EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

The danger I'm speaking of is not of that variety. It's the one where you replace your starter and watch him go on to win titles. BTW, the Chargers, oft cited as smart for their management of the Brees situation and netting Rivers plus picks for Eli, have three fewer titles than the QBs they passed on.

Sounds like fear of failure.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like fear of failure.

You can look at it that way. I look at it as better asset management, when you have a QB that you believe in, to support that QB with weapons instead of rolling the dice on another QB.

But hey, if EJ fails a TSW contingent gets to be right again and that's what it's all about, is it not?

I look at it more like the 49ers did. Build a complete team and keep looking for QBs, but don't accept that they are only going to be available in the first round.

Being bold hasn't helped the chargers any, BTW, and to be honest I see fear of failure in the way they acted - in passing up Eli and in giving up on Brees due to injury.

Yeah my point is that he will have a chance to develop whether he is starting or backing up and he will be in Buffalo for a while either way.

He should get a chance to develop, but I'd give it 2 more years, tops.

I think people on this board are a little too critical of EJ. He had a decent rookie year but showing flashes of that "it" factor, leading his team to what should've been 3 additional wins. The first NE game, CLE, and ATL should've been wins, all which he directed end game winning drives, only to have the D come up short ( I know he left early against CLE but nothing suggested he wouldn't have lead the team to a win). I think the hiring of a QB coach and another year of Pro tutelage will benefit him greatly. Im expecting him to show the fan base what the FO/Marrone saw when they drafted him.

I think people on this board are a little too critical of EJ. He had a decent rookie year but showing flashes of that "it" factor, leading his team to what should've been 3 additional wins. The first NE game, CLE, and ATL should've been wins, all which he directed end game winning drives, only to have the D come up short ( I know he left early against CLE but nothing suggested he wouldn't have lead the team to a win). I think the hiring of a QB coach and another year of Pro tutelage will benefit him greatly. Im expecting him to show the fan base what the FO/Marrone saw when they drafted him.

And there are the injury issues.

People want to brush that off, but as TG noted, injuries to both knees and two surgeries in 6 months is no way to start your career.

it's not just a matter of whether his play will improve when he is healthy. He needs to be durable and that also is rightfully in question.

I felt as you towards EJ and the FO and coaching for the longest time.

But i have been beaten down pretty hard here by reading each and every post .

Seems like EJ just doesnt have what it takes and is injury prone .

I suppose its true after all the arguments to that end , here abouts.

I guess ... maybe there is some hope he can be a backup to the next Bills QB drafted in the first or the third round.

still have not read how you Know which one is The Guy !

But maybe it has something to do with... right place right time right coaches right environment and continuity for a rookie . Geez that Is a lot to ask

The danger I'm speaking of is not of that variety. It's the one where you replace your starter and watch him go on to win titles. BTW, the Chargers, oft cited as smart for their management of the Brees situation and netting Rivers plus picks for Eli, have three fewer titles than the QBs they passed on.

Nobody that I know is saying that Manuel should be replaced. He should be challenged. What is harmful in that?

You can look at it that way. I look at it as better asset management, when you have a QB that you believe in, to support that QB with weapons instead of rolling the dice on another QB.

But hey, if EJ fails a TSW contingent gets to be right again and that's what it's all about, is it not?

I look at it more like the 49ers did. Build a complete team and keep looking for QBs, but don't accept that they are only going to be available in the first round.

Being bold hasn't helped the chargers any, BTW, and to be honest I see fear of failure in the way they acted - in passing up Eli and in giving up on Brees due to injury.

They passed on Eli because he refused to play for them. They let Brees walk because they had Rivers. Give the Chargers Sean Peyton and Tom Coughlin instead of Norv Turner and I like their chances of winning a SB or two in that time. It's easy to forget the Chargers roster was stacked for most of a decade. Norv Turner is garbage as a head coach.

As for adding weapons......save the picks and invest in the adderall. :thumbsup:

It's not the same scenario. Last year, there were two teams in the market for a top QB, the Bills and the Jets.

This year:

Cleveland just drafted Weeden, now they're moving on.

Houston thought Schaub was a franchise QB, now they're moving on.

Jax just drafted Gabbert, now they're moving on.

Ponder just took the Vikings to the playoffs, now they're moving on.

Oakland just signed Flynn...who the hell knows what they'll do.

Arizona got average play from an old QB, they might move on.

The Rams might even move on from Bradford.

Demand drives the value of any product, in this case, QB's. Plus, this class was more hyped when Mariota and Hundley were involved. All I've heard lately is that the QB value in this draft is not as high as previously thought.

So, the reason that a QB will be taken with the first or second pick compared to LY is need and has nothing to do with talent. Gotcha.

Seattle was bargain shopping as well. If Schneider really thought Wilson was going to be that good, he wouldn't have waited until the 3rd. When the entire league passes on a guy 2 times, it shows that they think there are some serious flaws in his game. Yes, the entire league was wrong. But blaming the Bills is just plain silliness.

You don't draft a guy in the 3rd round as a "franchise" guy. You either take a shot on a QB high, or you settle for lottery tickets in the remainder of the draft.

One important distinction, they pulled the trigger, Nix did not. They made the correct choice, Buffalo did not. You can call it whatever you like, I call it continued lower mediocrity.

Nobody that I know is saying that Manuel should be replaced. He should be challenged. What is harmful in that?

On its face, nothing. I agree with you. But if he is challenged by a first rounder just for the sake of rolling the dice on another QB talent, that's foolish.

My argument is that there is not likely to be the kind of guy worth spending #9 on when we pick.

On its face, nothing. I agree with you. But if he is challenged by a first rounder just for the sake of rolling the dice on another QB talent, that's foolish.

My argument is that there is not likely to be the kind of guy worth spending #9 on when we pick.

Again, nobody that I've seen has said take a QB at #9. See your guy, get your guy. The alternative is to be in the situation that Buffalo found themselves in last off season.

Like Timmy G, you guys are proponents of using the #9 overall pick on this challenger (aka Derek Carr). What's the harm in that?...

1. Not picking Watkins, Benjamin or Ebron for EJ to throw to, or...

2. Not picking a top tackle or guard to blow holes open for Jackson and Spiller, and protect Manuel in the passing game, or...

3. Not picking a monster LB like Mack and potentially turning our defense from a very good one to a great one.

And there are the injury issues.

People want to brush that off, but as TG noted, injuries to both knees and two surgeries in 6 months is no way to start your career.

it's not just a matter of whether his play will improve when he is healthy. He needs to be durable and that also is rightfully in question.

No one is brushing off the knee injuries. But saying he's injury-prone after one season is highly premature and hardly a reason to start talking taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this draft.

I didn't say anyone was can't miss. The post I responded to stated that this slate if QB's is much like last year's. I disagree. Last year one QB went in the middle of round 1. This year there will be 2 or 3 taken in the top 10. No comparison.

The comparison lies in the fact that no QB is considered a can't miss prospect. That's what I meant. I think I also further qualified my earlier post by acknowledging there is more QB talent in this draft as well.

GO BILLS!!!

No one is brushing off the knee injuries. But saying he's injury-prone after one season is highly premature and hardly a reason to start talking taking a QB in the 1st or 2nd round this draft.

What happens if EJ sucks in his first 6 starts next year or gets hurt? Ride the Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel train all the way to the offseason? Write off the entire season? Or have another QB in the wings that gets to show what he's got?