Vikings announce PSL costs for their new stadium

Here's your Bills fan alliance. Make STH'ers pay $2,500 a piece to give the team $100 million. Teams usually allow folks to spread the PSL over 5-10 years to take the sting out of it. I hope we are ready for this when it's our turn. Yeah, Ralph is a real miser. <_<.

PTR

What's this got to do with Ralph?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the 70s MAD magazine did a parody of sports and how ticket prices will force the fan to watch the game on TV. More and more cities issuing PSLs focus on business owners to buy blocks of tickets. The days of a average fan buying season tickets for his family are over. I have a college buddy in Bloomington, MN and he is giving up his tickets. He can't justify shelling out 5k for the right to buy 2 season tickets. He makes 6 figure in the health field ad is not cheapskate but he will stick to his hockey tickets. I can't blame him.

The days of regular everyday fans going to sporting events is coming to an end. It's big business now. Corporations are not taking over, they already have. It's the reason why fans at games have gotten worse and worse.

Who will buy all those tickets? "Corporate" fans?

the concept is bad for fans. It is a ripoff... and I hope at some point the bubble on the NFL bursts where these things arent necessary/possible...

But unfortunately it has worked, and that is the price fans have to pay. I wouldnt want to stand up against it here as I dont think the NFL would bluff in allowing the team to leave.

truly, i think the owners stole the idea from fans (or atleast saw an active market that indicated it would be successful) - here in new orleans there is a waiting list for tickets, and people are paying a premium on the secondary market for the right to assume ownership of the seats long term instead of just buying a single season from someone else (ie essentially buying the right to skip the line).

Screw PSLs. I have good 40-yard line/sideline seats, so I would pay premium PSL prices if this were to occur. I am an average Joe...not a Richie Rich. I've had them going on 14 or 15 years, so do the math. I've seen so much s**tty football that as far as I am concerned, I PAID MY PSL IN ADVANCE!!!!! Enough corporate welfare. In fact, the NFL should pay taxes too. :wallbash:

In Buffalo PSL = Bye bye Bills...hello LA or Toronto. Buffalo can not handle that type of economic model.

Edited by Woody

What's this got to do with Ralph?

A lot. He knows his market. He doesn't instistute BS like this. The teams's debt to income isn't out of whack. These new "cathedrals for the people" come @ a price. Ralph has a lot to do with me and my family as a working people being able to enjoy a live NFL game. I have met people in Chicago that have never been to a Bears game. Heck, whole generations of people have been squeezed out of the market.

Ralph has a lot to do with how we get to see the game. Maybe onfield win-loss sucks, that can be corrected within the business model that is being run @ OBD.

A lot. He knows his market. He doesn't instistute BS like this. The teams's debt to income isn't out of whack. These new "cathedrals for the people" come @ a price. Ralph has a lot to do with me and my family as a working people being able to enjoy a live NFL game. I have met people in Chicago that have never been to a Bears game. Heck, whole generations of people have been squeezed out of the market.

Ralph has a lot to do with how we get to see the game. Maybe onfield win-loss sucks, that can be corrected within the business model that is being run @ OBD.

The 6-10 model? Yes, it just completed it's 3rd successful year.

The Bills have, essentailly, no debt. Rest assured that if they did, the owner would be charging more for tickets (as it is, the Bills raised individual ticket prices 12% last season).

One billion dollars for a stadium that hosts ten football games a year. Paying for a license on a seat so that you can buy tickets for that seat. Where has common sense gone?

Yeah except one is in Toronto and with 2 worthless pre-seasons, you are down to 7. And we are never in the playoffs.........so :wallbash:

I'm not sure when but I read a quote from Ralph a while back saying PSLs will not work in Buffalo.

The PSL is a one-time cost that allows you to buy season tickets. If you ever want to get rid of them, you can sell your PSL to another buyer.

But here is the rub. If someone decides to stop getting season tickets (don't want them anymore, move, etc.) they must sell them. If they can't find a buyer then the PSLs revert back to the team. They can be resold by the team which gets to keep the revenue, virtually all of which is profit.

Notably, the Browns suspended the need for PSLs thereby making the upper level ones worthless for the foreseeable future. They get to sell season tickets to the general public and if they ever improve they'll get to resell the PSLs they got back.

I agree that it is reasonable for people who use stadiums to cover more of the cost than typical taxpayers, but I don't agree with it being an additional revenue stream for the team.

Edited by BarleyNY

Correct...and hopefully the PSL is still worth what you paid for it. Not able to search for a link but some Jets fans were losing a ton when they tried to sell their PSLs just a few years after buying them.

Same in St Louis when the team sucked for years once Kurt left.