Snowmageddon 2014 in Atlanta

Just in Atlanta

OK I'm intrigued, and have questions, and I'm snowed in.

1. You moved to Alaska to be a mechanic. I know there wasn't a shortage of mechanics, so what drew you?

2. Is there really a shortage of women there?

3. Cool city to visit? Been wanting to take a trip to the Pacific Northwest / BC / Alaska for some time now.

4. First thing that comes to mind about Anchorage.

Yep, we do have ourselves a couple of hospitals down here in Atlanta. LOL.

1. Alaska. Nuf said but I will anyway. Millions and millions of unfenced acres to roam as I please, motorized or on foot. World class fishing both fresh and salt water. Hunting that outsiders pay $13,000 for I do with a $40 resident license. You could spent 10 lifetimes exploring Alaska and not see half of it. That's why I got a pilots license.

2. The woman myth is a carry over from the gold rush and pipeline days when thousands of men came here to make there fortune. They all left. I believe the current ratio is 102 men to 100 women.

3. I would skip Anchorage. It's just a city. Best thing to say about is it's 30 minutes from Alaska. Do like my aunt and uncle did they flew to Fairbanks, took the train down to Seward and then the cruse boat to lower 48. Saw the interior and the coast. They loved it. Course the day they spent in Anchorage with there beloved nephew helped.

4. Well MY first thought about Anchorage is that compared to WNY it's very expensive. Sure never found the cheap land I thought I would. But it's fun. Seems like every one hunt's, rides 4 wheelers, shoots, etc. And on the political side how do you beat no tax's and almost no gun laws?

Jim doesn't even have Neil Young; that's Canada. All he has is Jewell.

You see a problem with that?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. Well MY first thought about Anchorage is that compared to WNY it's very expensive. Sure never found the cheap land I thought I would. But it's fun. Seems like every one hunt's, rides 4 wheelers, shoots, etc. And on the political side how do you beat no tax's and almost no gun laws?

Is there a ton of land there that is leased in large tracts for hunting, fishing, etc? I would guess it is expensive land but cheap to lease for a season?

Cool, thanks. No taxes and fewer laws is what America is (and should be) about -- regardless of politics. We're awash with increasing regulation on our personal lives here in the 48. New Jersey is trying to make it illegal to not have dogs seatbelted while in transit. Dogs!

1. Alaska. Nuf said but I will anyway. Millions and millions of unfenced acres to roam as I please, motorized or on foot. World class fishing both fresh and salt water. Hunting that outsiders pay $13,000 for I do with a $40 resident license. You could spent 10 lifetimes exploring Alaska and not see half of it. That's why I got a pilots license.

2. The woman myth is a carry over from the gold rush and pipeline days when thousands of men came here to make there fortune. They all left. I believe the current ratio is 102 men to 100 women.

3. I would skip Anchorage. It's just a city. Best thing to say about is it's 30 minutes from Alaska. Do like my aunt and uncle did they flew to Fairbanks, took the train down to Seward and then the cruse boat to lower 48. Saw the interior and the coast. They loved it. Course the day they spent in Anchorage with there beloved nephew helped.

You see a problem with that?

Uhm...

Neil Young, Damage Done:

Holy crap! Jewell doing Damage Done! Mind blown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7r5NLQ8Qc

No I hunt on state or Federal land for free. That's part of the reason private land is so expensive. Much of the land is government land.

what does it take to camp and live off the land like the dudes you see on TV? They're on federal land? With permit? Is it private land?

what does it take to camp and live off the land like the dudes you see on TV? They're on federal land? With permit? Is it private land?

No it's state and Federal land. No fee. If you're seeing buildings though it may be a old mining claim or homestead surrounded by gov land. That would be private. Also the state sells some land in remote areas.

I tried to leave my office at 1 PM.......it took 1 and a half hours to get 4 levels on the parking deck. I never left the parking deck, and I was running out of gas, and did not want to screw others up, so I parked. I walked like 3/4 mile to a Costco, the closest gas location, and I got a two gallon gas container, and I filled it up and walked back. It then took 30 more minutes to just leave the parking deck. It then took 2 hours to drive the 3/4 miles to the Costco. I hung there for an hour. I went back to my office. OK, I am drunk now, parts of this email were typed 4 hours ago. There were fights at a bar I was at, they ran out of food. I am good, about to crash underneath my desk.

I tried to leave my office at 1 PM.......it took 1 and a half hours to get 4 levels on the parking deck. I never left the parking deck, and I was running out of gas, and did not want to screw others up, so I parked. I walked like 3/4 mile to a Costco, the closest gas location, and I got a two gallon gas container, and I filled it up and walked back. It then took 30 more minutes to just leave the parking deck. It then took 2 hours to drive the 3/4 miles to the Costco. I hung there for an hour. I went back to my office. OK, I am drunk now, parts of this email were typed 4 hours ago. There were fights at a bar I was at, they ran out of food. I am good, about to crash underneath my desk.

What does everybody drive on E? It is wintertime, why go below a half? Holy Moly, the world is coming an end over a 4" snow fall?

I claimed my dumbness. Never thought the weather would be that bad,

Yeah, it really is the number of people... It happens everywhere the population is great and they all try to do something at the same time... Just not prepared for it down South! You would think that they would just spend a little on being proactive. I know it sledom freezes down there, but why not bury water lines a little deeper so when it does freeze, everybody is prepared. Spend a little money on a plan and better codes. Or, is that why the South is so cheap to do business in? Because they cut everything to the bone?

They just don't work hard down there @ this stuff. I don't care what jboyst says, it is still a more lazier mentality down there. I know it is hilly and roads get icy, lots of people. But, "Be prepared." My friend moved to North Carolina and some of the local neigbors looked @ him in disbelief when he whipped out a small snow thrower that brought with him. He said: "Gee it ain't gonna move itself too quickly." Again, such a lazy work ethic down there. Know you know why things can be done cheaper, they just don't have to think of crap like this... Then when it happens, they can play off the sob story.

Good luck dealing w/the masses!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I left my office at 12:45, drove for 4.5 hours to get about 8 miles. Finally I left my car and walked the remaining 4 miles home. Then I walked another 1.5 miles to my dsughter's daycare and back. The hard part was carrying my little girl home. Finally home safe at 7:45. !@#$ed up day.

I saw a lot of frustrated people today. Sliding on ice and unable to make it up not very steep hills. Leaving my car was the best thing. Saved me a few hours of anguish.

I left my office at 12:45, drove for 4.5 hours to get about 8 miles. Finally I left my car and walked the remaining 4 miles home. Then I walked another 1.5 miles to my dsughter's daycare and back. The hard part was carrying my little girl home. Finally home safe at 7:45. !@#$ed up day.

I saw a lot of frustrated people today. Sliding on ice and unable to make it up not very steep hills. Leaving my car was the best thing. Saved me a few hours of anguish.

Where is your car now? Abandoned on the roadside? The hills gotta be the roughest part, glad you are safe. How much snow fell?

Where is your car now? Abandoned on the roadside? The hills gotta be the roughest part, glad you are safe. How much snow fell?

Left my car in a little cul-de-sac off a main road.

Only about 2 inches fell. The absurdity of the situation was seeing other people walking, with briefcases and work shoes, obviously desperate to get home and then other people who were home already just casually enjoying the rare snowy day, walking their dogs, kids having snowball fights.

Conditions not really extreme at all (especially by WNY standards) but the city of Atlanta is extremely unable to handle it.

Very frustrating. I'm grateful to home safe with my family. Others had it worse than me.

Left my car in a little cul-de-sac off a main road.

Only about 2 inches fell. The absurdity of the situation was seeing other people walking, with briefcases and work shoes, obviously desperate to get home and then other people who were home already just casually enjoying the rare snowy day, walking their dogs, kids having snowball fights.

Conditions not really extreme at all (especially by WNY standards) but the city of Atlanta is extremely unable to handle it.

Very frustrating. I'm grateful to home safe with my family. Others had it worse than me.

Glad to here. We drove through ATL in Dec. 2009 on a Sunday and traffic was brutal! A Sunday! LoL... Good luck under 2" and "extreme" conditions. Again, glad you and your family are safe! Any plans for picking up the car later? When will they say roads will thaw?