EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

I am sure you said the same thing about Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards and Fitzpatrick. How's your wait going? Hopefully EJ is the acorn you have been seeking.

And in truth, the team has always shunned the local media. The SB Bills used to give exclusives to national media because they wanted the hype and endorsement opportunities that came with national exposure.

They get away with it because it is a small market. And frankly, who cares? You don't need to interview players to report on bad football.

You're barking up the wrong tree. My low opinion of Tim Graham as a journalist has nothing to do with how inept the Bills have been over the years. Two completely separate issues.

One thing TG has going for him though, is that he has sucked as a sportswriter for a far shorter time than the Bills have sucked as an NFL franchise.

And the Bills haven't always shunned the local media. Was a time when you could share some off the record stuff over a drink or two. Those days are gone.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A good point, but, this isn't high school. This is the real world. And these athletes get paid millions of dollars, they should be able to handle a reporter's question. If a reporter wants to dig a little deeper in response to a door opened by the athlete, I'm all for it.

CBiscuit lives in a fantasy land where violence solves everything. I've seen this regulation thru violence take from him before. :doh:

You're barking up the wrong tree. My low opinion of Tim Graham as a journalist has nothing to do with how inept the Bills have been over the years. Two completely separate issues.

One thing TG has going for him though, is that he has sucked as a sportswriter for a far shorter time than the Bills have sucked as an NFL franchise.

And the Bills haven't always shunned the local media. Was a time when you could share some off the record stuff over a drink or two. Those days are gone.

GO BILLS!!!

Those days are LONNNNNNNGGGGGG gone is more like it. As soon as the Bills could get any national coverage at all they have been bypassing the local media for the national. And even back in the glory days that you are referring too.........mostly losing days as well.......they were rarely very forthcoming with the media. Again.......because they don't have to be. They own the market and until the late 1990's they weren't even actively trying to sell tickets. To paraphrase John Butler....."if you don't like it, don't come to the games".

I am sure you said the same thing about Bledsoe, Holcomb, Losman, Edwards and Fitzpatrick. How's your wait going? Hopefully EJ is the acorn you have been seeking.

And in truth, the team has always shunned the local media. The SB Bills used to give exclusives to national media because they wanted the hype and endorsement opportunities that came with national exposure.

They get away with it because it is a small market. And frankly, who cares? You don't need to interview players to report on bad football.

I keep trying to give you the benefit of the doubt as your reputation was defended by a mod but wow is the snark strong with you. So on a Bills fan message board thos that cheer for the team and want to see the qb succeed shouldn't? I would be very interested in a response from you to my previous post about all qbs struggling with pressure and the interesting parallels of Matthew Stafford.

Your last line is very interesting. The players get away with not speaking to the media bc it is a small market but we as fans shouldn't care because the product is crap? It is there job to report on the Bills, that is what the news hires them to do. TG making his job more difficult seems counterproductive to what his employer would want from him. Fans certainly want reporting on this team especially those of us that frequent this board. So who is winning when media makes enemies out of players? Or should we just not care bc they haven't been good for so long?

*chuckle* meaning no offense, but I'm having trouble understanding what Bad 'Ol's point actually is because the topic of dicussion seems to keep shifting. The only point I'm clear on is that he thinks the Bills are an inept organization and that anyone who thinks that's changed yet is mistaken.

So I'll let him speak for himself and address your point. Each team keeps 2, at most 3, QB on the roster.

There are plenty of people on this board who can speak to my opinion because it has been consistent for a long time. I was pointing out the Bills inability to go all-in on a QB on draft day back when people here didn't even realize the Bills hadn't actually drafted a QB with their first pick in any draft in 40+ years. I've consistently made the point about just how little impact the Bills patch-drafting and treating each draft like an individual event rather than the ongoing process of organization building that it should be........since before guys like Nick Saban turned the term "process" into a football cliche. If you don't get my point it's probably because I get tired of repeating it to a bunch of people who can't see beyond the upcoming season schedule. The question isn't why you should keep taking chances on QB's in round 1, the question is after nearly two decades without a franchise QB why wouldn't you? Why wouldn't you want a great QB to come in and win year-in and year-out and revitalize a graying fan base by creating young fans and potentially help secure the long term stability of the franchise in the region? No we gotta' get us some CJ Mosley. :rolleyes:

I keep trying to give you the benefit of the doubt as your reputation was defended by a mod but wow is the snark strong with you. So on a Bills fan message board thos that cheer for the team and want to see the qb succeed shouldn't? I would be very interested in a response from you to my previous post about all qbs struggling with pressure and the interesting parallels of Matthew Stafford.

Your last line is very interesting. The players get away with not speaking to the media bc it is a small market but we as fans shouldn't care because the product is crap? It is there job to report on the Bills, that is what the news hires them to do. TG making his job more difficult seems counterproductive to what his employer would want from him. Fans certainly want reporting on this team especially those of us that frequent this board. So who is winning when media makes enemies out of players? Or should we just not care bc they haven't been good for so long?

I really couldn't care less about getting your stamp of approval. :rolleyes: TG is doing his job. Why some people can't understand this is beyond me. The Buffalo News is a business. He is asking questions that his readership would like to hear asked. You act like Graham has a precious, million dollar job to lose so he better watch his asss. It's laughable. The Bills have proven that THE MOMENT they are relevant enough to get any national coverage, they will bypass the local media and give the exclusive access to the national media.......whether they kiss their assses at every opportunity or not.

There are plenty of people on this board who can speak to my opinion because it has been consistent for a long time. I was pointing out the Bills inability to go all-in on a QB on draft day back when people here didn't even realize the Bills hadn't actually drafted a QB with their first pick in any draft in 40+ years. I've consistently made the point about just how little impact the Bills patch-drafting and treating each draft like an individual event rather than the ongoing process of organization building that it should be........since before guys like Nick Saban turned the term "process" into a football cliche. If you don't get my point it's probably because I get tired of repeating it to a bunch of people who can't see beyond the upcoming season schedule. The question isn't why you should keep taking chances on QB's in round 1, the question is after nearly two decades without a franchise QB why wouldn't you? Why wouldn't you want a great QB to come in and win year-in and year-out and revitalize a graying fan base by creating young fans and potentially help secure the long term stability of the franchise in the region? No we gotta' get us some CJ Mosley. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think your point would be a lot better received (or at least more seriously considered) if you didn't talk down to people.

Those days are LONNNNNNNGGGGGG gone is more like it. As soon as the Bills could get any national coverage at all they have been bypassing the local media for the national. And even back in the glory days that you are referring too.........mostly losing days as well.......they were rarely very forthcoming with the media. Again.......because they don't have to be. They own the market and until the late 1990's they weren't even actively trying to sell tickets. To paraphrase John Butler....."if you don't like it, don't come to the games".

Allen Wilson was pretty good at getting this kind of inside chatter. So was Felser. I think part of it is about the kinds of people you bring in.

I do like Gaughan, but he seems more adept at the analysis than the insider stuff.

Not sold on this young man as the future. You could hear the hesitancy in Jimbo's voice on the Rome show last week ... There are some things a QB coming from FSU should have already known. Terrific athlete and physical specimen. Seems like a student of the game, too. But aims the ball way too often and seems confused when to tuck it and run or when to throw the ball. Still don't know about his downfield arm strength and accuracy.

I would take a flyer on an injured QB dropping, like Murray from Georgia or the Mettenburg kid from LSU. Could be had in 3 to 4 range and have SEC pedigree.

Not sold on this young man as the future. You could hear the hesitancy in Jimbo's voice on the Rome show last week ... There are some things a QB coming from FSU should have already known. Terrific athlete and physical specimen. Seems like a student of the game, too. But aims the ball way too often and seems confused when to tuck it and run or when to throw the ball. Still don't know about his downfield arm strength and accuracy.

I would take a flyer on an injured QB dropping, like Murray from Georgia or the Mettenburg kid from LSU. Could be had in 3 to 4 range and have SEC pedigree.

While I respect your opinion, that's a bunch of subjectivity you've provided, especially the "sound of Jimbo's voice." Kelly is not an NFL talent evaluator and, more than anything else, I imagine he is not going to champion a guy until he proves it with regularity. He expressed belief in Losman, Edwards, Tebow, Fitzy at different times. A veritable "where are they now" of NFL starting QBs.

<p>I am not sold on EJ being the guy yet, either, but I think he needs another year to give the team the data it needs. He won some games for this team and can rally them back unlike many of the QBs I've seen around here in awhile. &nbsp%

Were there a lot of those in the playoffs this year aside from Peyton and Cam... both #1 overall picks?

I really couldn't care less about getting your stamp of approval. :rolleyes: TG is doing his job. Why some people can't understand this is beyond me. The Buffalo News is a business. He is asking questions that his readership would like to hear asked. You act like Graham has a precious, million dollar job to lose so he better watch his asss. It's laughable. The Bills have proven that THE MOMENT they are relevant enough to get any national coverage, they will bypass the local media and give the exclusive access to the national media.......whether they kiss their assses at every opportunity or not.

It has nothing to do with you receiving my stamp of approval. It has more to do with I can't take your opinion seriously because you come across as an I'm smarter than you jerk and talk down to so many people interested in having a conversation. I think by the sounds of this thread many don't agree with what TG did. You are acting like whatever TG and those at the news do is acceptable. Many of us feel he was just being a jerk. His question and response to EJ were self serving and nothing more. There are many qbs that have gone on to success that had poor first years. There are many who had injury problems at the start of their career. None that I can recollect had to deal with a reporter saying that they should be replaced after one year to their face. It was a pot stirring effort by TG. Do you think perhaps the Bills reluctance to deal with the local media has anything to do with their treatment by said media? If given the choice of dealing with someone who is cordial and interested in a discussion or someone who is going to trash you constantly to garner clicks/views who are you going to grant access/interviews?

An interesting thought struck me this morning while listening to mike and mike. Many on here bemoan the fact that EJ struggles when there is a heavy rush and that his mechanics break down. Simply put that he struggles when faced with pressure. This is a near and dear held fact for why he won't/can't be the qb of the future by those that spout that. It could end up being true that he doesn't work out but EVERY QB struggles with this.

What is the key to beating Brady and Manning? Pressure in their face. I think we saw that on a grand stage last night but it is a recurring theme with Peyton as well as Brady. So if 2 of the all time greats with 4 super bowl wins and 8 appearances between them struggle with this, why is it used as the crux of any argument against EJ?

As for the injury concerns someone earlier in the thread mentioned a comparison to Matthew Stafford and I think it is a great one. Stafford never missed a start in college due to injury then in his first 2 years in the league he played in 13 out of 32 games. In his next 3 years he hasn't missed a start. So is he injury prone? He also only got 10 games his first year. Should the Lions have drafted a QB after year 1? How about after year 2? EJ had a better completion percentage and better ypa than Stafford. Would anyone be mad if EJ turned out as good as Stafford?

Badol you have glossed over this post so in your infinite wisdom please reply to this. I would be interested to know what the smartest Bills fan ever has to say about my thoughts here.

That team is in the Super Bowl and winning the Super Bowl because of their defense, not Russell Wilson

im getting tired of the "one thing wins championships" comments/debates. Its defense, its offense, its special teams. its pass rush, its your secondary, its your passing and running games, its some luck and its getting a good matchup, and playing your best ball on the last day of the season. the seahawks and broncos top to bottom had very good rosters. Wilson is a part of that just like the defense is, and their special teams was all season (their punt coverage was among the best EVER last i saw the stats). and they had the chips fall their direction at a few big moments.

CBiscuit lives in a fantasy land where violence solves everything. I've seen this regulation thru violence take from him before. :doh:

Haha. I do think a lot of people say things over the internet or hiding behind a job title like journalist that they won't face to face in a normal circumstance. You can ask tough questions without being a jerk. Jerry Sullivan would never call Mario Williams a jerk face to face if he wasn't protected.

And where would TG be drafted if they drafted media members? EJ is a lot higher up in his career field than TG is in his.

mettenberger or whoever else drops to the 3rd/4th would be ideal.

Id love to see Boyd as that option.

Mettenberger is whatever IMO. nothing special. If Boyd or Murray slip to the 3rd, that's the only 2 guys I'd get.

Haha. I do think a lot of people say things over the internet or hiding behind a job title like journalist that they won't face to face in a normal circumstance. You can ask tough questions without being a jerk. Jerry Sullivan would never call Mario Williams a jerk face to face if he wasn't protected.

And where would TG be drafted if they drafted media members? EJ is a lot higher up in his career field than TG is in his.

Mettenberger is whatever IMO. nothing special. If Boyd or Murray slip to the 3rd, that's the only 2 guys I'd get.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't take higher than a 6th to get Boyd.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it won't take higher than a 6th to get Boyd.

That would definitely be out on a limb. Everything I've seen has him in the 2nd or 3rd. If he goes 4th or later I would love the Bills to jump on him!