Jerry Hughes...trade? keep?

Beerball

Good question OP.

I feel like the answer to this question largely depends on the FO's opinion on Alex Carrington. He looked pretty good early on this year and his body size may be more conducive to helping plug up a leaky run D. A D-line consisting of Alex, Kyle, Marcel, and Mario is a line of very big men (and relatively athletic).

Of course this is all up in the air with several questions- Will Alex be resigned? Does the new coaching staff view him as a DT or DE in their scheme (he has been switching between both)? and of course do they view Jerry Hughes as an every down player?

All that being said, I think there is a good argument to be made for trading Hughes while his value is relatively high if the current Coaching Staff does not view him as a good fit for the scheme. I also admit to finding Carrington's size and a solid athleticism appealing as a starter on the D line....that is if he can stay healthy.

Interesting question, and I would be ok with the decision from the front office either way as long as they have a plan to replace him (unlike with the LG situation). It would be kind of sad for Jerry though, he seemed to enjoy his time in Buffalo :'(

The question is what will Schwartz do with the defense? If he goes "wide 9," a guy like Carrington is too big and not quick enough to play in that scheme. The other questions are how much the injury will affect him and what will Parker demand in salary?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question is what will Schwartz do with the defense? If he goes "wide 9," a guy like Carrington is too big and not quick enough to play in that scheme. The other questions are how much the injury will affect him and what will Parker demand in salary?

Agreed whole-heartedly. That's why I brought up whether the new coaching staff will view Alex as a DT or DE.

*In theory* the larger size of Alex would help our D line get push at the LOS and clog up the running lanes. Hopefully the presence of three very good pass rushers on the line with him would allow him to be effective in the pass rush as well.

If you look to trade Hughes due to scheme fit, Cleveland might be the right trading partner.

this---^

My guess is Perttine is way too smart to give up a 2nd but then again the Browns do have extra picks. It could happen. I'm thinking a 3rd and 4th is the best we get though. Honestly, I'd take it in a heartbeat. We need run stuffers, not more pass rush guys.

The only person who can answer this question is Jim Schwartz (and them maybe Marrone/Whaley).

We have no idea what Schwartz is going to do, or how he is going to use players.

Any definitive statements made by posters are nothing more than guesses and opinions.

The only person who can answer this question is Jim Schwartz (and them maybe Marrone/Whaley).

We have no idea what Schwartz is going to do, or how he is going to use players.

Any definitive statements made by posters are nothing more than guesses and opinions.

Aren't they always guesses and opinions, that's what makes it so much fun.

Good point. At the end of the day Hughes has developed into a good to very good NFL pass rusher. Playing opposite Mario helps but he previously played opposite Mathis without the same results. If used correctly there is no reason for us to think that he will not remain productive. The only one that knows how he will be used is Schwartz. The question raised by the OP is interesting as to what SHOULD the Bills do. In all likelihood Hughes will be back so let's hope that they use him correctly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/7143/williamsons-take-defensive-front-seven Here's someone else's take on Jerry Hughes, Lawson, Bradham, etc. It appears that everyone assumes Schwartz will be using the "wide 9" but I wouldn't be surprised if he tweaks it a bit to fit the players we have (like Pettine did).

So fans want to trade Jerry Hughes, and Williamson thinks we will cut Manny Lawson?

So...with the 9th selection in the 2014 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...Khalil Mack, outside linebacker, The New York State State University of New York State at the University of Buffalo of New York State. (Did I get the name right...or at least come close?)

I don't think we will trade Hughes, I hardly think he would draw much with only this year remaining on his contract and one decent year of production. I also don't think he will end up being resigned. I think he's been way over hyped, and at best matches this years production and at worst fizzles out. Either way I see this as his last year as a Bill (If he does great he'll want FA, if not the Bills won't want him). His 10 sacks were nice, but I see him as a Mark Anderson type. A guy capable of good sack numbers in the right situation, but not a great overall talent.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The Bills tried to resign Carrington during the season, and failed...They then immediately extended Branch instead...Seems unlikely to me that Carrington resigns at this point. I do like Carrington though, and certainly wouldn't mind it if he did.

The Bills tried to resign Carrington during the season, and failed...They then immediately extended Branch instead...Seems unlikely to me that Carrington resigns at this point. I do like Carrington though, and certainly wouldn't mind it if he did.

You're probably right, although I do believe his best option is to sign a one-year "prove it" deal and then strike it big once he's healthy.

Seems like the best places to do so would be where he's familiar with either the team or the defense: Buffalo or Cleveland.

How will Jerry Hughes fit into Schwartz' scheme? He's never used his LB's to blitz much and I don't think that Hughes can hold up as a DE. Is he someone the Bills should consider moving? What could they get for him (10 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 46 tackles)?

I don't see him having a role outside of obvious passing downs (maybe) & question whether he's worth more to someone else than the Bills.

Probably ... man I'm not liking this defense already :(

Is this true ? I thought the Bills tried to resign Carrington before the season. I hadn't heard they tried after he was injured and failed ?

Can we just give Jim Schwartz the benefit of the doubt that he can figure out a way to use a guy that racked up 10 sacks? It might not fit with the scheme Schwartz has typically run, but to me it's a mark of a great coach that can adapt to current situations rather than slavishly following his past trends.

If the coaches look and do not feel he is a good fit for a lot of the things they are going to do schematically they should sell while he has value.

It does Hughes no good to ride the pine or be out of place as he was in Indy, and perhaps Pettine would be willing to part with a pick or do a trade - the Browns have defensive talent to spare and he worked well in Mike's scheme.

Can we just give Jim Schwartz the benefit of the doubt that he can figure out a way to use a guy that racked up 10 sacks? It might not fit with the scheme Schwartz has typically run, but to me it's a mark of a great coach that can adapt to current situations rather than slavishly following his past trends.

hughes isnt far off some of the small speed ends that schwartz has used... if anything hes probably closer to the schwartz prototype than mario - especially in a role player situation as he was this year, he could be very effective, he just might not be able to be a 4 down guy.

I guess we'll see how good Schwartz is at fitting the scheme to the players. I'd prefer to keep good players and utilize them properly rather than starting over all the time.

Me too, but if what we've read is to be believed Schwartz hasn't adapted in the past.

Thats a good point, this type of player Schwartz really doesnt use. I hope he keeps him finds a role- he would blitz Keith Bullock. Schwartz is an inside out pass rush coordinator and for what it's worth he defenses at Tenn would come up with a lot of picks. Multiple possible reasons though....i don't think you throw 10 sacks and cheap away