Pettine picks shanahan

section122

I don't have a link bc I'm on my phone but pettine has hired Kyle shanahan for his oc. Very underwhelming pick imo. Never cared much for him as an oc but I guess this is what you get when you're trying to hire coaches in February.

I liked Pettine, but he may rue the day he took this job. I know the name of the game is get a HC gig. But it can ruin a young career if the conditions aren't right.

I live in Youngstown, OH about an hour away from Cleveland. Lots of Browns fans here, most of them trying to stay optimistic. I don't think they're that far away from contending. I can see why Pettine took the job, because he's in position to draft a franchise QB in Bridgewater or Manziel. The problem is who he has to deal with in management, and in the owner. Some people are calling the owner "the next Jerry Jones". Then there's the upcoming distraction of the owner's trial coming up, although I don't think that should have much impact on the football operations.

That being said, there are only 32 of these gigs, and lots of coaches who think they can do it, so I can't blame Pettine for taking his shot.

Interesting pick since the Redskin faithful felt Kyle was the biggest problem on the team. They wanted Kyle out 3 years ago.

He was the mastermind of the Redskins awful offense last year. I would have thought Pettine would have picked an OC with a successful record. Cleveland will be worse than they were last year but they will retain Pettine another year before letting him go.

Edited by VADC Bills

Can't say I understand Pettine's pick for OC here. I agree with VADC on this. A rookie HC who is coming from an offensive background (Marrone) can choose an OC with less experience (Hackett) and vice versa with a defensive minded HC. In fact that's what Pettine did with his DC pick. But you would think he would have chosen an OC with a better track record than Kyle Shanahan. given the short leash that he has and the high expectations from fans, could get ugly for Mike.

Its not always the success, or lack thereof of any given hire but more how the individual knows, fits in and runs the given scheme that the team plans to use.

In this case the scheme should be shanahans - what it'll really come down to is how KS does with another rookie qb, very possibly manziel.

I liked Pettine, but he may rue the day he took this job. I know the name of the game is get a HC gig. But it can ruin a young career if the conditions aren't right.

I was thinking the same. Pettine will need more than 2 yrs to turn that team around....not sure he will get it done in time before Cleveland decides to rinse and repeat with a new coach. What was he thinking?

OK, now I really want the Bills to beat the tar out of the Browns this year.

I am *really* not a fan of Shanahan, and I don't think that he's the right guy to bring in when you don't have a solid QB in place. Also, the buzz is that Cleveland is hot for Johnny Football, and we've already seen what happened with Shanahan using a relatively short, light, running QB.

Interesting pick since the Redskin faithful felt Kyle was the biggest problem on the team. They wanted Kyle out 3 years ago.

He was the mastermind of the Redskins awful offense last year. I would have thought Pettine would have picked an OC with a successful record. Cleveland will be worse than they were last year but they will retain Pettine another year before letting him go.

This. He was looked at as an issue in the locker room and didn't help the dumpster fire, in fact, he was part of it. This is the last thing a team like the Browns needs at this point and I am not sure he and Pettine would mesh well. That aside, he interviewed for both the Ravens and Dolphins OC jobs and didn't get them. After his interview woth the Browns, the word was that they were not interested in him and were going another direction. They wanted Bill Callahan or Cam Cameron. Jerry wouldn't let Callahan out of his contract and Cam said no thanks. So they had no choice but to go back to the guy they didn't want. Sound familiar? Maybe Pettine identified with him there. All that said... it is a good thing they finally have the job filled so they can move forward. Edited by YoloinOhio

Really poor choice. He should have gone old school or new age college but to go with Shanahan's kid is just dumb. There is no way to know how much his father did or did not get involved in the day to day and in game decisions. He did not develop RG3 as a pocket passer. I feel sad for Pettine.

BTW, Dan Quinn, DC of the Seahawks said last night that he'd have taken the Browns job if they had offered it to him. I wonder if the Browns are having second thoughts? Hell what am I saying? After what they pulled with Chud, they have to have second thoughts about everyone.