Per Bills text Rob Moore hired as WR coach

Beerball

I doubt they’re looking for that at all. Marrone/Hackett are looking for a coach to implement their offensive system amongst the WR group while, at the same time, helping the WR’s get better performance individually. Coaches aren’t baby sitters in the NFL.

And as far as off the field I’m still waiting on someone to tell me what exactly Stevie Johnson has done? He’s a family guy; not in the middle of anything crazy that I’ve heard about. Was he arrested or accused of something criminal?

Thank you.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the things they're looking for is a WR coach who teaches the WRs how to act like grown men off of the field. Perhaps Moore can do a better job of that than Hilliard, who failed with Stevie (somewhat) and Da'Rick.

Stevie, a veteran, was a clown well before he met Hilliard. That wasn't his job--that's the HC's job, setting the tone.

Da'Rick was cut by Marrone in August, thus Ike didn't have much of a chance to do anything with Rogers. Marrone said "we have better players right now" at WR--which included at the time such ball catching stars as Easley, Brad Smith, Hogan, and Brandon Kaufman (who, as a group, had a total of 12 catches last year).

Hilliard's firing had nothing to do with Da'Rick, I would say. Did Marrone fire his d-line coach for Dareus (another veteran) being late several times?

But hey, rescuing another low level coach from Syracuse will guarantee another guy on the staff with no "philosophical differences" with the HC.

I doubt they’re looking for that at all. Marrone/Hackett are looking for a coach to implement their offensive system amongst the WR group while, at the same time, helping the WR’s get better performance individually. Coaches aren’t baby sitters in the NFL.

And as far as off the field I’m still waiting on someone to tell me what exactly Stevie Johnson has done? He’s a family guy; not in the middle of anything crazy that I’ve heard about. Was he arrested or accused of something criminal?

I don't think it's at all far-fetched to think that Hilliard failed at getting the receivers to the tow the line Marrone expected them to. I doubt that's the only reason he was fired, but to dismiss it out of hand is ignoring a couple of key variables that I mentioned already in the Hilliard threads about a month ago:

1. Preseason: there were lots of goofy Vines posted by the receivers groups, culminating with the Slam-Cam that posterized Marrone himself. Now, this one might be a bit of a reach considering Freddy was in on the the Marrone get, but Dougie looked none-to-pleased, and IIRC that level of public silliness ceased, almost immediately after.
  2. Stevie: his shenanigans obviously predate the present regime. BUT, anyone else notice that this year all postgame press conferences were conducted in utmost business attire. The only player I saw put a twist on that was Stevie, who, on at least one occasion, thought his Bills beanie was an appropriate accessory to his suit and tie. Call me a fuddy duddy all you !@#$ing like, I really don't care at this point, but it was just another example of Stevie gotta be Stevie.When standards are set for everyone else, and everyone else abides by those standards, Stevie's just gotta do it his way. Don't care if you interpret this the same way I do, the evidence can't be ignored that this mentality--at the very least--exists.
  3. Horrendous miscues. Now it's hard to say that when a rookie quarterback or the Thad-equivalent is under center that all blame ought be cast to the other members of the team. But there were times this year when the receivers appeared to be running three different plays. Yowsers.
  4. Taunting penalties/game ejection: Stevie got dinged for the first in week two, Woods in week 16. Again, conduct unbecoming of the professionals we assume Marrone prefers.

I think all these things are indicative failing to get his players in the head space Marrone wanted.

I think the "difference of philosophy" was just that.

I don't think it's at all far-fetched to think that Hilliard failed at getting the receivers to the tow the line Marrone expected them to. I doubt that's the only reason he was fired, but to dismiss it out of hand is ignoring a couple of key variables that I mentioned already in the Hilliard threads about a month ago:

1. Preseason: there were lots of goofy Vines posted by the receivers groups, culminating with the Slam-Cam that posterized Marrone himself. Now, this one might be a bit of a reach considering Freddy was in on the the Marrone get, but Dougie looked none-to-pleased, and IIRC that level of public silliness ceased, almost immediately after.

2. Stevie: his shenanigans obviously predate the present regime. BUT, anyone else notice that this year all postgame press conferences were conducted in utmost business attire. The only player I saw put a twist on that was Stevie, who, on at least one occasion, thought his Bills beanie was an appropriate accessory to his suit and tie. Call me a fuddy duddy all you !@#$ing like, I really don't care at this point, but it was just another example of Stevie gotta be Stevie.When standards are set for everyone else, and everyone else abides by those standards, Stevie's just gotta do it his way. Don't care if you interpret this the same way I do, the evidence can't be ignored that this mentality--at the very least--exists.

3. Horrendous miscues. Now it's hard to say that when a rookie quarterback or the Thad-equivalent is under center that all blame ought be cast to the other members of the team. But there were times this year when the receivers appeared to be running three different plays. Yowsers.

4. Taunting penalties/game ejection: Stevie got dinged for the first in week two, Woods in week 16. Again, conduct unbecoming of the professionals we assume Marrone prefers.

Regardless of everything else, all fair points and everyone weights them differently, this is the biggest issue IMO. I know they played a lot of rookies and QBs, but that's where coaching comes in.

Regardless of everything else, all fair points and everyone weights them differently, this is the biggest issue IMO. I know they played a lot of rookies and QBs, but that's where coaching comes in.

I don't think anyone would argue that they weren't the worst unit on the team.

I went to Walter Camp many times years ago. I asked Syracuse S Rob Thomas and another CB "who is the toughest WR you have ever had to cover?". Both answered without hesitation "Rob Moore". I also recall Rob Moore had one of hte highest vertical jumps ever recorded at the combine

Ok maybe I was out of touch in 1990. What is the connection with Moore and the video?

There is a line that says "Rob Moore you're dead" in the BBV song Poison. There was a rumor Rob Moore hung out with a girl who was dating a member of the group. BBV insists the line was supposed to be "Wrong move you're dead"... but the rumor was heavy back in the day he stole one of their girlfriends while be was playing at 'Cuse.

I think Tim Graham should write an investigative piece that focuses on the real story behind this, and not back down until he has the truth. Who's with me?

Edited by YoloinOhio

I went to Walter Camp many times years ago. I asked Syracuse S Rob Thomas and another CB "who is the toughest WR you have ever had to cover?". Both answered without hesitation "Rob Moore". I also recall Rob Moore had one of hte highest vertical jumps ever recorded at the combine

2 x Pro Bowler and an All-Pro. More decorated than any receiver we've had since Moulds. I hope our young guys pick up what he lays down.

Or should I say Moore decorated?

BOOM!! I WIN THE INTERNET TODAY!!

I remember him making some tough catches in the end zone for the Jets while wearing a big old cast, too.

There is a line that says "Rob Moore you're dead" in the BBV song Poison. There was a rumor Rob Moore hung out with a girl who was dating a member of the group. BBV insists the line was supposed to be "Wrong move you're dead"... but the rumor was heavy back in the day he stole one of their girlfriends while be was playing at 'Cuse.

I think Tim Graham should write an investigative piece that focuses on the real story behind this, and not back down until he has the truth. Who's with me?

:lol:

You want an assistant coach who has philosophical differences with the HC? Regardless of what you think of Rob Moore being hired, I don't think that makes sense in any case. You want everyone on the same page.

Well, I would have thought Marrone would have spent more than a few minutes vetting his coaches before he hired them--you know, to find out exactly what their philosophy was and to tell them exactly what his philosophy is.

My guess is that the philosophy may have involved Hilliard telling Marrone that dumping Rogers was a mistake.

I think all these things are indicative failing to get his players in the head space Marrone wanted.

I think the "difference of philosophy" was just that.

Numbers 1,2 and 4 are ridiculous and have nothing to do with a position coach. Look, if Stevie wants to do some Stevie stuff (and the stuff you mention is completely insignificant), it's because he assumes that it's fine with his HC.

As for #3, is the QB and the WRs are struggling to find eachother--it is the job of the Offensive Coordinator to get them to the same spot. That doesn't fall on the WR coach--especially with the quality of QB we were lining up under center last year. It's entirely possible that the QB did not have a firm grasp on where his QBs were. Why didn't Marrone fire his QB coach also?

Well, I would have thought Marrone would have spent more than a few minutes vetting his coaches before he hired them--you know, to find out exactly what their philosophy was and to tell them exactly what his philosophy is.

My guess is that the philosophy may have involved Hilliard telling Marrone that dumping Rogers was a mistake.

Numbers 1,2 and 4 are ridiculous and have nothing to do with a position coach. Look, if Stevie wants to do some Stevie stuff (and the stuff you mention is completely insignificant), it's because he assumes that it's fine with his HC.

As for #3, is the QB and the WRs are struggling to find eachother--it is the job of the Offensive Coordinator to get them to the same spot. That doesn't fall on the WR coach--especially with the quality of QB we were lining up under center last year. It's entirely possible that the QB did not have a firm grasp on where his QBs were. Why didn't Marrone fire his QB coach also?

He hired one... same thing

That's jut like...your opinion, man.

Just tweeted this:

Rob Moore used H-back Ashton Broyld in interesting ways. Would think he'd do the same with Summers, Gragg, Chandler, Hoskins, Ebron.

As described here http://forgedinbuffalo.com/media/sports/buffalo-bills-playbook-part-3-doug-marrones-modern-passing-attack/

the Bills are interested in employing the attack described well in that article, and you can see how any of those guys I listed would help.

Right...I'm sure that was at the top of the list of topics of conversations among the coaching staff...

Alls I know, back in the day, early Madden (Super Nintnedo style, or was it PS1), Rob Moore was the WR I would always trade for my Bills team...he was badass....always put up "Star Wars numbers"! I think this will translate well into coaching the Bills receivers in 2014! B-)

Edited by Buftex