Best draft in the last 5 years

It's not just the draft picks.

Case in point: Brandon Browner.......who couldn't make it in the NFL and went to Canada.....then suddenly returns to the NFL as that rarest of animal.....a 6'4" Pro Bowl CB.

Of course his "lifetime" suspension in November didn't really slow the Seahawks because they have a secondary full of big guys who are somehow twice the player they were expected to be.

Ahem.

The Seahawks have had 7 PED suspensions in the last 3 years......Richard Sherman had his overturned on a technicality after claiming he drank from a teammates adderall laced water bottle.

Which come to think of it might be a great way to keep energy flowing and mentally sharp for 3 hours every Sunday.

My strong suspicion is that the Seahawks have the finest PED program in the league........perhaps ever......and that in a few years people will look back and say it was too obvious to miss.

I would call that program "Seahawks 24/7" which means diligently following the trainers guidelines for staying jacked while keeping it masked to prevent a positive drug test.

I saw a lot of these guys in college........including a complete non-prospect named Jermaine Kearse......and their improvement is uttlerly too good to be true.

My belief is that they haven't actually drafted that well....but the combination of an unscrupulous head coach and a desperate need to match the super talented Niners caused the 'Hawks to develop Seahawks 24/7.

This is exactly what I've been thinking for a few weeks now, that there's got to be some sort of HGH hybrid that they have been pushing hard up there, that has made them bigger and faster than they normally would be... I mean how do you get such elite playmaking from late rounds or un drafteds, so commonly?? I know it happens here and there a Brady or Fred slip through the cracks, but not 2 or 3 PER YEAR, TO ONE TEAM. You would be foolish to think in today's sports ped environment, that this wouldn't be suspicious.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what I've been thinking for a few weeks now, that there's got to be some sort of HGH hybrid that they have been pushing hard up there, that has made them bigger and faster than they normally would be... I mean how do you get such elite playmaking from late rounds or un drafteds, so commonly?? I know it happens here and there a Brady or Fred slip through the cracks, but not 2 or 3 PER YEAR, TO ONE TEAM. You would be foolish to think in today's sports ped environment, that this wouldn't be suspicious.

Kent Hull, Howard Ballard, John Davis, Mark Kelso, Keith McKeller and Steve Tasker were all 9th round picks or later. Basically UDFAs in today's world. All starters on 4x Super Bowl teams.

You can look at things so many ways. Golden Tate is the fourth best WR on their team, fifth best if Sidney Rice is healthy. Okung has had difficulty staying healthy and is hardly an lit LT.

But Thomas and Chancellor are elite safeties...

If only the Bills had two elite safeties on their roster... Oh wait maybe that is the one thing the Bills do have...

I constantly find myself drooling whenever I think of the Hawks and how good their team was this year, and quite frankly how solid they have been over the last 3-4 years (since Carroll came on).

The Hawks have drafted really well since 2010, but one draft in particular stands out to me:

In 2010 (Carroll's first year), the Hawks drafted RD 1 - Okung; RD 1 - Earl Thomas; RD 2 - Golden Tate; RD 4 - Walter Thurmond; RD 5 - Kam Chancellor

4 of those 5 players were critical components of this team and even Walter Thurmond contributed substantially as the Nickel CB earlier this year. You can't possibly do it any better than the Hawks did it in 2010. Yes getting Lynch in a trade turned out to be a good move for them and yes drafting RW in the 3rd round pretty much put them over the top, but that 2010 draft set the foundation for a team that would come to win the Super Bowl 4 years later IMO.

Icing on the cake thereafter for the Hawks was another solid draft in 2011: landing Richard Sherman in the 5th round; KJ Wright in the 4th round; and Byron Maxwell in the 6th; and lastly Malcolm Smith in the 7th. Looking past Sherman, all those other players also made major contributions to this Hawks team that won the Super Bowl and are all very solid players.

And last, but certainly not least, another gem of a draft in 2012 which pretty much propelled the Seattle Seahawks over that final hump: Rd 1 - Bruce Irvin; Rd 2 - Bobby Wagner; Rd 3 - Russell Wilson; Rd 4 - Robert Turbin.

I mean WOW is all I have to say. Tip of the cap to Carroll and Schneider - some of the best drafting I've seen in a long, long time.

Will Marrone and Whaley's 2013 Draft be the beginning of OUR Super Bowl run? Hopefully 4 years from now I'll be able to create the same thread and state how EJ Manuel in Rd 1; Robert Woods in Rd 2; and Kiko Alonso in Rd 2 put us on the path to greatness.

good luck with that

Those are strong accusations - though not necessarily unfounded, Badol.

The problem is that once the team wins the SB, nobody cares. The 70's Steelers were supposed to be on Steroids on their way to 4 dominating championship. The Patriots were caught for Spygating. There were plenty of rumors about Saints winning with a cut-throat DC. All teams know that they can get away and hence play at any cost. A SB championship is worth more than a few lost draft picks or a 500K fine....The teams can live with that. The same goes for the Seahawks!

The Richard Sherman pick is one of the craziest picks I have ever seen. Pretty rare to see a low round guy who had a lot of knocks turn into a star at CB.

CB seems to be the position where you need 1st and 2nd rd talent, yet Sherman is a shut down corner as a 5th round pick...

There are plenty of mid to low round CBs who are very good plus Sherman had to switch positions in college which may have led to the extra time needed to become an elite CB.

Completely agree. I still think that Carroll's time at USC really gave him a major advantage in talent evaluation with respect to the new wave of players that were coming into the NFL. College coaches spend more time recruiting players than they do coaching.

The thing which I find most bizzare about Carroll is that I first took note of him when he classlessly gave a choke sign when the team he coached made a comeback against the Bills. What a jerk.

Add to this yes him having some success at USC, but he cheated so badly to do this this venerable institution had multiple fines which destroyed the program for years. Even worse he skipped town leaving his school to its sad fate while he got big bucks.

Unless he also got a personality transplant with his Seahawk deal I feel sorry for this SB winner who wakes up every morning with a jerk.

L

The thing which I find most bizzare about Carroll is that I first took note of him when he classlessly gave a choke sign when the team he coached made a comeback against the Bills. What a jerk.

Add to this yes him having some success at USC, but he cheated so badly to do this this venerable institution had multiple fines which destroyed the program for years. Even worse he skipped town leaving his school to its sad fate while he got big bucks.

Unless he also got a personality transplant with his Seahawk deal I feel sorry for this SB winner who wakes up every morning with a jerk.

L

He paid Bush? He set up the payments from the boosters to Bush? The alleged choke sign towards the Bills is pretty awful so no need to make stuff up to make it more sensational. Also, teams can fire coaches at any time so I have no issue with coaches leaving at their leisure as well. It's a business man so look at it as a businessman.

My strong suspicion is that the Seahawks have the finest PED program in the league........perhaps ever......and that in a few years people will look back and say it was too obvious to miss.

This is something that I have considered.

Having a great "medical team" can have a huge impact on the fortunes of a team.

I would call that program "Seahawks 24/7" which means diligently following the trainers guidelines for staying jacked while keeping it masked to prevent a positive drug test.

Everything you say is within the realm of possibility except this. IMO, like baseball any use is at the player level and doesn't involve anyone employed by the team. Are they aware? Almost certainly. Are they actively involved in a program? No.

You can look at things so many ways. Golden Tate is the fourth best WR on their team, fifth best if Sidney Rice is healthy. Okung has had difficulty staying healthy and is hardly an lit LT.

But Thomas and Chancellor are elite safeties...

If only the Bills had two elite safeties on their roster... Oh wait maybe that is the one thing the Bills do have...

You still haven't answered my PM.

Those are strong accusations - though not necessarily unfounded, Badol.

Anyone who has not considered the possibility is willfully blind. The truly shameful thing about it is that widespread PED use is fully condoned by the NFL, with a big assist from the union. How else to explain only a 4-game suspension for your second positive test? How can a drug cheat be allowed to come back and play the same season that he is caught cheating? It is literally a joke. In sports like track and field, one positive test results in a multi-year or even lifetime ban. For God's sake, even baseball has a semi-serious PED program now. The NFL's is right up there with the WWF. Edited by mannc

Case in point: Brandon Browner.......who couldn't make it in the NFL and went to Canada.....then suddenly returns to the NFL as that rarest of animal.....a 6'4" Pro Bowl CB.

Of course his "lifetime" suspension in November didn't really slow the Seahawks because they have a secondary full of big guys who are somehow twice the player they were expected to be.

Ahem.

The Seahawks have had 7 PED suspensions in the last 3 years......Richard Sherman had his overturned on a technicality after claiming he drank from a teammates adderall laced water bottle.

Which come to think of it might be a great way to keep energy flowing and mentally sharp for 3 hours every Sunday.

I saw a lot of these guys in college........including a complete non-prospect named Jermaine Kearse......and their improvement is uttlerly too good to be true.

My belief is that they haven't actually drafted that well....but the combination of an unscrupulous head coach and a desperate need to match the super talented Niners caused the 'Hawks to develop Seahawks 24/7.

If you think the Hawks have some sort of cutting edge advantage with a PED program that other teams like the Cowboys, Niners, Giants, Jets, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. don't have you're in la-la land. Do you honestly think the Hawks players are revolutionizing the league with a PED program while other teams like the niners and Pats drink creatine from a sippy cup?

Edited by bobobonators

Closer. not yet. maybe.

BPA is the way to build and then add the missing chinks when you can.

This might be the first year to have some fun and not stress.

i mean we have discussed everything form wr te to LB to OT and back again. And all those are available

Geez, now we gotta add the chinks too? Next thing you know it's the WOPS, the Ricans, the Micks, and the beaners. Isn't it enough the Mondays have taken over the league?

Are you Channeling Marge Schott?

Ahem.

Best PED program in the league? Then why are so many of them getting busted?

Kearse a complete non-prospect? Maybe then the league should be testing complete non-prospect Stevie Johson more frequently.

Kent Hull, Howard Ballard, John Davis, Mark Kelso, Keith McKeller and Steve Tasker were all 9th round picks or later. Basically UDFAs in today's world. All starters on 4x Super Bowl teams.

What he said.

The Richard Sherman pick is one of the craziest picks I have ever seen. Pretty rare to see a low round guy who had a lot of knocks turn into a star at CB.

CB seems to be the position where you need 1st and 2nd rd talent, yet Sherman is a shut down corner as a 5th round pick...

The 1st and 2nd round has seen far more busts than hits for CB.

He paid Bush? He set up the payments from the boosters to Bush? The alleged choke sign towards the Bills is pretty awful so no need to make stuff up to make it more sensational. Also, teams can fire coaches at any time so I have no issue with coaches leaving at their leisure as well. It's a business man so look at it as a businessman.

Excellent post. The "cheating" alleged by many here by Carroll at USC is mostly imaginary.

If you think the Hawks have some sort of cutting edge advantage with a PED program that other teams like the Cowboys, Niners, Giants, Jets, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. don't have you're in la-la land. Do you honestly think the Hawks players are revolutionizing the league with a PED program while other teams like the niners and Pats drink creatine from a sippy cup?

Good points.

Everything you say is within the realm of possibility except this. IMO, like baseball any use is at the player level and doesn't involve anyone employed by the team. Are they aware? Almost certainly. Are they actively involved in a program? No.

I don't know how you can be so sure about this.

I could easily see a team pressuring players to take PED's. It probably wouldn't be overt, but it could still be obvious. It wouldn't be hard to get across, and certain players ("leaders") could be used to get the message across to those that can't figure it out. I think that is the main way it happens. Certain players "mentor" guys, perhaps introduce them to their connection, and maybe even deal.

It's not at all some outrageous notion, or beyond possibility.

I think it's possible to have a better "program" developed, whether it's developed by someone directly associated with the team, or someone on the fringe that the team consults.

Does Ralph Wilson still own the team? Is his younger personal clone running the team? Then no we have no hopes of duplicating what Seattle has done. Reaching in round 1 for a QB that should have still been on the board a lot longer than that should have been the first clue

I agree. They have alot to prove this season. There should be considerable growth on this team, but I just don't see it happening.

When I watch the Seahawks play, they are SO jacked up. And they way they act it looks like they're on something. Especially Golden Tate. Gheez. Maybe Pete just has them super fired up with his superior motivational skills. I have nothing scientific to report, however to me anyway, it looks like they're on something.