Jim O'Neil hired as Browns DC

BarleyNY

Why would any team keep a person who didn't want to be with that team. Not a productive thing. Say good bye. Don't expect anything for them. They must think they will be better off. Like Marrone said. We want people who want to be in Buffalo. Good additude.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm beginning to suspect that Bills are happy for Pettine to move on. We didn't improve much in run defense. Marrone was happy to "help" him move on.

Honestly, I somewhat got this impression in the presser. Or I could be reading too much into it.

if i recall, wasnt pettine offered an extension and he declined it?

NY media reported (at the time) that Rex had turned over the defense and playcalling to Pettine almost completely in 2011 and 2012 ... and although they did offer him an extension as DC beyond 2012, Rex wanted to take some of the control back in 2013. Pettine felt that was not in his best interest to "go backwards" as he ultimately wanted to be a HC and took an opportunity where he had full control of the defense. Edited by YoloinOhio

Honestly, I somewhat got this impression in the presser. Or I could be reading too much into it.

NY media reported (at the time) that Rex had turned over the defense and playcalling to Pettine almost completely in 2011 and 2012 ... and although they did offer him an extension as DC beyond 2012, Rex wanted to take some of the control back in 2013. Pettine felt that was not in his best interest to "go backwards" as he ultimately wanted to be a HC and took an opportunity where he had full control of the defense.

i was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that over his last 2 years rex had gone back and forth several times on the playcalling. additionally at times, perhaps unfairly, took credit for the success and implied failures were someone elses (pettines) fault. in turn, pettine was likely the one that was leaking info to the media that mightve helped him look good and rex not as much... that pettine got tired of being scapegoat and not in turn getting credit and rex may have been a little regretful in losing pettine was the impression i had of the dynamic by the time it came to a close.

some of that being documented, some of it my attempts at reading between the lines.

Edited by NoSaint

I have the impression that Pettine is a charismatic guy who subcoaches will follow. This is not a good thing for Buffalo regardless of how positive those in the Bills' organization appear to be. We are losing half of our defensive staff and starting anew with a new DC and several key assistants and all that brings; new nomenclature, signals, philosophy etc. It would have been great if, after a year of learning, our D could have taken off from there. In some respects, it's back to the drawing board.

Maybe Marrone should have known this would happen since Pettine did the same to the Jets. I'll bet he didn't think it would happen so soon.

Lets hope Schwartz can gather top assistants but that may be difficult since it's already late in the Lets Hire Some New Coaches game.

This is such a crock of Crap. Every year we make strides, we burn it down. Finally we have a good coach on our staff, and now he's gone... With his coaches.

I have the lowest expectations I have ever had for this team next year. I can't justify spending cash on sunday ticket.

have a snickers.

Hearing O'Neil will be allowed to go to Browns as DC under condition that Browns do not go after any other coach still under contract with Bills. Released coaches obviously still fair game.

This seems to be definitely not true based on quotes from Marrone.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10360843/cleveland-browns-expected-hire-jim-oneil-defensive-coordinator-buffalo-bills-coach-doug-marrone-says

Bills defensive line coach Anthony Weaver, who played for Pettine with the Baltimore Ravensand began his NFL coaching career under Pettine with the Jets, could also be joining the Browns.

"I spoke to [Weaver] today and right now I don't feel good about him coming back," Marrone said.

This seems to be definitely not true based on quotes from Marrone.

http://espn.go.com/n...ug-marrone-says

It makes sense. If Weaver says he doesn't want to be here and would rather go to Cleveland, that's not the guy you want to be coaching your team. I am fine with them releasing guys who don't want to be with the Bills.

Looks like Weaver is gone to Cleveland, per Marrone's comments at the presser ("not feeling good" about him staying).

Me thinks Jim Washburn makes his way here as the DL coach

Edit: oops it appears Caldwell retained him in Detroit

Edited by FluffHead

I have the impression that Pettine is a charismatic guy who subcoaches will follow. This is not a good thing for Buffalo regardless of how positive those in the Bills' organization appear to be. We are losing half of our defensive staff and starting anew with a new DC and several key assistants and all that brings; new nomenclature, signals, philosophy etc. It would have been great if, after a year of learning, our D could have taken off from there. In some respects, it's back to the drawing board.

Maybe Marrone should have known this would happen since Pettine did the same to the Jets. I'll bet he didn't think it would happen so soon.

Lets hope Schwartz can gather top assistants but that may be difficult since it's already late in the Lets Hire Some New Coaches game.

good points, but you are going to have to change that comic sans font, or surrender your man card

So weird... on my phone it shows up as this wedding invitation-like script font. I felt like we were getting an early Valentine from you.

good points, but you are going to have to change that comic sans font, or surrender your man card

I think its his new " mellowed " style. Very nice posting too.

keep in mind folks , its not etiquette to pronounce your hires before all the Leavers have left.. the building : )

Now that they have been , expect some hirings . Bills have had a plan all along . i know right ?

The Weaver statement was weird . I thing Marrone was surprised and is reacting a bit .

So weird... on my phone it shows up as this wedding invitation-like script font. I felt like we were getting an early Valentine from you.

Isn't that just nice !

Wonder what his Dad thinks about all this ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Do we not put too much into coaches? Kyle Williams is going to do something different on the line with a new line coach?? Mario is going to rush harder with a new coach? Not an issue. Lets let the new team get there feet on the ground and not second guess them. It's football. A game. The players do the work. The coaches suggest and than call the plays. The players make the plays. Can't wait for Sept. 2014.