatches.

As for Weeden, he's probably headed for backup/prove yourself money. Which he would likely get staying with the Browns another year anyway. At least he has a chance to prove himself in Minnesota or Jacksonville or what have you.

Pettine saw enough of Weeden against his own defense on Oct 3rd... maybe he'l hang onto him. Banner and Lombardi hated him, FWIW, and one of the reasons Chud got fired was because he wouldn't cut him. So they are gone... btw they also loved Hoyer

They're not trading Cameron.

It's also funny that the Browns new coach ran one of the few defenses Weeden has ever had success against.

They're not trading Cameron.

It's also funny that the Browns new coach ran one of the few defenses Weeden has ever had success against.

If Cameron wants to go and the offer is right...

But isn't he in a contract year? Does he have to re-sign?

This story gets wackier by the day!

Now reported that Banner and Lombardi were at odds and Banner wanted Lombardi gone, after it was first thought that Banner was canned becuase he was against letting Lombardi go?

What a cluster. Makes our front office look like the Steelers!

When all the dust clears, I think the Browns got this one right. Banner had rubbed coaching candidates the wrong way, and his influence in football decisions was starting to seep into the minds of potential coaching candidates and clouding the process. He wasn't a football guy, yet acted as one.

I believe that Lombardi was hamstrung and wasn't allowed to do what he wanted to do. If he had that good a relationship with Belicheck (which obviously he does since NE is about to hire him) then McDaniels should have been an no brainer. But I bet Josh saw that Lombardi wasn't calling the shots and didn't respect Banner. So he bowed out. and I am willing to bet he wasn't the only coaching candidate to feel that way.

Seems that Lombardi was also on the owners side when it came to interviewing Schiano.

I think the only reason why Lombardi was gone was that Ray Farmer had the owners ear, and at the end he was probably the only person Haslem trusted.

Should be interesting to see how this all plays out.

What irks me about this is that Haslam--through his own mismanagment and blunders-- may have lucked into a good GM and good HC.

If in 2-3 years, Haslam-- like Kraft-- is being hailed as a "model" or "genius," I will be beside myself.

My feelings exactly, would parse me off. Farmer impresses me more as a scout than any Bills guy. Obviously Pettine is talented but I have my doubts about him as HC