Snowmageddon 2014 in Atlanta

Just in Atlanta

For people living in these areas where the gov't/road crews will leave you to fend for yourself... Why not just carry a set of these in each vehicle?

http://www.amazon.co...sl_8k44a02yeh_b

There are so many cheap designs and easy to put on... Especially for the brutal ice, wouldn't they come in handy? At least stop the sliding. 60 bucks in each trunk isn't gonna break the bank.

Yes, but what good are they if the government doesn't show up during the storm to put them on my tires for me! :nana:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but what good are they if the government doesn't show up during the storm to put them on my tires for me! :nana:

Yeah... LoL... I thought about that for a second. I had to mention their ease of use, but still, I can just imagine all these cars stopped along I-75 w/driver holding up these cable things w/befuddled looks in their eye! "Now what do we do!"

Just imagine the idiots who put them on backwards or not the drive wheel (would be priceless just watching people find the drive wheel), whatever. Yet, they do have "chain laws" in CA, CO, and other states out west... You do see people/trucks out on the side of the road installing them. Then again, this is Atlanta! ;-) ;-)

Anway, we handle the heat way better up here... Only two would have died from a Chicago heat wave... And they were probably locked w/closed windows anyway! ;-)

Temps are up, roads are clearing, and the Government IS actually doing something. Finally.

They are out, working hard... at towing all of the abandoned cars left on the side of the roads. Gotta make that money!! See you at the impound, bring cash!!

Did they say whay the average tow charge will be? Flat fee? Free? Free, as a give off a hardy laugh!

Temps are up, roads are clearing, and the Government IS actually doing something. Finally.

They are out, working hard... at towing all of the abandoned cars left on the side of the roads. Gotta make that money!! See you at the impound, bring cash!!

Did they say whay the average tow charge will be? Flat fee? Free? Free, as a give off a hardy laugh!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On I-80 (the road to Reno) , when the chain laws are informed, it is MANDATORY to put on chains (near Donner Pass) they have an area to put on chains. If you don't have them or can't put them on, you HAVE to pay to rent them or have someone put them on for you. After that area, there is a cop that will ticket you if you don't have them on.

Schools closed again tomorrow.

It's going to be 50 degrees too! I guess Tuesday was so bad, they just decided to give everyone the rest of the week off. We told everyone to stay home until Monday as well (but we can all telecommute).

I'm assuming it varies from town to town or county to county, but Im guessing the usual impound/tow fees. Somewhere between $100 and $200.

If I was down there I would give them a couple extra hundred to tow the car back to my house.

It's a sunny 40 degrees out and the roads are pretty clear. Would be a waste of money.

Edit, just re-read my thermometer, 40 is more accurate.

Edited by DrDareustein

All about the buck! And people will lap it up like lemmings!

WOW Doc! Exactly what I was thinking. They could have everybody come @ different times to pick-up their vehicle throughout the week/weekend... Give them the rest of the week off, of course paid leave!! Crying out loud, gonna be alomst 60 on Friday! Make business pick up the tab, heck they saved on no snow removal and salt! They spend no money on anything, and now they want to charge people? What is this South Carolina where they charge you for cleaning up the blood on the street that was spilled in your car wreck? Tennessee, where the fire department won't hose your house down because yout didn't pay extra for fire protection?

Atlanta Metro is #9 statistical area w/6 million people. Chicago Metro is #3 statisical area in the country w/9 million people. Chicago also has a whopping 11,800 people per square mile and 9,500 per square mile in the metro area. Atlanta comes in @ 3,200 per square mile for the city and ONLY 630 per square mile for metro! WOW, 630? Don't give it is hilly BS.

What seems to be the problem? Fit the city garbage trucks w/blades and salters? That is cheaper than full out machines. All hands on deck! Or... Is that (garbage service) contracted out too?

Here is my commute into the city this afternoon @ 1500, in similae weather that just "ripped through" The South:

post-1877-0-67573400-1391123201_thumb.jpg

Already Chicago has almost 50" of snow this year, lot more down here away from O'Hare (which is 65 miles away from me). By BFLO standards that 50" isn't much, BFLO has almost 80" already this year. BUT mix in area size, population density, etc... This 50" is BFLO's snow on steroids! Now mix in a totally flat area that turns every road here in the midwest into the 219 back in WNY. This area in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana does exceptionally well given those big numbers... Probably the best in the country. Sure people die in the heat during the summer time, but by far, this wimpy, predicted storm in GA takes the cake in futility!

Like Mayor Daly said to the Chicago Bears a bunch of years ago: Good, move to Gary, Indiana, you gotta be kidding... Don't let the door hit you in the azz! Same thing with this... Good, move away where "business is better"... Think you will find better services? LoL

The whole mess kind of reminded me of what happened/happens to DC when blizzards hit. Some cities just don't have the capabilities to deal with certain weather events, as they don't happen often enough to put $$$ into preparation. Kinda feel bad for Atlanta's population, even though other cities deal with this sort of weather with absolute ease.

It's going to be 50 degrees too! I guess Tuesday was so bad, they just decided to give everyone the rest of the week off. We told everyone to stay home until Monday as well (but we can all telecommute).

I'm assuming it varies from town to town or county to county, but Im guessing the usual impound/tow fees. Somewhere between $100 and $200.

I was told that in Roswell, near me, they did not charge to tow/move the cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Ummm, here we go again........Most of the whole state is on alert, every school district in eery country around Atlanta is already closed on Tuesday and Wednesday!

Oh well, maybe this will prove once and for all we need a real work at home policy where I am.

Everything could very well be still closed on Thursday too!!