Snowmageddon 2014 in Atlanta

Just in Atlanta

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, we can amuse Jimmy as he is trying to be all rugged and outdoorsy with all his hard weather but he doesn't know what it is like down South. Real men, mountain men. Lumberjacks. Tough, solid men that work in heat and cold and don't hop along in little snow buggies all day.

Jim can have his Neil Young. We got Skynard.

Hang on I just caught this. Skynard? Best you can do is some one whose been dead for 30+ years? Really? Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I don't think they'll be any brime or sand laid down except on freeways. 20 degrees here so surface streets will be an ice rink.

On another note, never heard of Off the Wall before. Post was banished here...

It's a fine place to be banished to. If you get booted to the shark tank, especially if you are bleeding a bit watch out. Speaking of which with all of this discussion of municipalities and government run snow plowing maybe this should go to PPP..... :o

From my Facebook feed:

People sleeping in Krogers and CVSs, cars, strangers' houses, kids still stranded in busses. 14-plus hour commutes. Pile-ups...

Atlanta is a disaster zone this morning. All from 2 inches of freaking snow. Government failed miserably at what should be its core function.

It's a fine place to be banished to. If you get booted to the shark tank, especially if you are bleeding a bit watch out. Speaking of which with all of this discussion of municipalities and government run snow plowing maybe this should go to PPP..... :o

NOOOO!

Tried to leave my office again at 5 AM. Never made it. Roads are just too bad. Got on the highway, and it was a parking lot. I was able to immediately get off, and then park, but then had to walk 2 miles to get back to my office. I stopped at a hotel, they just happened to be starting to serve breakfast, so I had that before my walk back. While at the bar last night, as stated, there were fights breaking out when they ran out of food and people got liquored up. At the hotel this crazy women was demanding a room.......um, there is no rooms at any hotel for about 25 square mile radius right now. The front desk person was calling the cops on her, and the women then demanded people move their cars so she could drive. I am back safely in my office, and there is one other person. Pretty safe here. Wish I actually had my handgun.

Took me 5.5 hrs to get home last night. I work in Mid-town and live about as far SW in Fulton County as you can get. They basically closed schools and businesses al at the same time and flooded the streets. Highways are skating rinks and couple that with an extreme amount of tractor trailers. Throw in that half the cars in the city either have bald tires, low profiles, are 2WD pickup trucks or big engine rear wheel drive luxury cars. Also Atlanta is a very hilly city and a full 75% of the people that live here are mouthbreathers.

Edited by Kevbeau

Took me 5.5 hrs to get home last night. I work in Mid-town and live about as far SW in Fulton County as you can get. They basically closed schools and businesses al at the same time and flooded the streets. Highways are skating rinks and couple that with an extreme amount of tractor trailers. Throw in that half the cars in the city either have bald tires, low profiles, are 2WD pickup trucks or big engine rear wheel drive luxury cars. Also Atlanta is a very hilly city and a full 75% of the people that live here are mouthbreathers.

That really sounds great

Tried to leave my office again at 5 AM. Never made it. Roads are just too bad. Got on the highway, and it was a parking lot. I was able to immediately get off, and then park, but then had to walk 2 miles to get back to my office. I stopped at a hotel, they just happened to be starting to serve breakfast, so I had that before my walk back. While at the bar last night, as stated, there were fights breaking out when they ran out of food and people got liquored up. At the hotel this crazy women was demanding a room.......um, there is no rooms at any hotel for about 25 square mile radius right now. The front desk person was calling the cops on her, and the women then demanded people move their cars so she could drive. I am back safely in my office, and there is one other person. Pretty safe here. Wish I actually had my handgun.

And people mock the scene in 2010 on Lakeshore Drive out! That is when they actually got some snow and got stuck for real and have a population of almost 3 million... More people than some states! Problem in Atlanta sounds like a breakdown @ every level... Not even having reasonable salt and manageable pieces of equipment to handle what seems like a very manageable situation. Then the panic by the masses set it. Every person for themselves! The rats jumping ship! I hope, I very well hope that stories come out of this that are good... How people helped each other and their neighbors and how Atlantians grew closer because of this "terrible, horrific weather event"

The South's gonna rise again? No wonder they lost the war, just not industrious enough, even 148 years later. (hope this doesn't get this thread kicked to hell... Sorry BB!)

To quote one illustrious poster here: :-)

"Failing to plan is planning to fail."

Yet, failing to plan sure saves money and undercuts everybody else!

I am tired of the bravado we from the north have when it comes to snow...especially now that i have kids...people complain because places like virginia complain when they close schools based on a forecast then the forecast fails to materialize...when it comes to my kids potentially being put in harms way, i am glad they err on the safe side, i'd rather they stay home and have a beautiful day to enjoy than be stuck on school buses for hours or even overnight. last week during our latest round of snow, i left work at 11 just as it was starting and despite brining and plowing the driving was horrible...my son had to be to work 12.30-8.30 at target and my insides were churning about the idea of him getting home at 8.30 after 9 hours of what i was currently seeing. i got home and told him to call and see what they thought, they told him if he didn't feel safe then to not risk it. I told him that even if he went in, there wasn't going to be any customer traffic.

sorry for my rant. i guess its just a reaction to social media and how everyone in the north is slamming the southerners.

I am tired of the bravado we from the north have when it comes to snow...especially now that i have kids...people complain because places like virginia complain when they close schools based on a forecast then the forecast fails to materialize...when it comes to my kids potentially being put in harms way, i am glad they err on the safe side, i'd rather they stay home and have a beautiful day to enjoy than be stuck on school buses for hours or even overnight. last week during our latest round of snow, i left work at 11 just as it was starting and despite brining and plowing the driving was horrible...my son had to be to work 12.30-8.30 at target and my insides were churning about the idea of him getting home at 8.30 after 9 hours of what i was currently seeing. i got home and told him to call and see what they thought, they told him if he didn't feel safe then to not risk it. I told him that even if he went in, there wasn't going to be any customer traffic.

sorry for my rant. i guess its just a reaction to social media and how everyone in the north is slamming the southerners.

You are right! Except about the bravado from The North. Both my children were off the last two days, this Monday and Tuesday. My wife's work closed @ 4 instead of 9 on Monday. AND... It didn't even snow! Roads were all clear Monday morning ready for business. Things closed becuase of the cold. I agree, very good that they were proactive! This too shall pass. Back to school today and it was -2... Temps now are 6...

The bravado is warranted, it is about planning and knowing the limits. Would it hurt Atlanta to spend a few millions more and keep things ready to go? I understand the geography and the huge population is a factor... But come on! They can't handle summer hurricanes, they can't handle mild winter storms... What gives? Watch the forecast and be proactive then! Have a plan!

K... They screwed up this time... Don't let it happen again... But it will! Welcome to Groundhog Day!

some of these pictures are unbelievable...

http://www.businessinsider.com/atlanta-traffic-jam-pictures-2014-1

What is so unbelievable? Outside of the crashs skidding cars, it looks like the Dan Ryan or Eisenhower in Chicago during a typical rush hour?

Sorry Pooj... I am living the bravado... You gotta understand that us scolded Northerners demand payback! ;-) ;-)

This is 2014... Did they not know the system was coming?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Here's a shot from my office from yesterday. It's Marietta St. Just North of CNN and Congress Center. The every man for himself attitude was definitely in full force. People pulling intersections instead of waiting for the light to cycle. It was taking people an hour just to move down to the next light.

post-2988-0-82025200-1391010737_thumb.jpg

Reporting live from Fayetteville, nc. We have about 3" of snow that fell on about 2" of sleet from yesterday. Roads are still warm enough to make slush. Tonight, the temp drops to about 5 degrees, so it will be solid tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm stuck at home. They don't have the equipment to move all of the snow and salt the roads. I do believe school will be closed till at least Friday. My wife and I are both teachers, and it's the right call to close school down.

Reporting live from Fayetteville, nc. We have about 3" of snow that fell on about 2" of sleet from yesterday. Roads are still warm enough to make slush. Tonight, the temp drops to about 5 degrees, so it will be solid tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm stuck at home. They don't have the equipment to move all of the snow and salt the roads. I do believe school will be closed till at least Friday. My wife and I are both teachers, and it's the right call to close school down.

It sure is the right call to stay closed to Monday! Stay safe.

And... Sorry to be so open and offend anyone's delicate emotions... You know me. IMO, this is very much people induced, not weather induced. This situation was very much preventable. This what happens when huge amounts of people are left to their own defenses. Take a look @ the traffic going the other way in Atlanta... Barely a vehicle. Panic @ the disco in Atlanta! Human nature sucks sometimes.

It is all about working and working hard during winters like this! Everyday, keeping things up and your axe to the grindstone. I could never imagine being so pooped that I couldn't go 48 hours or more without sleep... But some people are like that, they will collapse anywhere. Most people hate physical work. I almost wore out a new snow shovel this year. If I don't go to work and chip ice till my arms are ready to fall off, boats don't move through the ice. Again, this stuff is so people induced. Like lemmings, they all wanted to leave @ the same time. We see this in all big cities when crisis hits! My vaunted, industrious North can equally fall victim to this madness... Just not as easily! Look what happens @ The Ralph when everybody wants to high tail it out of the stadium lots after another Bills humiliating defeat! Panic @ in OP... I have saw fights break out between drivers that didn't want to collaborate and work out a exit plan. I also saw people jump out of cars and attempt to direct traffic and get people to share and take turns! It happens everywhere...

Anyway... I will let it go... Hope everybody stays safe and learns from this!

/rants

Here's a shot from my office from yesterday. It's Marietta St. Just North of CNN and Congress Center. The every man for himself attitude was definitely in full force. People pulling intersections instead of waiting for the light to cycle. It was taking people an hour just to move down to the next light.post-2988-0-82025200-1391010737_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info! Exactly Kev! It happens everywhere, look @ The Ralph on an 80 degree day and getting outta the lots... I see it in the morning on the expressway when I work days, merge weasels shooting up the emergency lane... "Chicago exits" going across 3 lanes to exit... Even in the snow... Everyman for themselves! Isn't this what people are conditioned to think? Then a storm hits and we all gotta collaborate... Ut oh, that's not how it works shifting gears. Again thanks for the update!

How many snow plow trucks does Atlanta operate?

1, 2, 5?

hope those kids stuck in schools and bus's get home

I think they said 50. Bought them after the last snafu in 2011. Problem is with all the traffic they can't get through or touch a lot of the roads. Plus you're talking about a city that takes up a lot of square miles. I have a good buddy from college who also lives down here. We both live in what's considered Atlanta Metro. Door to door is 84 miles.

Edited by Kevbeau