EJ knee surgery, Tim Graham questions, draft QB?

I don't have a name in mind, per se, but I want a true pocket QB that is tall, good mechanics, strong arm, and can adjust to Defenses. Whoever the hell that is, and I'm doubting it's EJ, that's who I want as the face of the Franchise.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a name in mind, per se, but I want a true pocket QB that is tall, good mechanics, strong arm, and can adjust to Defenses. Whoever the hell that is, and I'm doubting it's EJ, that's who I want as the face of the Franchise.

Yup, pocket passer are always better than scrambling QBs. See last night's Super bowl. :nana:

I know you're just goofing around so I'm not trying to take you to task...what BigBuff described is--with the exception of tall--Wilson to a tee

I was but is Wilson really a pocket passer? He is much better in the pocket than someone like Johnny Football but most of his best plays are made by scrambling around and making something happen. I don't know how great he is when he is forced to remain in the pocket.

What TG did to Manuel was bush league. Manuel should of popped him right in the face. You don't ask a question like that unless your looking to stir something up & create a story. My guess is TG was probably disappointed that Manuel handled it so professionally & just walked away. It pretty much shows why TG is a 3rd rate journalist.

With that being said, I don't see how the Bills can't draft another QB this year & if one of the QBs they like drops to #9 I say pull the trigger. Bills arenot going anywhere without a QB & EJ has not shown enough in his first season to put all their eggs in that basket.

What TG did to Manuel was bush league. Manuel should of popped him right in the face. You don't ask a question like that unless your looking to stir something up & create a story. My guess is TG was probably disappointed that Manuel handled it so professionally & just walked away. It pretty much shows why TG is a 3rd rate journalist.

With that being said, I don't see how the Bills can't draft another QB this year & if one of the QBs they like drops to #9 I say pull the trigger. Bills arenot going anywhere without a QB & EJ has not shown enough in his first season to put all their eggs in that basket.

So what if the next guy doesn't show enough in 10 games? Draft another guy?

I was but is Wilson really a pocket passer? He is much better in the pocket than someone like Johnny Football but most of his best plays are made by scrambling around and making something happen. I don't know how great he is when he is forced to remain in the pocket.

Wilson can evade pressure, almost making rushing him worthless. The best hope to contain Wilson is to collapse the pocket in his face while rushing 4. Overloading to his right & forcing him left is also a good option. Wilson completed 55% of his passes to the left boundary. By far his worst completion percentage.

I am not saying just draft a QB to draft a QB, but if they really believe in a guy & he is there @ 9 you pull the trigger. It is too important of a position not to.

I am not saying just draft a QB to draft a QB, but if they really believe in a guy & he is there @ 9 you pull the trigger. It is too important of a position not to.

I hear and know without a QB, you're in trouble. But which of these guys doesn't have question marks? Also, you would really feel confident in the coaches if they bailed on a guy they picked in the 1st round after 1 year? Personally, if they came to me as a GM and told me they wanted a QB this year, I'd fire them.

Wilson can evade pressure, almost making rushing him worthless. The best hope to contain Wilson is to collapse the pocket in his face while rushing 4. Overloading to his right & forcing him left is also a good option. Wilson completed 55% of his passes to the left boundary. By far his worst completion percentage.

Agreed. He's not a protypical pocket passer. He is a really good game manager who makes a lot of plays with his legs as well.

Guys like Tim Graham and a few posters here who agree with him just are simply not living in the real world. They like to talk about their theory of taking QBs in the first till the Bills find the franchise guy without providing any real names of who will be there when they pick. It's a big waste of time. Yes, we get it, they think EJ Manuel sucks and they want to pick a QB at #9 this year. Ok, specifically who would that be? Reality says that QB's name is Derek Carr. Because Bridgwater, Manziel and Bortles are long gone by #9. Ok, so drafting Derek Carr as EJ's competition is worth passing over Watkins, Robinson, Mack, Benjamin or Ebron? If the Bills did that then they would officially become the worst run franchise in the league overtaking the Browns.

Edited by 1billsfan

I hear and know without a QB, you're in trouble. But which of these guys doesn't have question marks? Also, you would really feel confident in the coaches if they bailed on a guy they picked in the 1st round after 1 year? Personally, if they came to me as a GM and told me they wanted a QB this year, I'd fire them.

Agreed. He's not a protypical pocket passer. He is a really good game manager who makes a lot of plays with his legs as well.

I know Shanahan got fired anyway, but it wasn't for drafting RG3, "giving up on him" and drafting Cousins.

Yup, pocket passer are always better than scrambling QBs. See last night's Super bowl. :nana:

Yup, pretty much anticipated someone would bring that up...and it's cool, Wilson was integral to the success of that game...that said, and I know you were breakin' balls, but historically the QBs that have done well over the course of time and certainly in the Super Bowl are pure pocket passers. Wilson has all of the other components needed, except the height requirement which is why he doesn't stay in the pocket that much...and while I wish Wilson a long and successful career, his abilities are generally not able to be duplicated by another QB his size...so, I'll take the taller pocket guy...for me

As a fan, I would loathe the decision to Draft Manziel...he may be exciting and draw some crowds and probably win you some football games, but history isn't on his side as to a guy who can get you to the Dance and win ya one. As mentioned earlier, Wilson did it...but it's rare and he had the extreme benefit of a dominating Defense, solid Running game, and Special Teams that were exceptional.

Guys like Tim Graham and a few posters here who agree with him just are simply not living in the real world. They like to talk about their theory of taking QBs in the first till the Bills find the franchise guy without providing any real names of who will be there when they pick. It's a big waste of time. Yes, we get it, they think EJ Manuel sucks and they want to pick a QB at #9 this year. Ok, specifically who would that be? Reality says that QB's name is Derek Carr. Because Bridgwater, Manziel and Bortles are long gone by #9. Ok, so drafting Derek Carr as EJ's competition is worth passing over Watkins, Robinson, Mack, Benjamin or Ebron? If the Bills did that then they would officially become the worst run franchise in the league overtaking the Browns.

Agreed 100%. I used to be in the you need at least 3 years to evaluate a coach or player. Now, I think you get a good idea after 2. But anything before that is flat out stupid. EJ was not like JP Losman as a starter. He had plenty of good moments. Plus, if he fails but you spent 2 high picks on offensive players, the next QB will set into a good situation.

Yup, pretty much anticipated someone would bring that up...and it's cool, Wilson was integral to the success of that game...that said, and I know you were breakin' balls, but historically the QBs that have done well over the course of time and certainly in the Super Bowl are pure pocket passers. Wilson has all of the other components needed, except the height requirement which is why he doesn't stay in the pocket that much...and while I wish Wilson a long and successful career, his abilities are generally not able to be duplicated by another QB his size...so, I'll take the taller pocket guy...for me

As a fan, I would loathe the decision to Draft Manziel...he may be exciting and draw some crowds and probably win you some football games, but history isn't on his side as to a guy who can get you to the Dance and win ya one. As mentioned earlier, Wilson did it...but it's rare and he had the extreme benefit of a dominating Defense, solid Running game, and Special Teams that were exceptional.

Obviously the answer to winning Superbowls is have a historic defense. 86 Beara, 00 Ravens, and 13 Seahawks prove it. Let's just get one of those.

I know Shanahan got fired anyway, but it wasn't for drafting RG3, "giving up on him" and drafting Cousins.

Shanahan was a disaster. RG3 was brilliant as a rookie and bought him an extra year.

2012 was the exception to the rule. and for as good as Luck is, his numbers aren't eye popping either. Giving up on a 1st round QB after one year is completely stupid. I might quit being a Bills fans if they draft a QB in the 1st round because they basically are admitting they have no idea what they're doing.

Haha. I do think a lot of people say things over the internet or hiding behind a job title like journalist that they won't face to face in a normal circumstance. You can ask tough questions without being a jerk. Jerry Sullivan would never call Mario Williams a jerk face to face if he wasn't protected.

And where would TG be drafted if they drafted media members? EJ is a lot higher up in his career field than TG is in his.

So it's inappropriate to speak negatively about someone's job performance, even if your job is to evaluate and report on said person's job performance, unless you can beat that person up in a fist fight? Is that what you're saying?

In general, there's patterns to look at but don't pigeon hole yourself. Players come in many different styles. I can see Cam Newton winning a SB as easily as I can see Phil Rivers winning one.

Shanahan was a disaster. RG3 was brilliant as a rookie and bought him an extra year.

2012 was the exception to the rule. and for as good as Luck is, his numbers aren't eye popping either. Giving up on a 1st round QB after one year is completely stupid. I might quit being ao Bills fans if they draft a QB in the 1st round because they basically are admitting they have no idea what they're doing.

So picking Cousins was bad for the Skins?

Mettenberger is whatever IMO. nothing special. If Boyd or Murray slip to the 3rd, that's the only 2 guys I'd get.

I was big on Mettenberger early, but his performance down the stretch dropped him in my eyes. Even still, he's got the prototypical size, a major league arm, and played with and against the best college football has to offer. Plucking him in the 3rd or 4th would be worth the risk IMO.

So it's inappropriate to speak negatively about someone's job performance, even if your job is to evaluate and report on said person's job performance, unless you can beat that person up in a fist fight? Is that what you're saying?

EJ is in the top 1% of his field. Where is TG? Plenty of journalists ask tough questions. But a lot do it with class. Guys like Sullivan and Graham severely lack in that department. They want to be part of the story.

So picking Cousins was bad for the Skins?

Huh? As a backup, he's fine. but silly fans inflated his value and act like he was better than RG3. That created a needless distraction.