Snowmageddon 2014 in Atlanta

Just in Atlanta

Hey kids, thought you might appreciate this.

In Atlanta, we have an inch or so of snow, 2 to 3 in the burbs. The entire city has been gridlocked since 1. Like 3 hours to go 1 mile gridlocked. I've never seen anything like it. People are leaving their cars on the side of the road to walk home, or to the nearest bar. Some school systems have cancelled busses, leaving the kids at school -- maybe for the night!

On my drive home, I saw two cars that went over embankments -- we couldn't drive more than 5 miles per hour! -- and three people run out of gas.

Not that they're bad drivers; it's just everybody leaving at once in a mid-sized city, and the city not having snow removal equipment, and the fact that the asphalt they use here lends to black ice easier.

In contrast, in Utica once, I remember the snow drifts were higher than our front door.

It'll be funny to see how the NFL and fans react if it snows in Jersey next Sunday.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in NC, the piedmont area, we have less then an inch on the road, maybe a little under and inch off it. They treated it with brime on the major road ways but that does no good when temps are below freezing and there is no chance of it melting. Plows couldn't even touch it if we had them. At the very least everything will be shut down tomorrow. Schools got out at 11am today and are off tomorrow - as of 11am - before it even started.

**** is REAL out there, people!

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/24567336/baby-born-on-i-285-in-snow-traffic

SANDY SPRINGS, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -

A baby was born on the side of the interstate while stuck in traffic Tuesday evening.

The baby girl was delivered by her father and a police officer around 5:25 p.m. on I-285 near Riverside Drive in Sandy Springs.

We have a 2 hour delay for work and I am quite annoyed by that. All or nothing. If I am off then I am not sure what I will end up doing but we will be asked to work Friday.

I don't think they'll be any brime or sand laid down except on freeways. 20 degrees here so surface streets will be an ice rink.

On another note, never heard of Off the Wall before. Post was banished here...

Want another neat trick? Start a thread on TSW titled "Barrack Obama" and for the body of the thread, just put "what are your thoughts on him?" It'll help you find the basement of the site where real posts get banished and idiots get discovered. :D

Sunny, 46 degrees in beautiful Anchorage . No wind. Boy I wish I lived in one of those nice warm southern states.

Two weeks ago, when it was 8 all day long -- 8! -- they made it a point to say Atlanta was 20 degrees colder than Anchorage.

What do you do in Anchorage? Don't hear about too many people moving there.

Atlanta Journal Constitution headlines:

State of emergency declared.

Baby born on I-285

Students stranded in schools.

Fire interrupts MARTA service.

Gridlock overwhelms cell towers.

Snow zombies invade; eat the flesh of the living.

OK, one is made up...but all this over two freaking inches.

Two weeks ago, when it was 8 all day long -- 8! -- they made it a point to say Atlanta was 20 degrees colder than Anchorage.

What do you do in Anchorage? Don't hear about too many people moving there.

Was a mechanic now live mostly off my rental income. Didn't know a soul here or have any job prospects in 1995 when I moved up. I just packed my tools in the truck and drove to Anchorage. Got a job first place I applied been here ever since. Actually the majority of people here are from some where else. Name the state, I know someone from there. Very different from where I lived in NY, every one I knew was 3rd generation.

You drink, shoot guns, drink, shoot guns, and then get a burger and a beer at the Moose's Tooth.

I am not in Fairbanks sir. And that is not a accident.

OK I'm intrigued, and have questions, and I'm snowed in.

1. You moved to Alaska to be a mechanic. I know there wasn't a shortage of mechanics, so what drew you?

2. Is there really a shortage of women there?

3. Cool city to visit? Been wanting to take a trip to the Pacific Northwest / BC / Alaska for some time now.

4. First thing that comes to mind about Anchorage.

Ive been there before...if im not mistaken its not far at all from a couple of hospitals. Yikes...that would be terrifying.

Yep, we do have ourselves a couple of hospitals down here in Atlanta. LOL.

Look, we can amuse Jimmy as he is trying to be all rugged and outdoorsy with all his hard weather but he doesn't know what it is like down South. Real men, mountain men. Lumberjacks. Tough, solid men that work in heat and cold and don't hop along in little snow buggies all day.

Jim can have his Neil Young. We got Skynard.

Look, we can amuse Jimmy as he is trying to be all rugged and outdoorsy with all his hard weather but he doesn't know what it is like down South. Real men, mountain men. Lumberjacks. Tough, solid men that work in heat and cold and don't hop along in little snow buggies all day.

Jim can have his Neil Young. We got Skynard.

Jim doesn't even have Neil Young; that's Canada. All he has is Jewell.